Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

As much as I love the MP so far I would like some more SP info. I feel like Id should be pushing both sides of this game in the last month til release. Especially because some people aren't interested in the MP (they should be) and I have forgot about it myself somewhat. Doom has always been SP focused so give us some new gameplay and not just another montage. In retrospect I'm glad they have kept it under wraps but if they're going to sell this thing they gotta market now.

I "should" not be interested in the MP. It was not my initial interest and after playing both the alpha and beta I concluded there is nothing special to be found in Doom 2016's multiplayer for me. In fact I found it extremely disappointing, especially when taking id's history into account when it comes to fps multiplayer.

I really hope the SP is of a completely different standard because that is what I will be buying the game for.

I don't know if we will be getting anything more the coming weeks. Who knows. I would like a SP trailer/promo that shows a little more shooting, less glory kills and less aggressive editing but I don't really expect that.

Give the Mp some more time, unless you already did in which case that sucks if you still don't like it because I think it's extremely fun. Also, consider that there were limited options in both alpha and beta. The full game will have more weapons, maps, skins, etc. Most people who don't like the MP I think have a problem with MP in general, or are obsessed with unreal or quake. If that's the case then I don't know what to tell you. I will say the game should have a mode with weapon pickups. To not at least have the option seems stupid. if that's your reasoning then I get it. Other than that the game is smooth, fast, fun and balanced. SP yeah I don't expect much more but I still want it.

Have they said anything about friendly AI?

It would be nice to have us fight alongside security guards and marines.

The one man army theme is getting old. It's absurd how the player happens to be the only human who could actually kill something, despite being the "recruit", and everyone else is a scared, harmless piece of shit who can't fight(especially Bravo Team, who gets owned by a single fucking Imp).

The only friendly AI in the series so far were the Sentry Bots in Doom 3, but they weren't enough.

ATP2555 said:

God I hope not. It was never id's intention but the feeling of isolation and solitude of the original game contributed greatly to it's atmosphere. I hated the build up to the actual invasion of Doom 3. I hope Doomguy in Doom 4 just wakes up to the action and we can piece together the calamity ourselves as the game progresses.

Badmotorfinger111 said:

Give the Mp some more time, unless you already did in which case that sucks if you still don't like it because I think it's extremely fun. Also, consider that there were limited options in both alpha and beta. The full game will have more weapons, maps, skins, etc. Most people who don't like the MP I think have a problem with MP in general, or are obsessed with unreal or quake. If that's the case then I don't know what to tell you. I will say the game should have a mode with weapon pickups. To not at least have the option seems stupid. if that's your reasoning then I get it. Other than that the game is smooth, fast, fun and balanced. SP yeah I don't expect much more but I still want it.

the most general problem seem to have with the multiplayer is that it doesn't even decide what it's trying to be

it pussyfoots around the whole dumbfounded 'it's old but at the same time its its own different thing' what with the loadout system, the slow, static nature of the game, the taunts, the weak guns, the same tired overtly techie but terribly forgettable armor design/HUD featured in games like destiny and titanfall, that the emphasis on 'pick up health so you don't die' just falls so flat in comparison to all these features that it just feels as if the devs bothered implementing a health system in a desperate attempt at making the game feel old school

i guess it should go without saying that most people are actually looking forward to the campaign itself rather than multiplayer and I can't say i disagree with that motion

ATP2555 said:

Have they said anything about friendly AI?

I agree. As long as its properly done, not the "Cover me while i open the door". Something more along the lines of Brutal Doom marines, with minimal interaction and no lame plot armor. And it would be nice too some allied NPCs for Snapmap.

I hope the only other human being i will met on my playthrough is the suicide guy with the SSG besides his corpse. So far my biggest concern about the campaign was that they add some bullshit sidequests like ..

- Head down into the sewers of mars and find my diary with the codes and bring it back to me!
- I am ultra genius and invented a time machine but i am unable to pull a lever, you must do this for me!!
- Head back to the lab you came by half an hour ago and bring me my batterys so that we can fight the forces of hell!!!

Or another worst case scenario. They add a "stealth" part where - miraculously - all imps are searching their desks, barons watching out of the windows, cacos doing a nap, cyberdemons watching their vinylplayers for 20 mins etc.

But now as you mention it, fighting with a bunch af stupid marines, blocking my way and screaming "WHUUYYAAAAA" all the time is another great way to spoil the game. All i want is a plain and simple, straight forward FPs experience without all the clichée shit they force into the games nowadys.

They could have it where you occasionally come across security guards(like in Half-Life) and Marines. The Marines in Quake IV were pretty good. They made perfect use of cover and tactics. Some were medics and technicians, who could replenish your health and armor, respectively.

I'm not expecting things like allies nagging you or having stormtrooper accuracy. Speaking of the former, don't even get me started on Sergeant Kelly. "Pick up the pace!", "Bravo Team needs your help!", "Get your ass to that communications tower!"

it is odd to push multiplayer so hard in a single player franchise. wasting valuable dev time on a distraction if you ask me.

besides, mp is such a crowded space, sp is where doom has a chance to differentiate itself.

Everything that had to be shown about SP was shown: go around and shot everything that moves. I don't think they need to show more of the single player, that GCI trailer is possible the last single player related stuff we get until launch.

MrDope said:

Got new info about the campaign, send me a PM if you wanna know (I'm not going to share anything here because of reasons).

Can I just ask if it's cool without spoilers and trouble?? Just looking for a yes or no. It might make me feel better :)

MrDeAD1313 said:

Can I just ask if it's cool without spoilers and trouble?? Just looking for a yes or no. It might make me feel better :)

MetroidJunkie said:

Is it good news for fans of Classic Doom?

I have mixed feelings actually, so far I'm liking the new elements and some characters but I'm a bit skeptical about a particular plot-twist regarding to the DoomGuy's origin.

MrDope said:

I have mixed feelings actually, so far I'm liking the new elements and some characters but I'm a bit skeptical about a particular plot-twist regarding to the DoomGuy's origin.

I really like it, its a pretty interesting twist that actually makes sense (which I cannot explain here, of course)

watstha said:

I really like it, its a pretty interesting twist that actually makes sense (which I cannot explain here, of course)

It's kind of weird but I can live with it, but the thing that's actually worring me it's how they are going to explain all of this (cinematic moments from the marine's perspective? Audiologs ala Doom 3? Pre-rendered cutscenes? Witcher-like motion comics?).

MrDope said:

It's kind of weird but I can live with it, but the thing that's actually worring me it's how they are going to explain all of this (cinematic moments from the marine's perspective? Audiologs ala Doom 3? Pre-rendered cutscenes? Witcher-like motion comics?).

I think its been confirmed that any story-related stuff will be told through audio, and video recordings, and that they are completely optional and no that important to the general point of the game (kill demons).

They also confirmed that many of this could be found if you explored the levels beyond your main objective.

MrDope said:

im pretty convinced trying to hard to explain anything in this game can only be bad. i liked the way that little details were available in d3 to kind of flesh out the world, but none of it was really central to the plot, so it worked. hoping for the best.

MrDope said:

Got new info about the campaign, send me a PM if you wanna know (I'm not going to share anything here because of reasons).

mind sendin' those over, dude? the more I know the better.

rampancy said:

it is odd to push multiplayer so hard in a single player franchise. wasting valuable dev time on a distraction if you ask me.

The SP and MP were developed by different studios so this statement doesn't make sense

MrDope said:

I love the part where the Icon of Sin reveals itself as Doom Guy's Father.

Obviously, I'm just messing around but still. Those audio files are... interesting to say the least.

Doomkid said:

The SP and MP were developed by different studios so this statement doesn't make sense

time and money being spent on mp that couldve been spent on sp... makes sense to me.

rampancy said:

time and money being spent on mp that couldve been spent on sp... makes sense to me.

spending money on what precisely? the game is done and relatively polished already. not like they'd need a couple hundred dollars to finish the last boss or anything.

maybe look on multiplayer in new DOOM like on "necessary evil" - id software needs it to make YET ANOTHER doom for you (read: they need those damn money, they're not volunteers, today everyone has an internet and making shoter nowadays without mp is like milking your cow only by one hand.)

ATP2555 said:

Good god no. Not in a game like this.

chubz said:

Good god no. Not in a game like this.

Just no.... it doesn't fit Doom. Maybe Doom II? But even that'd just be one marine.

If anything, I'd rather see dying marines mutter and look like they've gone crazy (see crazy marine from Halo: CE) that will hand you a gun and give it to you, and they are slowly dying and then when you walk away you hear a pistol shot, and then you see they are dead.

That'd be a bit more grim, and more in-line with the hopelessness of Doom IMHO.

Thanks to MrDope for providing the story info...I just got even more hyped and the backdrop for Doomguy and why he is such a bad ass is set. Can't wait! Will play campaign multiple times. I played doom1 and 2 multiple times...this shall be no different :)

No no no! No friendly AI that would mean the player being given stupid fetch or pull lever quests, the AI will die in a silly predictable scripted sequence! It's dull!

The only thing I would find exceptable and the way I would start Doom is you enter the complex with a few buddies, they hand you the pistol and as you are the new recruit are told to guard the door, they run in with all the decent weapons, the door closes. You hear them scream and die in horrible ways. ....now it's up to you with only your pistol. Kill kill kill