Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest MIND

DOTA 2 is really confusing

Guest MIND

I downloaded this free to play game on Steam and it's really difficult to figure out.

I love Diablo, Starcraft, and Command & Conquer so I thought I'd like this since it's an extension of Warcraft but the menus are so convoluted and hard to process. Too much information at once makes this game ruined for me.

What do you all think about the most played game on Steam?

I wish I could get myself to figure it out but I end up playing Path of Exile instead.

Don't play it! You'll get really addicted! My cousin already spent several thousands hours on it and still playing! Yes, that's bad. This game is also full of degenerates!

Guest MIND
ChekaAgent said:

Don't play it! You'll get really addicted! My cousin already spent several thousands hours on it and still playing! Yes, that's bad. This game is also full of degenerates!

It's not addicting, just confusing as shit.

MINDustry said:

It's not addicting

well i mean

it's my most-played game on steam

1,345 hours

1768% more time than second place

DOTA 2 has a huge learning curve. It may, superficially, appear to be a mashup of the RTS and ARPG genres, and it shares mechanics with those games, but it plays nothing like them.

Despite it's learning curve, it's not that complex. There may be a lot to learn, but it's all in small chunks, and I think that's part of how people get sucked into MOBAs. You only need to know all the heroes on a superficial level to get by, and you only need to learn a few skills and items to pick up a hero. Otherwise, they have one or two maps you need to learn, and how things like creeps or towers work.

I didn't actually care for it, as far as MOBAs go. The only MOBA I've ever seriously played is League, and while I think it's mechanically more satisfying and easier to pick up, it comes with its own set of ridiculous problems. DOTA 2 is far slower and has way more stuff you need to learn. I don't really get the appeal of it. I do respect it for being mechanically sound and having a good business model, I just don't care to play it.

I do want to see a game singleplayer mechanically like a MOBA, but applied to the ARPG genre. When I played League, a lot of champions were fun to play, but competitive 5v5 on the same map over and over bounces between annoying, boring, and stressful, only occasionally interrupted by moments of fun. That's gonna be a constant in any MOBA.

Three of my friends have Dota 2 (but stopped playing for the exams).
Anyway, two just went back to Fifa, but the other is a hardcore fan.

They even tried to get me to play Dota 2... HOHOHOHOHOHOHO!

No offense, but I dislike these weird fantasy games with weird characters and weird weapons.
(Which is why I also quit Clash of Clans after going to level 4... the friend who told me to get it had a level 40+... that made me think how addictive such games can be. I like things casual.)

I'm genuinely glad games like this bore me due to my slightly addictive personality - I only have a few hours per week for gaming at this point, and Doom/Street Fighter's "pick it up and play for a bit" nature suits me perfectly. My older brother can't get enough of those kinds of games, though.

I played League seriously for about a year and Dota 2 for slightly less than that but quickly got burned out on the whole genre. The one competitive map shtick gets old and bad, frustrating games are quite frequent especially when playing competitively on ladder. Nothing quite like playing a shitty 40 minute match and coming out of it with negative enjoyment.

Never going to try it, not after I quit League after 7 months. Assholes, dude. Never play MOBAs, you'll get sick of having about 3 of these no-fun dicks on your team each game.

ChekaAgent said:

Ya I know a friend who also has 2100 something hours, but he would just leave the game open in the lobby 24/7 lol

I installed Dota 2 today with intent to play, but I think I'll pass on it. It's really confusing to get into, and there's usually THAT guy who shits on everyone for not being members of team fucking liquid or something. However, this isn't all of them. There are definitely some pretty nice people in the community, from my limited experience. But I'll pass.

4620 matches, 4214 hours spent, not counting smurfs. I don't see the idea behind LoL or other mobas but each for their own, I guess. Second most played game is TF2 with 1059 hours.

I used to think that mobas have really toxic scene, but now I know it's not the mobas. It is the people in general over internet D: