Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kaskaum

How much could id milk?

In the case the game surpasses the expectations of id/Behesda when it comes to sales. How much could id milk the franchise?

I personally can see this new Doom series getting more 2 games at most. Doom doesn't have a very big universe in order to explore. And it could be difficult the milk act. So I predict 3 games if they are lucky and again the franchise will end in the shelf for over a decade.

The lack of a strong alternative franchise for id is a problem. Quake, the original Quake plot is a Doom ripoff, so if they intend to revitalize it they would use the strogg again. And I don't see a sci-fi FPS featurng aliens going anywhere because this especific kind of FPS requires a strong story in order to attract players, gameplay only is not enough nowadays. Halo is only big because the strong story the first 3 games have plus the gameplay which basically defined the pattern for a console FPS.

Ok, my predictions:

After id releases Doom '16, they will likely make a remake of Doom 2 (as a sequel to Doom '16), because why not. id never remade Doom 2 which is not ok.

Then they will likely move on to Quake. Here they have 2 options: either do the strogg Quake remake, or remake Quake 1. I prefer the latter, since I think we really need a fast-paced cthulhu-killing Lovecraftian shooter.

After that I hope they make a bunch of sequels to Rage, because that game was great, and do some BFG-edition-like rereleases to all their games and I also just realised that I'm talking some bullshit so I'd better stop

I don't see anybody there with the courage to burn money on a sequel of a bomb of a game like Rage.

ChekaAgent said:

Then they will likely move on to Quake. Here they have 2 options: either do the strogg Quake remake, or remake Quake 1. I prefer the latter, since I think we really need a fast-paced cthulhu-killing Lovecraftian shooter.

I would be so down for this, no joke.

Quake is pretty synonymous with multiplayer now, but that original game's campaign is actually real fun.

If this game only takes place in Mars, I can imagine a sequel taking place in Phobos and Deimos and maybe even more taking place on different locations of Earth.

The next game iD makes after DOOM will be very interesting. Obviously there's four possible outcomes:

1) DOOM II

2) QUAKE

3) New IP

4) iD closes down

Things to note:

-If there was going to be a sequel to Rage, it would have needed to be done a couple years ago. It was decently successful, but not successful enough to revitalize 8 or 9 years down the road.

-If DOOM is successful, then I think we'll get either DOOM II or QUAKE. Bethesda might want to either ride the DOOM train or they might think, "Hmmm, if a Doom reboot worked, then let's do Quake now!".

-If DOOM bombs, then Bethesda will either disband iD (and perhaps have iD solely work on iD Tech) or they'll have iD make a completely different type of IP. No more badass, minimalistic FPS games. But instead something more trendy. An RPG probably.

-The wild card here is if Quake or Doom are handed off to a different developer so that iD can work on one game while someone like MachineGames handles the other game. Perhaps MachineGames is done with Wolfenstein and now works on the Quake reboot...

Neither id nor Bethesda are 'milking' their franchises, considering how many years pass between the entries. Both Dishonored and TNO were very successful yet 4 years later Dishonored II, while announced, is not yet released and neither is any new game from Machinegames.

If you're asking about the future of the company, I personally only care about either a proper Hell on Earth DOOM game or RAGE 2. At this point even a Lovecraftian Quake is not really that tempting when I take out the nostalgia factor. Strogg Quake would get zero attention from me. Wolfenstein will most likely stay with MG and after TNO I don't care about it.

Also, unless they plan on doing DOOM 2 5 next, you can bet the next DOOM game will be another Mars base origin story reboot. So they better do Hell on Earth next.

Touchdown said:

Neither id nor Bethesda are 'milking' their franchises

Aha... Doom 3: BFG Edition was nothing but a cash grab.

Kaskaum said:

FPS-TPS + RPG combo is very trendy now. Destiny and The Division sold like hot potato.

Both were very..hoq do i say it...."meh"...

I remember back when ID was planning to stop making Doom and Quake sequels after releasing Doom 3, that happened back in 2001 if i remember correct in a TV Show, It was john Carmack who said they won't be making sequels for these anymore , things went wrong with their plans i guess .

They could kill the french-eyes .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

I remember back when ID was planning to stop making Doom and Quake sequels after releasing Doom 3, that happened back in 2001 if i remember correct in a TV Show, It was john Carmack who said they won't be making sequels for these anymore , things went wrong with their plans i guess .

They could kill the french-eyes .

That was before Zenimax bought them. I cannot find the true source right now, but I remember reading an interview with Carmack where he stated his frustration with the Zenimax sale, and that he regretted selling id, because now others tell them what to do. It might have been an interview in regard to his departure from id towards Oculus.

It will be interesting to see if id "remains" the id we know (which doesn't milk franchises to death) or becomes just another studio controlled by a larger corporation which want's to see money, and lots of it.

Kaskaum said:

The lack of a strong alternative franchise for id is a problem. Quake, the original Quake plot is a Doom ripoff, so if they intend to revitalize it they would use the strogg again.

Aw Hell no, the Quake 2 Strogg universe is too similar to Doom and Raven already had a chance to revisit that universe (they buggered up in my opinion - only made me realize how flawed that universe is).

While I'm not a fan of Quake 1, I'd rather they go the Lovecraftian route (because it could be made into something distinct and memorable), but I'm strongly hoping they go with a different plot and let you play a different type of character, because I'm really losing interest in Id games that aren't Doom yet insist on leaning heavily on Doom-style weaponry (giving the impression that they have zero confidence in any other IP unless it's "Doom in disguise") and environments.

I'm hoping for a Doom 2: Hell on Earth type reboot as a sequel to the new Doom afterwards, but I'm not completely against them revisiting Quake 1 as long as they do something to very clearly distinguish it from Doom - maybe lean a little more towards a dark fantasy element to complement the whole Lovecraft feel.

Have the "rocket launcher" shoot explosive fireballs that set shit on fire instead of regular ol' rockets or something.

ChekaAgent said:

Aha... Doom 3: BFG Edition was nothing but a cash grab.

It looked like a failed attempt to bring back the life to Multiplayer, they completely changed that system and added a new gametype .

Touchdown said:

Neither id nor Bethesda are 'milking' their franchises, considering how many years pass between the entries.

This. Some people really don't have their shit together.

dsm said:

Aw Hell no, the Quake 2 Strogg universe is too similar to Doom and Raven already had a chance to revisit that universe (they buggered up in my opinion - only made me realize how flawed that universe is).

While I'm not a fan of Quake 1, I'd rather they go the Lovecraftian route (because it could be made into something distinct and memorable), but I'm strongly hoping they go with a different plot and let you play a different type of character, because I'm really losing interest in Id games that aren't Doom yet insist on leaning heavily on Doom-style weaponry (giving the impression that they have zero confidence in any other IP unless it's "Doom in disguise") and environments.

I'm hoping for a Doom 2: Hell on Earth type reboot as a sequel to the new Doom afterwards, but I'm not completely against them revisiting Quake 1 as long as they do something to very clearly distinguish it from Doom - maybe lean a little more towards a dark fantasy element to complement the whole Lovecraft feel.

Have the "rocket launcher" shoot explosive fireballs that set shit on fire instead of regular ol' rockets or something.

This is going to sound harsh but as much as I love both Quake games (especially Quake 1) They are not distinct enough to warrant sequels. All their aesthetic ideas can be implemented in Old Blood style DLCs for Doom with new weapons based on the stock ones but with new models, sounds, and some gameplay changes as well. For me there would ideally be lenghty Old Blood style DLCs based on Quake 1, 2 and Heretic. Each new Id game should be distinct from each other in the same way Doom is going to be distinct from The Old Blood and as it stands I don't think these games have enough ideas to make them different from Doom. Hell, Quake 1 could even be in the same universe as Doom.

If id does make a sequel to this game, should it be called Doom II*? It wouldn't surprise me it they did.

If they're going to do a Doom 4 for real (very unlikely though, since they already did this before they shelved it), they should pull-off a Mega Man 9 and go old-school.

*(or Doom 5? :P) (Sorry I edited it out... :( I thought it sounded stupid.)

good point, but Doom 3 wasn't even called Doom III (although it originally was)

DooM_RO said:

This is going to sound harsh but as much as I love both Quake games (especially Quake 1) They are not distinct enough to warrant sequels.

That's definitely a concern now that iD seems to be incorporating Quake elements into the new DOOM.

With that said, I think a theoretical QUAKE reboot could set itself apart from DOOM and Wolfenstein by really embracing the Lovecraftian style of the first game. Take it in a very dark and gothic direction. Focus more on providing an atmospheric experience. Almost like an FPS Souls game.

And of course, if you're going to make a Quake game, then the multiplayer needs to live up to the name. It can be even more old-school than DOOM to set itself apart, with some new elements added that don't detract from the experience.

The problem with quake is once you remove the movement system it is no longer Quake, I don't think that style of movement works well at all on console controllers. A new Quake is not a smart choice because it would be a PC only game. I mean, it might sell well if Doom does great...

I think it'd be pretty cool to take the original Quake in a direction like the new Doom is going. I mean, it doesn't look like classic Doom like some people have told me(???) but it is a massive improvement over the third game and actually interesting enough so far imo.

It would be cool to see iD retain the fast movement and such yeah, long overdue for a modern game with movement that quick and freeflowing.

I would like to see ID make something that isn't sci-fi, that would be something fresh and interesting to see.

Xerge said:

I would like to see ID make something that isn't sci-fi, that would be something fresh and interesting to see.

Heretic sequel. Please.

That depends on which audience they're catering to.

dsm said:

You mean thermobaric rockets?

DooM_RO said:

Heretic sequel. Please.

id didn't make Heretic... Raven did. id published the game.

HavoX said:

id didn't make Heretic... Raven did. id published the game.

if only raven wasn't part of activision, then we'd have more heretic and soldier of fortune.

but alas, they're doomed to making COD sequels.