Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Development hell

DoomUK said:

I'm a bit out of the loop here, but did that even have anything to do with Doom 4? Looks to me like they were brainstorming a Rage sequel/prequel.

They wanted to make something like a modernised Doom 2: Hell on Earth, but it turned out to be a Call of Doom.

DoomUK said:

I'm a bit out of the loop here, but did that even have anything to do with Doom 4? Looks to me like they were brainstorming a Rage sequel/prequel.

Yes it WAS Doom 4. Good thing it got leaked... Or else we would have an official CoD version of Doom, instead of modern '90s version of Doom.

Off topic.

"Call of Doom," as it's so cutely named, represented a spiritual crisis within id. They took their flagship series and tried to, as with Doom 3, do something new. But instead of just ended up being generic and lacking distinction. They thought they were making the the next great Doom game, but initial backlash informed them well. There's a real lack of inspiration in that video and in the leaked screenshots. Does it look good? Sure. Does it look competent? Sure. Does it look fun? Yeah, a bit. But does it look Doom-y? Not really. I think it was an incredibly bold move to look at it and say, "Yeah, we could release this and make money, but it sucks and people don't like it. Let's do this right." That sentiment, which I respect so much, is why my nitpicking about Doom '16 has been little more than "the cyberdemon is a hunchy moose" and "SnapMap might not allow much variation."

It's a shame about Hellraid, I was looking forward to it. I guess I would of been disappointed if they did release it at its current state.

baronofheck82 said:

Does Doom Millennium count?

Last post was Jan 29 2013. Millennium is dead. Long live Millennium.

DoomUK said:

Apparently, I'm not sure, this was going to be Doom but they were dissatisfied with it and probably for good reason. They should just keep the assets and make a completely different game, kind of like how an unsatisfactory version of Resident Evil 4 spawned Devil May Cry.

RTC-3057. And no, the first hub doesn't count.

Piper Maru said:

Doom 3: Phobos

Development hell or development limbo is media industry jargon for a state during which a film or other project remains in development without progressing to production. A film, video game, television program, screenplay, computer program,[1] concept, or idea stranded in development hell takes an especially long time to start production, or never does. Projects in development hell are not officially cancelled, but work on them slows or stops.

Phobos has never been in development hell.

Shaviro said:

Development hell or development limbo is media industry jargon for a state during which a film or other project remains in development without progressing to production. A film, video game, television program, screenplay, computer program,[1] concept, or idea stranded in development hell takes an especially long time to start production, or never does. Projects in development hell are not officially cancelled, but work on them slows or stops.

Phobos has never been in development hell.

Thanks for the clarification! So can we expect a 2025 release?

Now THAT could probably be classified as development hell like HavoX stated. It is not being worked on, but it was never cancelled either. For Phobos it's more that developing it has been hell :)

But seriously, the project has never slowed down, changed engines, general design or whatever. The story outline has been the same for all these years. We know where it's headed and how to get there, but it takes a lot of time. So be it, we're seeing it through. We've had a plethora of unlucky circumstances, but it has never been in any sort of limbo. Changes/updates on the project are committed ~3 times a day on average. 365 times a year. This is quite the achievement seeing we are only 3 active developmers on the project ;)

Shaviro said:

Now THAT could probably be classified as development hell like HavoX stated. It is not being worked on, but it was never cancelled either. For Phobos it's more that developing it has been hell :)

But seriously, the project has never slowed down, changed engines, general design or whatever. The story outline has been the same for all these years. We know where it's headed and how to get there, but it takes a lot of time. So be it, we're seeing it through. We've had a plethora of unlucky circumstances, but it has never been in any sort of limbo. Changes/updates on the project are committed ~3 times a day on average. 365 times a year. This is quite the achievement seeing we are only 3 active developmers on the project ;)

Oh I've been paying attention to Phobos since it was first announced years ago, it's one project I've been looking forward to. The glimpses into the game you have offered are very promising, and I can only imagine how mind blowing the final product will be. I can see a lot of devotion going into this project, I can't even begin to understand the difficulties of working with the Doom 3 editor. The only thing I can offer are annoying questions such as "Is it done yet?" which I'm sure you've grown tired of. So I hope my silly posts weren't taken too seriously. Regardless, I wish you a continued good luck on the project.

Speaking of Doom 3 projects, do you remember a mod called Recall To Hell, whatever happened to that?

dethtoll said:

I wonder whatever happened to HACX 2.0?

Its still in development, and making good progress... In a state like Doom 3:Phobos.

Assets aren't complete, so mapping will come later.

Maybe the guys aiding Freedoom could contribute something to increase development.