Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HorrorMovieRei

A mathematical question about Doom

Thought this should go on EE since it's more about math, than about Doom.
Anyways, I am pretty terrible at math, but I have started to study it again because I'm gonna need it in the near future.
I've decided to start my studies by calculating the probabilities of stuff that happens in Doom. Right now I'm calculating the probabilities of things relating to the SSG, like the probability of all of the SSG hitscans doing the same damage, and the probability of none of the hitscans stunning the different monsters(I might make a thread about all my results if they're interesting enough).
Now here's the thing, bear with me, because as I've said, I'm really bad at this. The Zombieman's pain chance is 200, so by my calculations, he would enter his pain state 78.43% of the time he's attacked, because

___ = 0,7843 = 78.43%

BUT, in the wiki, it says that it is actually 79.30% of the time. At first I just thought it had been rounded up, but that doesn't make sense, because if it were rounded up, it would just be 79%, without the 0.30 extra. So here's the question, which result is right? Did I get it wrong? Or is the wiki wrong? Or does the engine have some quirk that raises the probability of them feeling pain, even if only slightly so?

The random number generator is not perfectly random - some numbers are generated more or less often, and that skews the percentages. And the doomwiki is weirdly anal about it.

Which wiki? doomwiki.org, which is the one most people actually use, or doom.wikia.com, which has been abandoned by the main staff because of Wikia being Wikia and is apparently being run by a certain troll going by the name of Doomguy 2000.

If you got that information from the ladder, and it is either different or non-existant in the former, there's a good chance that the ladder information is suspect.

Linguica said:

The random number generator is not perfectly random - some numbers are generated more or less often, and that skews the percentages. And the doomwiki is weirdly anal about it.

Oh okay, that explains it. Thanks.

Danfun64 said:

Which wiki?

I only use the Doomwiki.org. I'm aware that the other one is abandoned.