Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
perkristian

John Romero signed my chainsaw!

Hello folks. I was really excited when I learned that John Romero would appear in Oslo. The chance to see him in person was something I just couldn't pass on, maybe even get his autograph - and what wouldn't be more awesome than having my Doom chainsaw signed by the man himself!
The chainsaw that I got on a garage sale many years ago is a McCulloch MAC-120, so it has a slightly different paint scheme than the Eager Beaver 2.0. In shape and size they are identical and all parts are interchangeable, so I replaced the chain brake cover on my saw with an Eager Beaver cover I got on eBay. I actually prefer the more yellow paint scheme on the MAC-120, and this is how I always envisioned the actual Doom chainsaw would look like, until I saw the picture of it on John Romero's blog. The chainsaw isn't particularly big, but still quite heavy - it's built like a tank, so I only brought the chain brake cover to the event.
After the interview/Q&A, John Romero stuck around to meet fans and sign stuff. When it came to my turn I showed him the cover and he instantly lit up and said; "The Eager Beaver!" and started talking about the actual Doom chainsaw. He is such a nice guy; totally down to earth and incredibly friendly - it was a real honor to meet him.

As a hardcore Doom fan, this is as good as it gets :)

Don't worry; I know how to deal with chainsaws. I live on the countryside so I occasionally use chainsaws for real. This saw will of course never be used, only admired, a lot!

Welcome back, and congratulations on getting that autograph!

Now go find some meat! :P

If Gunnar Hansen was still alive...it'd be cool to have had him sign it next to Romero's.

Thanks guys!

Gunnar Hansen passed away all too soon :(
If he were around, the proper chainsaw for him to sign would be a Poulan 245. They're hard to come by though, and are usually quite expensive when they show up on eBay, no matter the condition.

Quick! Someone get Jon St John to sign a size 13 boot!

Awesome chainsaw brother! Now hunt down Bruce Campbell for his!

Ha ha!
I guess I have a thing for chainsaws, but then again; who doesn't? I'm actually in the process of making a replica of the Evil Dead 2/Army of Darkness chainsaw - using a Homelite XL as the base of course.

I just have to say how awesome that is. He probably hasn't signed many Eager Beavers over the years!

Dude, you're a fraggin' genius! I would have never thought to have my chainsaw signed! (If I had one)

Aww man that is too awesome! Such a great idea for a collectible item! I'd love to meet Romero. I'm jealous now. That must have been a great time!

That's pretty damn cool that he remembers that exact model of chainsaw from so many years ago. Excellent job getting his signature!

Thank you very much folks! Bringing the chainsaw was a no-brainer as I don't have much else when it comes to Doom memorabilia, but this chainsaw is sort of like the "holy grail" to me now :)

nxGangrel said:

I would have never thought to have my chainsaw signed! (If I had one)

Since the very same kind of chainsaw was used as a reference for the games chainsaw sprites it kind of makes sense to get one signed.

perkristian said:

This saw will of course never be used, only admired, a lot!

You never know...give it to your children and your children's children. Who knows, maybe one day one of your descendants will become a Space Marine on Mars and it will come in handy;)