Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChickenOrBeef

Post-Launch Content Strategy Revealed

Gotta say, I'm not feeling super great about paying an extra $40 just for multiplayer perks. Which is funny because I was saying on the Facebook Doomworld group that everyone was getting their panties in a bunch over something that used to be called an "expansion pack." But honestly, this isn't worth 40 bucks, because two decades ago, you paid less (or possibly the same amount, if you take inflation into consideration) for more. It seems really odd that there's lots of goodies for free, but a few perks that don't sound super interesting, that cost as much as a game. I think it'll be worth it, maybe, if this also includes an extensive new campaign.

I would pay $40 for a whole new campaign, assuming the original reaches my standards (which I'm sure it will). If the Season pass promised SP and MP content I wouldn't really care as this is the game I value beyond well... value! However paying for separate MP maps and holding demons classes from others who paid for the full game is definitely an issue imo. As others stated, this risks splitting the community and I doubt Doom will have a strong multiplayer scene like a Battlefield game with large maps and a range of vehicles. Only Snapmap will keep it afloat, not exclusive Deathmatch like levels that lets you play as a pink marine.

So I'm a little conflicted between jumping into the Season Pass bandwagon with deliberate ignorance or biting the bullet and waiting it out until the additional MP content is cheap but also rarely found in rotation and becoming near useless. DLC, a concept that seems beneficial to both companies and consumers alike too often gets mishandled and now is a dirty word. DLC - yuk!

Oh and the whole Beta being available for everyone, removing the value behind an exclusive deal (other than you get to play the Beta twice and having to level up your MP Marine 3 times) somewhat has me feeling a bit cheated as well. I'm neither heavily surprised nor outraged but rather disappointed in Bethesda / ID Software, followed by concern for the future handling of the series.

Don't get me wrong, a company that offers a decent map editor with their games is both great value and a sign of love for the franchise but joining the other titan game companies with questionable DLC / pre-ordering methods has me a little weary of it all.

The base game contains 13+ hour single campaign, snap map, 9 multi-player maps, 4 demons and the 6 game modes.
I'm not sure why people are now saying the base game all of a sudden contains 1 demon and the other 3 are part of the dlc packs it's just retarded.
So potential if they stick with the same model for each pack your getting 9 maps, 3 new demons and weapons plus the cosmetic stuff for $40.
Base game still gets regular patches for balancing, new game modes and additional snap map content.
Overall you getting a shit load of content already in the base game, the MP dev team are probably contracted so the money has to come from somewhere so the team can continue to support the game. People have to remember 10-15 years ago extra maps were free because they probably hired some young aspiring level designer for peanuts to make some maps. Your probably talking of $300-500 a day to higher a pro level designer in today's industry.
There is nothing wrong with season pass when you look at the overall picture and I find it funny half the people complaining are the ones who slagged off the MP anyway.
My only disappointment is no announcement of a single player doc but that might come after the MP stuff hopefully.

This game is gonna deliver what to expect of a Doom game. 13+ campaign (on medium difficulty) is fucking awesome and worth €60 because these days a modern fps game has a campaign of 6+ hours, this is not gonna be a regular campaign like COD Battlefield and an other modern fps game but a badass campaign. Than you have SnapMap, where you can build your own maps and game modes like survival, than you have the multiplayer mode which is awesome from what i have played and seen. I'm gonna buy this season pass because i want everything from this game because this game deserves it. If you find this game awesome why won't you buy dlc then? If i play a game and i like it a fucking lot (which happens not so often) than i buy the dlc. I think they will come with singleplayer dlc after a year or so which was the case with Wolfenstein The New Order.

Krimson Madness said:

LMAO:D DOOM MP is much better than BF and COD MP.

He never said it wasn't, he said it didn't stand a chance, meaning that they will outsell it, as they do with all other FPSes year agter year, and render it obscure and forgotten within a year. Which is sadly true- this game is going to be a failure, no matter how good it is.

TheMightyHeracross said:

this game is going to be a failure, no matter how good it is.

QFT

good AAA games (such as this one by the look of things) are far and few between in modern times. not even accounting for games which only focal point are the single player portion, and as such devs must assure that their game is succesful enough to a)spawn several entries in the franchise, or b)expand on other features as much as possible in an effort to extend its lifetime (in this case, multiplayer)

what i just can't bring myself to grasp is how ID has mentioned a few times how modding is one of doom's stronger points and the reason why its stood the test of time, but instead of opting for hyping up modding for the new game as they should, they insist on solely showcasing multiplayer which will be undoubtedly dead in two months.

Almonds said:

what i just can't bring myself to grasp is how ID has mentioned a few times how modding is one of doom's stronger points and the reason why its stood the test of time, but instead of opting for hyping up modding for the new game as they should, they insist on solely showcasing multiplayer which will be undoubtedly dead in two months.

I think they've been hyping up the multiplayer recently because of the Beta tests. Once we're past the open Beta I expect we'll get at least one more substantial Campaign trailer, and maybe a SnapMap video.

I couldn't give a rat's ass if this doesn't sell as much as COD or BF or whatever, as long as it pays all the dev's bills at the end of the day. Especially in the media marketplace, turds float to the top. Lowest common denominator purchases and all that jazz. Are any of you going to tell me with a straight face that Justin Biber is better than some local band just because he made more money? Yeah, no.

Doomkid said:

I couldn't give a rat's ass if this doesn't sell as much as COD or BF or whatever, as long as it pays all the dev's bills at the end of the day.

In other words, break even. I'm sure that's something Beth wants.

Are any of you going to tell me with a straight face that Justin Biber is better than some local band just because he made more money? Yeah, no.

Objectively, yes. All bands (at least ones without their pretentious head up there asses) want to be successful. I'd rather make American Idiot than continue to try and remake Basket Case while eating macaroni and cheese doing so.

Technician said:

Objectively, yes.

Objectively, no. just because someone makes more money for example with music, it doesn't mean the music is better - it only means that the music is more popular

TheGamePhilosophe said:

Nice one!

But seriously, Bethesda has made the right move here, despite all the complaints on this site.

We'll see. I give the MP 6 months max before it's been abandoned by 80-90% of its initial playerbase.

Doomkid said:

Are any of you going to tell me with a straight face that Justin Biber is better than some local band just because he made more money? Yeah, no.

Exactly what I'm saying. Doom '16 is the local band, Bieber is CoD. While this game is going to be much superior as a game, at the end of the day, CoD sells.

But what does "better" even mean?

I don't like this elitism where people assume that mainstream appeal=bad.

The reason games like CoD are popular is because they are designed to appeal to as many people as possible. Games like Doom are targeted at more precise kinds of gamers. Doom and CoD are just 2 different types of games that serve 2 different kinds of purposes. To claim Doom is better than CoD is like saying Lagavulin 16 is better than Johnny walker black. It just doesn't work that way.

hardcore_gamer said:

But what does "better" even mean?

I don't like this elitism where people assume that mainstream appeal=bad.

The reason games like CoD are popular is because they are designed to appeal to as many people as possible. Games like Doom are targeted at more precise kinds of gamers. Doom and CoD are just 2 different types of games that serve 2 different kinds of purposes. To claim Doom is better than CoD is like saying Lagavulin 16 is better than Johnny walker black. It just doesn't work that way.

If you want to know my opinion about most people who talk shit about cod, I'd say if every COD game is the same then why the FUCK do people talk about the good old days of CoD 2 and 4... they're full of shit, they just don't like it when shit goes full on mainstream...even though it always has been. Sigh

Well that's good to hear. I always liked the Halo games, never liked how I'd have to get an XBox to play them though. That's the problem, I hate the marketing decisions, the games themselves are usually really good.

TheMightyHeracross said:

Exactly what I'm saying. Doom '16 is the local band, Bieber is CoD. While this game is going to be much superior as a game, at the end of the day, CoD sells.

The truthiness of this makes me sad indeed. To respond to Technician's point, I want them to do more than just break even, I just also don't expect them to make more $ than CoD, and when it inevitably generates less cash flow, I won't see that as a 'failure' unless it's greatly below their income projections. Hopefully it will even be successful enough to warrant further installments years down the track.

I think I've figures something out, the only reason this game has load outs and such is for sales. If it would have some type of multiplayer like the original, the game wouldn't sell well due to the mass majority seeing it as something too different and 'bad'

As far as I know, Wolfenstein did pretty well, it sold almost 1.2 million copies on Steam according to Steamspy. http://steamspy.com/app/201810

The numbers on consoles are likely much higher.

I expect Doom to sell even more.

Also, Doom has more buzz than Wolfenstein did, the Fight Like Hell trailer has 6.6 million views. None of the Wolfenstein trailers generated so much buzz.

Of course, review scores are going to be important as well. Wolfenstein did quite well in that regard. I expect Doom to do well too but there are reasons to believe it won't be a huge success (although I'm quite sure it will still be a success). As far as the Beta went, I think there were a lot of small things that could be improved, such as certain weapon sounds.

We'll see.

DooM_RO said:

As far as I know, Wolfenstein did pretty well, it sold almost 1.2 million copies on Steam according to Steamspy. http://steamspy.com/app/201810

The numbers on consoles are likely much higher.

I expect Doom to sell even more.

Also, Doom has more buzz than Wolfenstein did, the Fight Like Hell trailer has 6.6 million views. None of the Wolfenstein trailers generated so much buzz.

Of course, review scores are going to be important as well. Wolfenstein did quite well in that regard. I expect Doom to do well too but there are reasons to believe it won't be a huge success (although I'm quite sure it will still be a success). As far as the Beta went, I think there were a lot of small things that could be improved, such as certain weapon sounds.

We'll see.

I hope your right, If Doom reviews worse than Wolfenstein I'll be in shock.

Saying that I am a bit worried that kotaku and pc gamer voiced some negativity with beta previews (I know its only 2 peoples opinion but I know many who go by pc gamer scores as fact).

Regarding Kotaku they have always written shit piece articles on Bethesda \ ID (prey 2 and doom development hell) so wouldn't surprise me if they made that click bait headline for doom beta to make their previous news pieces come across as justified. Maybe I am looking at this stuff to deep lol.

Anyway many others have said Doom is more about the single campaign, which in my mind it is and I have no doubt its going to be a lot better than Wolfenstein was (which looking back on in TNO wasn't that great, TOB expansion was much better).

archvile82 said:

Regarding Kotaku they have always written shit piece articles on Bethesda \ ID (prey 2 and doom development hell) so wouldn't surprise me if they made that click bait headline for doom beta to make their previous news pieces come across as justified. Maybe I am looking at this stuff to deep lol.

You're not. Kotaku is a piece of shit. I'm also pretty sure they're blacklisted by Bethesda for digging up dirt so it wouldn't surprise me if they were to write a very critical review of DOOM4.

archvile82 said:

Might have something to do with this.

http://kotaku.com/a-price-of-games-journalism-1743526293

Touchdown said:

Kotaku is a piece of shit. I'm also pretty sure they're blacklisted by Bethesda for digging up dirt

Are you suggesting these are related? That Kotaku is a piece of shit because they dared to report on the unannounced Fallout 4 / wrote about the canceled Doom 4 project?

On a related note, I've kind of wondered if Doomworld is blacklisted for our thread on the Doom 4 cutscene footage, or if it's just because no one at id / Bethesda cares about this tiny website.

Linguica said:

Are you suggesting these are related? That Kotaku is a piece of shit because they dared to report on the unannounced Fallout 4 / wrote about the canceled Doom 4 project?

On a related note, I've kind of wondered if Doomworld is blacklisted for our thread on the Doom 4 cutscene footage, or if it's just because no one at id / Bethesda cares about this tiny website.

I wouldn't call it tiny.

I'm suggesting that Kotaku might tear DOOM4 apart just because they've been blacklisted. It's not Elder Scrolls or Fallout so nobody outside of a DOOM community would really be offended by a negative review of an id game (provided the game is actually good, of course). But that's just me guessing. I have other reasons to dislike that site but I don't think we should go there.

As for DW, I've also wondered what is id's / Beth's take on it. They don't seem to care much about it but I don't know why. It might have to do with the leaks or maybe it's just not the 'DOOM community' that is relevant to them.

DooM_RO said:

I wouldn't call it tiny.

Agreed. While this isn't the 'only Doom community', so to speak, I'd say (At least from my perspective) it's the [i]main Doom community[i]; with over 15 years of long term usage and possibly the main reason Doom is still a thing today.

...But from the whole Kotaku/journalism perspective, I'd imagine this site doesn't have as much influence on game sales as those sites do, so it is perhaps considered 'tiny' in that regard..?