Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

What song do you want played at your funeral and why?

To remind loved ones that death is, in the grand scheme of things, one of many inevitabilities of our existence. This life, for all we know, is the only one we have, so we ought to make the most of it.

No need for the funeral, thanks. Just throw my body in the forest so I could at least serve my natural purpose as a fertilizer.

PS: a

> What song do you want played at your funeral and why?
> 33 replies
> No one linked the song "Funeral" by God himself.

Maybe if they were traditional funerals, but I get the feeling most of the people commenting would prefer a happier celebration than the classic depiction of a funeral. The one I posted is very bittersweet which seems perfectly appropriate, really.

The problem with wanting a happy celebration at your funeral is that often times that's not what the living want or feel up for. Good luck telling a mother that her son's death should be celebrated. Though of course we all want to pretend that we can just tell people to not mourn our passing and they won't. I think a happy funeral would be too much for most people to handle, at least in a country like the US. I wouldn't have been able to handle it when my mom passed; I know that.

Funerals serve a purpose being somber things because it gives us a chance to let out our feelings and for others to share in our grief while we share in theirs; all of us being equal in our grief, and there is some solidarity to be had in that Spaghetti (is the word my phone thinks should complete the sentence, imagine that; even my phone don't give me any respect) in that. The feeling of togetherness through and during times of intense emotion shared across a room of people helps to give you a sense of place, a sense of belonging, and a reminder that you are not alone; though you suffer, life goes on and so does the world, all of which are what most people need at that time. Sometimes you also look around the room and think about who's gonna drop next and eventually everyone here will be-- but as poisonous as that thought is it does help to put things into perspective. All life ends; something we accept, but it is important to be around people that feel the same in those times of sorrow to pull hope from and to give hope to. Seeking comfort in giving comfort, so to speak. I think I would have been much better off if I lived near her side of the family to be able to have many people to talk to after the funeral.

Its comforting to know that its not customary to play ones favorite song at their funeral. Ughh its weird to think about bailing on a friends funeral because you hate the music they like. Or going to someone's funeral you seldom know because you've got great music compatibility.

40oz said:

Its comforting to know that its not customary to play ones favorite song at their funeral. Ughh its weird to think about bailing on a friends funeral because you hate the music they like. Or going to someone's funeral you seldom know because you've got great music compatibility.

Yeah, funerals should be all about not offending my preferences.

That's a very selfish way to look at it.

It'd be cool to play one of the hokey, almost-boring tracks from Doom -- "In the Dark", "Waiting for Romero to Play", "They're Going to Get You", or "The Healer Stalks".