Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xerge

Synthwave

There aren't enough people posting Waveshaper here... this is my definition of masculine and badass synth... ;P

Thanks for the post btw, AD_79!! If you haven't seen this fan made video then I highly suggest you do!

And while I'm at it...

Honestly all this stuff sounds the same and really isn't representative of 80's music at all. I just don't see the appeal

Mr. Freeze said:

Honestly all this stuff sounds the same and really isn't representative of 80's music at all. I just don't see the appeal

You need to watch more John Carpenter movies.

StevieCybernetik said:

You need to watch more John Carpenter movies.

Carpenter is my favorite director actually. I love his movies and his music, that's why I don't settle for pale imitations.

Mr. Freeze said:

i know that it isn't really representative of 80s music as a whole, but it doesn't have to be. i wouldn't dream of attempting to convince you that all synthwave doesn't sound the same; i doubt that would be a productive conversation. if you don't like it, that's cool! i do.

Mr. Freeze said:

Carpenter is my favorite director actually. I love his movies and his music, that's why I don't settle for pale imitations.

I've literally linked tracks from John Carpenter's 2016 synthwave album in this thread. He's on the bandwagon and enjoying it. Checkmate, atheists.

Some good tracks I've heard recently:

Btw, which synthwave tracks out there are most similar to harold faltermeyer's work?

TheWizard said:

Motorcycle Cop is probably the best Synthwave song I've ever heard. Most other songs just sound too similar to each other to me.

there are definitely some synthwave templates, going beyond the idea of outrun as a genre and more like a format. for example i love perturbator but the whole night driving avenger --> payback pursuit --> raining steel --> complete domination feels like rewriting the same basic song, though I like how it's iterated on and love the later incarnations. you can sort of see the same basic pattern in the buildup of the new black seguing into retrogenesis on i am the night and welcome back seguing into perturbator's theme on dangerous days. but i think pertub's songwriting keeps it from feeling less similar than, say, the entire catalogue of sellorekt/la dreams, who i jokingly think of as the paul corfiatis of synthwave

I love synthwave, therefore I love this topic!

Lazerhawk, Kavinsky, Carpenter Brut, everything above, I love it.

Here are a couple tracks that aren't synthwave, but would probably be appreciated by Synthwave fans. 80s groovin' synth tracks (guitar driven, like some Kavinsky).

Macho Private Eye aka Speed Boat by Paul Keogh (can be heard in Saints Row IV on your spaceship) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4btFdQyxsY

Green Light aka Cops on a Bike by Paul Keogh https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhdsjw8D-is

And of course, the main inspiration for Synthwave (tied with John Carpenter perhaps), Giorgio Moroder! Track: Midnight Express (this bumpin jam won an Oscar by the way)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk6EucF-tsM

kmxexii said:

more blazing outrun
"Nightstop - Power Prostitute"

I didn't think id get into synthwave but this track sold me. I cant stop listening to it.

Dont think this one has been posted yet. I like the dirty sound. This song has a really good...drive, if I can use that word.

marxr said:

Sorry, but if you want to look at the late 70's and 80's in search of the origins of the synthwave sound, I think you're off the mark. There's just not enough synth/electronica/distortion in it, it's just hammy 80's rock.

What you want is John Carpenter, of course. Also Goblin, Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream. Then Brad Fiedel's Terminator score, Harold Faltermeyer's Axel F theme, Vangelis' End Credits of Blade Runner, so on and so forth.

Also obviously this.

And very much less obviously this, coming from a very shitty direct-to-video movie, heh. I unironically love it.

dew said:

Sorry, but if you want to look at the late 70's and 80's in search of the origins of the synthwave sound, I think you're off the mark.

It's very welcome in my book. We all love synthwave in here, but a lot of the lesser known guys just sound kind of samey. Even if an 80s rockin jam such as that isn't quite the exact thing, it still spices up the thread.

And considering these synthwave tracks often have clips or pics of Schwarzenneger and other 80s action stuff in their youtube vids, I'm sure some of them rocked out to that track. Tracking influences is also interesting.

I love Goblin, but somebody could say "hey that's not synthwave" too, and it's not. It's groovin' atmospheric rock. Still welcome in here, I'd hope.

A new GosT album, along with a bonus EP, were released yesterday! This is without a doubt his best work yet.

"Supreme (feat. Hayley Stewart)" is probably my favourite track from this release. So damn energetic.