• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChickenOrBeef

Post-Launch Content Strategy Revealed

AnonimVio said:

WHOLE 2 WEEKS EARLIER WOO
That beta key was basically useless.

What is the alternative? No more testing? Now that would be a useless beta test...

If you bought a game just for another games beta, you can't get mad because it didn't turn out the way you like.

I don't really get why the want to make paid maps? What SnapMap is for then? Or SM is sooo fucking restricting so that you simply will never make anything as good as devs themselves(

id.dav said:

I don't really get why the want to make paid maps? What SnapMap is for then? Or SM is sooo fucking restricting so that you simply will never make anything as good as devs themselves(

Of course SnapMap will be restrictive. The devs are basically sculptors, the SnapMap users are Lego builders (or even more restricted). You can do incredible things with Lego, and I am quite sure people will make great things with SnapMap (especially since they can alter game parameters), but they won't have the freedom as the Devs have. Then again, I guess that 99% of the Maps that will be made with SnapMap would have never been made if the user had to start from scratch.

What still stand in between all of this is the uncertainty regarding the player limit of SnapMap maps. Up until now (I hope I missed something and someone corrects me), SnapMap will have a multiplayer limit of 4 players.

I really hope SnapMap has a lot more flexability. For example, You have a block (texture style, color, theme can be edited) and you can carve your own labyrinth/corridor within. You might even be able to add stair ways and stuff as well. That would really be freaking awesome.

The people mess around with SnapMap the more tools and assets id will release.

Zemini said:

What is the alternative? No more testing? Now that would be a useless beta test...

If you bought a game just for another games beta, you can't get mad because it didn't turn out the way you like.

To be fair, the game's probably on the verge of if not already gold, especially by two weeks from now. At that point it's nothing more than free advertising and a way to get people to buy the game via a taste test.

Zemini said:

The people mess around with SnapMap the more tools and assets id will release.

I don't know, wouldn't be easier to just make a regular level editor?

tuo said:

SnapMap will have a multiplayer limit of 4 players.

I just don't get the rationale behind this. Are they merely limit the player count so more people will play official multiplayer maps?

Arl said:

I don't know, wouldn't be easier to just make a regular level editor?

They want to make it easy for Joe-consumer to make maps but not give away to much for talented people to compete with. Considering how hard it is to map for modern FPS, Beth shouldn't be too concerned.

hardcore_gamer said:

I just don't get the rationale behind this. Are they merely limit the player count so more people will play official multiplayer maps?

That definitely has to be a huge factor.

I'd say the MP DLC also makes the odds of us ever getting mod tools even more slim (not that the odds were ever reasonably high to begin with).

AnonimVio said:

WHOLE 2 WEEKS EARLIER WOO
That beta key was basically useless.

Yep, pretty much. We also got to play it for a whopping FOUR DAYS. That's right, not even a week! Yippee!

I'm most salty about not the exclusive multiplayer maps, but the exclusive weapon AND ESPECIALLY THE DEMON.

What if the demon that turns out to be playable is fucking CYBERDEMON? I have to pay just so i can play my childhood nightmare?!!?!

I'm feeling very salty, but the base game seems to still be worth the 60 bucks. SP, MP, and SnapMap seems enough value for me to get it. I just hate that no game is ever worth 60 bucks ONLY. It's always 60 + extra.

The beta does lists two cyberdemon varients, so maybe we'll have a miniature version for MP. Though, I'd love to take charge of an archvile and combust people.

Deatheye said:

It's sad that nowadays games come in a half with the rest being in pieces aka DLC.
Other than that, the premium mp stuff is a bad idea, i mean seriously, DOOM doesn't stand a chance against the likes of BF or COD in terms of mp, why doing that?
I mean sure there are people who are more interested in mp, but the majority will play sp the most before goin in the mp.
Although free updates are a good thing.

hardcore_gamer said:

The nature of dynamic content means you need to serialize said information over the network, and need to lock down just how much of that content you are prepared to send. There is actually a maximum size you can make a network frame, and with current implementations and APIs that's 1400 (datagram MTU size is ~1492 bytes) bytes per frame that you can reliably send and "track" (tracking of UDP datagrams is done through [reverse-]acknowledgment of each possible lifetime frame). Larger values require/invoke fragmentation and will either fail to assemble on a hardware level or will be outright ignored with networking management APIs due to said hardware issue, and fragmenting it on a software level for live playsim frames varies from complicated and inefficient to outright impossible.

The 4 player limit (if there really is a 4 player limit) is likely what they decided on to balance player load and serialized object load for the maps.

If you eliminate the MTU size as an issue and come up with a way to reliably send multiple datagrams per frame, your second issue is the average bandwidth size of your Joe Average's Internet connection using ADSL2 over a copper wire, which cannot be easily guessed and calibrated to. As such, it's much simpler to say "snapmap games will use at most a 100KB/s upstream" and fixate the player counts to that. Remember for each player you have in the game, you have the host needing to yet another complete duplication of the current state.
If your frame is 1000 Bytes, that's 1000 bytes you need to send 3 times for that frame. That's already at least 100KB/s (assuming 30hz network) for just 4 players.

Putting weapons, maps, armor, and a demon behind a paywall is an insult to the whole idea of an arena FPS. And it's sad, because it shows that id doesn't really have any respect for the genre (or its own achievements in it) anymore.

If you don't think that this will amount to pay to win, I've got a bridge to sell you.

It's also funny to me how there's going to be waves of this garbage. As if people will still be playing the game one month after release. Better pre-order them all for the discount!

And speaking of pre-orders, too bad for those people who paid for the "collector's edition." $120 and they don't even get the full game. Wow. But I'm sure they're already ponying up again for the next round.

Technician said:

The beta does lists two cyberdemon varients, so maybe we'll have a miniature version for MP.

The whole idea of having a small cyberdemon just sounds really dumb honestly. I mean what's the point if your going to take away the cyberdemon's single biggest feature: His size.

Zemini said:

I really hope SnapMap has a lot more flexability. For example, You have a block (texture style, color, theme can be edited) and you can carve your own labyrinth/corridor within.

No, it almost certainly will not be that flexible.

Each tile will be a large mostly self-contained area with a fixed number of fixed-shape doorways, and you will probably have to always connect another tile to each doorway. That is my prediction, anyway.

Don't get the hate for the season pass. There is nothing wrong with the idea behind the season pass. It's just a way of getting a discount of all future DLC. Season passes CAN be bad if you get bad value, but this doesn't need to be the case.

hardcore_gamer said:

Don't get the hate for the season pass. There is nothing wrong with the idea behind the season pass. It's just a way of getting a discount of all future DLC. Season passes CAN be bad if you get bad value, but this doesn't need to be the case.

If this was for SP I would have no problem but since this is MP it means the community will be split since not everyone will buy the packs. Same thing happens with BF4.

DooM_RO said:

If this was for SP I would have no problem but since this is MP it means the community will be split since not everyone will buy the packs. Same thing happens with BF4.

I still think most of the hardcore fans will buy them. I know I will pre-order the season pass for no other reason than that this is Doom and thus I must have everything related to it. Call me a sheep if you want but that's just the way it is.

I'm a collector but I won't buy it because it goes against my principles

I buy much doom related stuff but that's just a ripoff in my eyes so I won't support things like that

Imagine if one of the DLC Demons is the Harvester? If that happens...oh boy...but they won't be that stupid

DooM_RO said:

Also Battlefront for example. Whoever pre-ordered got a new game mode and map couple of days earlier than the rest. This short time was enough to segregate the whole player base, and even kill off some lowly populated game modes, because a) the new game mode was quite a lot of fun and b) the map was very good and had great visuals and c) it was new content and people felt entitled to play it (why should I play with those others?). Coupled with the fact that those who had the new map didn't realize that they were segregated from the rest, because they where put into a different queue when choosing "Random" game mode. I myself wondered for days why I only get to play the new map, until I realized this.

After this experience, I no longer underestimate the effect such a thing can have on the player base if done wrong.

I don't know about you guys but i'm fine with DLCs, they're optional and you're not obliged to buy them if you don't like them .

HavoX said:

The paid DLC doesn't bother me. After all, it's not essential to beat the game.

And besides, I think DLC worked well with Super Smash Bros. 4.

Agreed.

I haven't searched, but what's the amount of free DM/MP maps that come stock standard with the game? If it's 10 or more and people are still bitching, they can shove it - Final Doom wasn't free back in the day either, if you recall.

I think that guns in particular being paid is pretty retarded, but meh. It's 2016 guys, this stuff is par for course. If the stuff we get with the standard package is quality, I'm content.