Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Northern_fluff_bunny

Noob question: Why can't I get a door to work on Slade 3?

Recently found out how 'easy' making doom maps is nowadays and wanted to give it a spin. Found a seemingly reliable guide to it (https://eev.ee/blog/2015/12/19/you-should-make-a-doom-level-part-1/) but got stuck on door, literally. I have double checked several times that everything goes according to the guide. The door just doesnt open, it kinda rises few mm and then gets stuck. I am stumped.

Heres few screenshots about the situation: https://imgur.com/a/A2E4i

Those sectors on either side of it, what is their ceiling height? A door will only open to 8 units below the lowest adjacent ceiling. If those sectors are just supposed to be solid wall, you might be better off deleting them. If you want to keep low ceilings next to the door you might have to make a small pillar on either side of the door to allow it to fully open.

If you are fully intent on keeping those low ceilings, I suggest using a lift door instead (door drops to floor). Or, if its a single use door, try floor or ceiling changes.

Not entirely sure what I am missing here. I removed the sectors and made it so that the door has only walls next to it but the problem persists. The ceiling in front and back of the door is same height so that can't be the issue. I don't understand how or why but whenever I try to make a door, the slade insists of turning the wall into several sectors.

Make sure that the door consists of only ONE sector, this sector's LOWEST NEIGHBORING SECTOR'S CEILING HEIGHT is as high as you want the door to raise up to, and there are NO unnecessary linedefs (or sectors) INSIDE the door.

A door will only raise as high at the lowest neighboring sector, minus 8 units.

That means that if you do something funny such as putting two doors next to each other, then they'll be each other's lowest neighboring sectors, and when you open one, it will actually sink into the ground instead of raising!

Northern_fluff_bunny said:

Not entirely sure what I am missing here. I removed the sectors and made it so that the door has only walls next to it but the problem persists. The ceiling in front and back of the door is same height so that can't be the issue. I don't understand how or why but whenever I try to make a door, the slade insists of turning the wall into several sectors.

If you can upload the wad somewhere I'm sure someone can tell you what is happening

BrainMuncher said:

A door will only open to 8 units below the lowest adjacent ceiling.

Gez said:

A door will only raise as high at the lowest neighboring sector, minus 8 units.

In fact it's 4 units, not 8 - just a nitpick.

Well, the sector on your door's back side has height 0, which is why the door can't raise any higher, which you'd understand if you read other replies in this thread.

scifista42 said:

Well, the sector on your door's back side has height 0, which is why the door can't raise any higher, which you'd understand if you read other replies in this thread.

No, I understood the issue, it was just me being rtard and trying to figure out the issue in 3d mode when I shoulda been in sector mode. Thanks all for the help, now the door works.