Find results in...
jazzmaster9

Innocence X - v1.2 Now on Idgames

Jazzmaster9 Presents:

A 9 Level Wad for DooM II.

Idgames: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/g-i/inncnx
Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hv1sta6c40qnakv/inncnx-1.2.zip

Best played with GZDoom.

Your feedback, suggestions and bug reports are highly appreciated and will help this become a better project.

Here are some screenshots!

Thank you

One look at those screenshots and I'm suddenly reminded of Doom 64. Well played!

This looks amazing. Hopefully I can give it a try this weekend, preferably with head-phones, at night, when the house is quiet. :)

Looks really cool :) I really like your style, by the looks of these!

Minor update:
- Fixed some lighting on map 06
- Fixed some texturing on map 06
- Added reverb effects to some areas

Yay, more Innocence! Playing through this now, GZDoom/UV/continuous/keyboard-only. Good stuff; love the Doom64 look. Just a couple notes:

• MAP03's music doesn't loop cleanly.
  • MAP08's red key door is marked with blue key textures.
Also, playing continuous, I started MAP08 with around 10% health, and it was very slow and precarious going (read: I died a lot), especially when the hitscanners showed up. Health was very much at a premium the entire level. Maybe making a little health available at/near the start would be nice? Totally up to you, of course.

So, you know how WADs often get the complaint that they're not balanced for pistol-start? This WAD is the opposite: not balanced for continuous. I've started the last 3 levels at single-digit health, and there's barely enough in each map to get me back up to 50% or so at a time. (Aside: did you make the monster attacks stronger? So many times it seems I'm sitting at 40% or 50%, and a single hit kills me.) I know I already mentioned MAP08, but then MAP04 wasn't much better. I then made it to MAP05 with a meager 7% and, uh...I can't even make it down the initial hallway without being immediately killed by the seemingly-unavoidable dart-turrets...

Salt-Man Z said:

Yay, more Innocence! Playing through this now, GZDoom/UV/continuous/keyboard-only. Good stuff; love the Doom64 look. Just a couple notes:

• MAP03's music doesn't loop cleanly.
  • MAP08's red key door is marked with blue key textures.
Also, playing continuous, I started MAP08 with around 10% health, and it was very slow and precarious going (read: I died a lot), especially when the hitscanners showed up. Health was very much at a premium the entire level. Maybe making a little health available at/near the start would be nice? Totally up to you, of course.

Thank you for pointing them out, they will be fixed in the next version.

Salt-Man Z said:

So, you know how WADs often get the complaint that they're not balanced for pistol-start? This WAD is the opposite: not balanced for continuous. I've started the last 3 levels at single-digit health, and there's barely enough in each map to get me back up to 50% or so at a time. (Aside: did you make the monster attacks stronger? So many times it seems I'm sitting at 40% or 50%, and a single hit kills me.) I know I already mentioned MAP08, but then MAP04 wasn't much better. I then made it to MAP05 with a meager 7% and, uh...

Thank you for pointing this out. I'll be sure to add health packs in the exit area or maybe in the beginning of maps.

I did not modify the monster's damage output, they are the same as regular DooM.
thank you for the feed back.

EDIT:

Salt-Man Z said:

I can't even make it down the initial hallway without being immediately killed by the seemingly-unavoidable dart-turrets...

There is a pattern to get through that. notice the markers in the ground.

Beta v.2 has been uploaded.

- added more health near the beginning and end of levels
- Retexturing in some areas
- fixed the D_MAP03 track, apparently it cuts of at 3:11.

Honestly i don't think it's a health problem as much jazz, you really don't like giving away any armor. I went through innocence kind of recently on stream and 100 health at all times just makes everything so dangerous.

Yeah, I'd hope you won't change things too much just to mollify me. :) Merely a small bone thrown to continuous players who enter a level hurting is all I'd ask.

Dime said:

Honestly i don't think it's a health problem as much jazz, you really don't like giving away any armor. I went through innocence kind of recently on stream and 100 health at all times just makes everything so dangerous.

Salt-Man Z said:

Yeah, I'd hope you won't change things too much just to mollify me. :) Merely a small bone thrown to continuous players who enter a level hurting is all I'd ask.

I'll take both Armor and Health to account, I'll try to play around with those a bit more and try to balance it out some more.
Thank you guys for the suggestions.

EDIT: Looking at the editor, I was a bit stingy with the armor. I'll add a bit more Armor.

Beta v.3 has been uploaded.

- Did some rebalancing on Health and Armor pickups for all the maps.
- More Retexturing in some areas
- Fixed some miss tagged/valued lines (elevator speed, etc)

Beta v.4 has been uploaded
- More retexturing
- repositioned Health packs in map 06
- added a new secret to map 06
- changed some decorate code for baron of hell so it does not play the fireball sound twice at the same time.

Jazzmaster9, huge thanks for your work! I have never played Doom 64 before, so these levels with creepy atmosphere, weird sounds and sinister music - it was really something absolutely new for me. I didn't know Doom can be THAT frightening. :)

I liked all the levels and had no problems during my playthrough. I think Map 04 is my favorite. Probably because it's so off-world and mysterious. If only there were more levels in this wad...

droopy said:

Jazzmaster9, huge thanks for your work! I have never played Doom 64 before, so these levels with creepy atmosphere, weird sounds and sinister music - it was really something absolutely new for me. I didn't know Doom can be THAT frightening. :)

I liked all the levels and had no problems during my playthrough. I think Map 04 is my favorite. Probably because it's so off-world and mysterious. If only there were more levels in this wad...

Thank you :) Im glad that you liked the mapset.
Its good to know that I was able to give players that Creppy Doom 64 feel.

Yeah, the atmosphere is fantastic. I should say I finished playing it a couple nights ago; I pistol-started MAP05 (on account of the new beta version) and whew! that last stretch of maps is basically Murder City. Is this one significantly tougher than previous episodes, or is it just because I played those on HMP and this one on UV? (I plan on replaying the whole series on UV sometime this year, so I guess I'll see for myself. :) I ended up finding two secret levels (8 and 9) and got one demon key; any more that I missed? That boss though. Wish I hadn't spent my BFG on the cybers. Those super-fast homing missiles are such a pain: slow down for even a second and you're nailed. I think I gave it about a dozen (or two) tries before giving up and IDDQDing it. Not to say you should change anything; probably a better player than I could beat her. Alas.

Of the last half, I particularly enjoyed the, uh, "which order?" map (forget the #) though I felt like that final puzzle should have had some sort of (probably non-lethal) penalty for getting it wrong. Maybe a little more action in the walk past the triple gate leading to the exit as well. No other bugs/oddities that I recall, though.

Overall, another very cool set of maps, thanks!

Salt-Man Z said:

I pistol-started MAP05 (on account of the new beta version) and whew! that last stretch of maps is basically Murder City. Is this one significantly tougher than previous episodes, or is it just because I played those on HMP and this one on UV? (I plan on replaying the whole series on UV sometime this year, so I guess I'll see for myself. :)

in Innocence 1-3 and TNT UV is a bit harder than HMP but The previous Innocence episodes in general are by far easier than Innocence X.

Salt-Man Z said:

I ended up finding two secret levels (8 and 9) and got one demon key; any more that I missed?

There is a warp only secret level; map 10, you dont get any special goodies in that though

Salt-Man Z said:

Of the last half, I particularly enjoyed the, uh, "which order?" map (forget the #) though I felt like that final puzzle should have had some sort of (probably non-lethal) penalty for getting it wrong. Maybe a little more action in the walk past the triple gate leading to the exit as well. No other bugs/oddities that I recall, though.

Overall, another very cool set of maps, thanks!

Thank you for playing the mapset.

Minor update:
mostly on map 3
- Changed some light colors
- re aligned some textures
- Changed some light values

beta v.5 has been uploaded.
This will be the final beta version, all updates after this will be minor/aesthetics updates.

Just completed it on ultra-violence...

Fantastic, utterly fantastic, lots of challenge and a really strong Doom64 feel all the way to the end (And the boss battle was no where near as annoying as it was in actual Doom64.)

Keep mapping I want more :P

Am playing it right now and I am on map03, I really like this so far, great work, great atmosphere and that special Doom64 feeling, love it :) I'm going to play this through tonight. Are you going to do more maps?

Idgames link added.

Tompig said:

Just completed it on ultra-violence...

Fantastic, utterly fantastic, lots of challenge and a really strong Doom64 feel all the way to the end (And the boss battle was no where near as annoying as it was in actual Doom64.)

Keep mapping I want more :P

Thank you for playing. I'm glad you liked the mod :)

rodster said:

Am playing it right now and I am on map03, I really like this so far, great work, great atmosphere and that special Doom64 feeling, love it :) I'm going to play this through tonight. Are you going to do more maps?

Yes there will be an Innocence X 2 on the way.

Definitely adding this to my to-play list.

jazzmaster9 said:

Yes there will be an Innocence X 2 on the way.

Aw, so soon? There's no need for you to rush... ;)

Thanks Mental and EffinghamHuffnagel For finding the glitches.
I have uploaded the update to idgames and now waiting approval.
mediafire update coming up today.

EDIT: mediafire link has been updated.

The idgames link has been updated.
Hopefully all of the glitches have finally been resolved and I can work on Innocence X 2 :)

Uploaded v1.2
- Changed the Final Boss' Behavior and made it less aggressive.
- Added a 'kinda' secret to Map 06.
- Aesthetic changes (mostly some fixes on misaligned textures).

You can get it now on the alternate Mirror.
Idgames mirror is awaiting approval.