Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

"Castleveinyeah"

UPDATESTED:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/39svq6sco5yprq5/Castlevania85.wad

There are currently 6 UDMF Doom 2 levels in the works and I am looking for some constructive criticisms and any kind of help that anyone would be willing to lend.

Texturing is not my strong suit and this is emphasized by the way that 3D Floors work. It's difficult to multi-layer textures without dummy sectors and doing that is a lot of work. I originally wanted to be done with this project by my birthday in late July, but I'm thinking that it's going to take much longer than that.

I don't feel like it's Castlevania without a whip and I don't have the patience or artistic skill to accomplish this task, so I may drop the Castlevania theme and shoot for something in a similar vein.

The map order is a little backwards. Map06 is actually Map01. 1 = 2, 2 = 3, 3 = 4, 4 = 5, 5 = 6. I have either two or three or four more maps to make depending on how I can get things to flow. Currently most levels are connected to one another, so there should be some familiarity with new maps from the previous.

Play with lights.pk3 and Gamma 1.0

Screenshots:

Map 03
More

Spoiler

Map 05

Map 05

Map 04

Map 04

Map 03

You will need the Gothics Texture pack from Afterglow.
http://www.doomworld.com/afterglow/textures/zips/gothictx.zip

[THANKS TO REALM 667 for custom monsters] also to Scifista42, Gez, Gemini09 and others for the coding help. Thanks to everyone who has helped me learn. Chubz, SublimelyElogant... Thanks, Skizzlers (Twitch)https://www.twitch.tv/skizzlerzz/profile, John Suitepee (Twitch)https://www.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee/profile for playing my wads. Input is clutch. Seriously. Big thanks.

Please offer suggestions. Maybe I can even make a whip. I'm excited.

Edit: (5/9/2016)

I was going to do this at the end, but I think I better start keeping track of my sources. I'm sure people would appreciate it anyway and it'll make my .txt all the easier.

Credits:
Spoiler

Code: Scifista42 (big help)

Sprites:
Monsters:
Name: Azazel
Difficulty: Very Hard
Connection: None
Summon: Azazel
Melee: No
Distance: Projectile
Type: Demon
Decorate: DBThanatos
GLDEFs: Ghastly Dragon
Sounds: Blizzard (Diablo)
Sprites: Vader
Sprite Edit: DBThanatos
Idea Base: Classical image of Baphomet

Name: Bat
Difficulty: Very Easy
Connection: Part of Imp Warlord
Summon: BatFamiliar
Melee: Yes
Distance: None
Type: Animal, Critter
Submitted: Tormentor667
Decorate: Espi, Popsoap
Sounds: Raven Software
Sprites: Raven Software

Name: Female Scientist Zombie
Connections: None
Summon: FemaleScientist
Type: Human, Undead
Submitted: scalliano
Decorate: scalliano
Sounds: DavidRaven, Id Software, Konami
Sprites: Id Software, the Skulltag Team (Illucia, Player II), DavidRaven
Sprite Edit: scalliano
Idea Base: The UAC's apparent lack of staff

Name: Flying Imp
Difficulty: Easy
Summon: FlyingImp
Distance: Projectile
Submitted: Maelstrom
Decorate: Maelstrom
GLDEFs: Dreadopp
Sounds: Id Software
Sprites: Id Software, Raven Software
Sprite Edit: Maelstrom
Idea Base: Enjay's Flying Imp front angle from Nightmare's "Beastiary"

Name: Former UAC Scientists
Connections: Zombieman, Shotgun Guy, Female Zombie
Summon: ZombieScientist3, ZombieScientist4, FemaleScientist3, FemaleScientist4
Type: Human, Undead
Brightmaps: No
Added States: No
ACS: No
Submitted: scalliano
Decorate: scalliano
Sounds: Id Software, DavidRaven, Konami, Valve
Sprites: Id Software (Zombieman), JoeyTD (Player 6, 7 & 8 frames), The Skulltag Team (Illucia, Player II), DavidRaven (Female Zombie), Marty Kirra (Diaz, Alt Female Zombie), NMN, Tormentor667 (Rapid Fire Zombie), Woolie Wool (SMG Zombie), Vader (Chaingun Major), Mike12 (Revy Skin), solarsnowfall (Steam Sprites)
Sprite Edit: scalliano
Idea Base: The UAC's apparent lack of staff

Name: Imp Trite
Connection: none
Summon: SpiderImpHead
Submitted: Tormentor667
Decorate: Neoworm
Sounds: Id Software
Sprites: Id Software
Sprite Edit: Neoworm

Name: Terminator
Difficulty: Very Hard
Summon: Terminator
Distance: Projectile, Hitscan
Type: Demon, Cybernetic
Brightmaps: Yes
Submitted: Vader
Decorate: Vader
GLDEFs: Dreadopp, Sandypaper (Brightmaps)
Sounds: Id Software, Blizzard Entertainment, Vader
Sprites: Vader, Eriance (cannon base)

Thanks to everyone who has played my maps and given me feedback.

...and many more. You'll get your name etched in stone.

I really like the architecture in this and the use of the GZDoom assets were well done.

However, I did notice that one switch was right up on the ceiling rather than being in plain sight, though I guess that was deliberate. The door looks a bit funny to me though.

I also came across a HOM effect with one door in the bit after you get the red keycard. I'm guessing you haven't finished this bit?

Finally, this console was a pain. I felt the fiddly buttons were unnecessary.

Also, there was one error with a door. On one side I'm guessing it was marked to execute script 8, but it couldn't find said script.

The gameplay I thought was pretty solid, though ammo was a bit plentiful towards the end. Some of the encounters were nice, though the one where the four pillars lowered down was rather lacklustre. The bathroom one was nice though.

If you fixed up some of the stuff mentioned above, I'd say you have a real nice map.

PseudoGold said:

I really like the architecture in this and the use of the GZDoom assets were well done.

However, I did notice that one switch was right up on the ceiling rather than being in plain sight, though I guess that was deliberate. The door looks a bit funny to me though.

http://i.imgur.com/7G5AvlJ.png

I also came across a HOM effect with one door in the bit after you get the red keycard. I'm guessing you haven't finished this bit?

http://i.imgur.com/U3mPxVP.png

http://i.imgur.com/FvdN4ho.png

Also, there was one error with a door. On one side I'm guessing it was marked to execute script 8, but it couldn't find said script.

The gameplay I thought was pretty solid, though ammo was a bit plentiful towards the end. Some of the encounters were nice, though the one where the four pillars lowered down was rather lacklustre. The bathroom one was nice though.

If you fixed up some of the stuff mentioned above, I'd say you have a real nice map.

That switch is for a secret that requires a little bit of timing and good accuracy. (It's how you get the health kit. The door is off center on purpose. (I just like how it looks.)

I haven't quiet figured out how to write the script. I just want it to say, "This door cannot be opened from here."

Thank you for looking at it. How do you feel about the texture variety?

everennui said:

That switch is for a secret that requires a little bit of timing and good accuracy. (It's how you get the health kit. The door is off center on purpose. (I just like how it looks.)

I haven't quiet figured out how to write the script. I just want it to say, "This door cannot be opened from here."

Think I have a solution for that

script 8 (void)
{
print(s:"This door is oddly stuck");
}

This should compile hopefully. I've just altered something I've done in a wad I'm working on. The script should print the message in the middle of the screen in gold letters (seemingly the default for zdoom).
EDIT: Yeah this will compile in GZDoom Builder. Since the ACS is the same for ZDoom no matter the fomat, this will work as intended.

PseudoGold said:

Think I have a solution for that

script 8 (void)
{
print(s:"This door is oddly stuck");
}

This should compile hopefully. I've just altered something I've done in a wad I'm working on. The script should print the message in the middle of the screen in gold letters (seemingly the default for zdoom).
EDIT: Yeah this will compile in GZDoom Builder. Since the ACS is the same for ZDoom no matter the fomat, this will work as intended.

Damn. I was so close. I forgot the "s:" Thanks!

PseudoGold said:

http://i.imgur.com/7G5AvlJ.png

http://i.imgur.com/U3mPxVP.png

http://i.imgur.com/FvdN4ho.png

I think you are right about the buttons. In my next release I intend to make the background of the console have the tag, but retain the interactivity of the buttons just for an extra little touch. I find pushing them is not as easy as I'd've hoped.

I've greatly reworked this map and I've decided to make it part of a 5-7 level mapset . I want it to have a feel of Castlevania. Sounds like a fun project and it might sharpen some of my skills. The maps will all be connected somehow - meaning that you will see repeated parts, but I think this gives it a similar feel to Castlevania.

This map, (MAP 05) will likely be a level 4 or 5 in the finished product, so it is supposed to be hard. I've played it a ton and am at the point where I've far exceeded the learning curve that I suspect anyone will ever achieve. I would love another beta test if someone has the time. In return, I'll do the same for you. I will put in just as much or more effort in to my test of yours. If you don't map, you can choose someone else from the community for me to test.

I know a lot of us have projects that we are working on that take up time and I really appreciate anyone who takes a minute or 10 to play my maps... so thanks in advance.

Edit: I do intent to put lighting in. I should have just waited for that. Should be up soon. (ADDED)

Edit (5/9/2016): I've completed "Map 04" (no monsters yet) (I'm sure they'll have to be moved around. I'd like to hear what people have to say. The link is updated above.

Hopefully it's not to esoteric for me to bring attention to the fact that there are to threads dealing with the theme of Castlevania. I did not know someone else was doing a project of this nature... I'm kind of at a loss for what to do. I've bumped xenoxols thread, asking if he'd like to collaborate.

He's got at least a whip... so that seems pretty serious.

Anyway... here's his thread.
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/85690-castlevania-doom-wip/

Looks promising! And I don't think it'd be a problem to have more than one CastleVania themed project.

I hope the combat itself remains Doom style though with shotguns etc in your maps.

Well since this is Castlevania....

I wonder if you're going to fighting actual Vampires, Werewolves and other Werecreatures, Ghosts, etc alongside the Doom demon cast? Also is Dracula himself the final boss?

Well it be cool if someone made sprites of the Castlevania monsters to be FPS compatible...

Jannak said:

Well since this is Castlevania....

I wonder if you're going to fighting actual Vampires, Werewolves and other Werecreatures, Ghosts, etc alongside the Doom demon cast? Also is Dracula himself the final boss?

Well it be cool if someone made sprites of the Castlevania monsters to be FPS compatible...

Unfortunately I am not a sprite artist. I think I will have make a whip, but I'm putting that off as long as possible. There are some custom monsters now from various places, but no Dracula. :( If someone has the skills I would love to collaborate.

I have a much more updated version to post soon.

The first two levels are now playable and beatable, but with only one difficulty setting.

Hint:

Spoiler

The flashlight is your friend. Find the flashlight.

I've decided that I'm going to ditch the Castlevania theme and go a different route. I've been searching very hard for a whip and I've come across a few, but the one that stands out the most is definitely xenoxols' ... who actually happens to be the modder behind the OTHER Castlevania themed project here on Doomworld.

I've recently contacted xenoxols' on zdoom through a private message and now also on his thread that he has recently bumped, saying, there was an update on the way. Here is that thread: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=47311&p=920475#p920475

He has not gotten back to me, but I don't think it should be an issue to make this wad with his assets in mind. People do that for Brutal Doom. That's legit, right?

Addendum: Here is a direct link to the Indiana Jones mod he is working on:
https://www.mediafire.com/?6fzbf2hc16cx76v
Here is the most updated version of my project:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/dnzcvn7d4ccziad/Castlevania85%282%29.wad
...and you will need gothic textures as well.

You should experiment with shadows and brightness differences more. Looking at the screenshot above and some in your first post, a couple of areas look too washed out due to the lighting being the same. Try placing some torches and lights around them to make things seem more lively.

Hey, you are free to use anything in my indiana jones mod as long as you give proper credit. Though I must say it it is one of my older mods and I consider it subpar, but whatever.

I know this topic is a few months old, but PLEASE tell me this is still being worked on. This looks great so far and would love to see a finished version.

I haven't worked on it in a while. It's kind of on low while I'm working on other things, but I do think about it from time to time. After the 20th I'll probably give it a once or twice over.

Honestly, it was more of an exercise to learn new things and get better at mapping. In retrospect naming it after Castlevania kind of limited me and put unneeded pressure that my limitations are unable to accomplish.

If I name it something else, I'll garner a little more steam. It just doesn't have a Castlevania feeling to me.

I do like the maps, but I am stuck at a fork in the road.