Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
roadworx

what's the worst WAD you've ever played?

Gusta said:

Pity, that you haven't been around some 7 years ago when we were building this crappy wad. Your advices would have been pretty helpful, I suppose.

It's just my opinion. This is an opinion thread. I mean no offense. I may have been overly harsh, but that's just how I am when I don't like something. Like you don't want to know my opinions on Half-Life 2 I will rip that game a new asshole.

Tactical Stiffy said:

Plutonia 2 featured too many maps that were open ended boring outdoor levels (MAP03, MAP05, MAP09, MAP16, MAP17) that start you completely surrounded by low to mid tier enemies (which can be complete BS on continuous play, with low health).

You what? I can agree if you said pistol start, but how the hell can it be more BS on continuous play with your full arsenal and extra health/armour from the previous level. And why are you exiting levels with low HP? I can't wrap my mind around that part.

Tactical Stiffy said:

1. Doesn't live up to (or feel like) Plutonia

I disagree but alright.

Tactical Stiffy said:

2. Overly complex level design

I don't know which wads you've been playing but something like AV is way more complex and time consuming.

Tactical Stiffy said:

3. Boring 3 key treasure hunts

This is standard for nearly every megawad as well as the IWADs.

Tactical Stiffy said:

4. Lame music choices on a lot of maps

Didn't like the jungle music I presume?

Tactical Stiffy said:

6. MAP11 (Why? Read the 5 points above this one has all)

That one's definitely an acquired taste, but so was the original Hunted.

Tactical Stiffy said:

7. MAP29 (MAP29 of Plutonia 1 is miles better sorry)

Agreed.

Tactical Stiffy said:

8. MAP30 Yes someone said that all Icon maps suck and they do but. This one takes way too long to beat and is too hard without save-scumming, which makes it worse than the rest.

Now "too long to beat" is a straight up troll statement. The UV-Max is barely over a minute long so for the average Joe it would take maybe 3 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhMvHCgfdHY
You literally have to BFG spam 3 Cybers, flip a switch behind each and then climb the stairs to pump a few rockets into one of the eyes. And I don't see how it's "too hard" compared to every other popular post-2000 WAD. Scythe 1/2, Speed of Doom, Resurgence and Valiant all have a significantly harder map 30, to name just a few.

Seeing how people consider some wads the worst cause they consider them unfair, I am surprised nobody has mentioned Italo-doom.

Ancalagon said:

Seeing how people consider some wads the worst cause they consider them unfair, I am surprised nobody has mentioned Italo-doom.

Probably because it has very niche appeal and thus low popularity. I don't like gangbang map starts so I passed on it.

I don't think Plutonia 2 really belongs in this thread.

Anyway, my vote goes to Unloved, I have no clue why people like it since it had everything that could go wrong with zdoom wads at the time, total rapefest of resources from other games, to the point where the art direction felt non existent and unfocused, only just held together with chewing in the form of low brightness... where you see D'sparil's symbols and pentagrams sometimes even in the same room. I didn't like the gameplay either, since totally uninspired boring tedious flat slogfest gameplay with ripped mobs placed with no thought and not according to their strengths, is still just a totally uninspired flat slogfest gameplay.

Since not everyone has time or skill to create new resources for Doom mods, borrowing shit from everywhere is nothing new. At some point you just accept that things you see should be taken out of context, so to speak. This isn't a Heretic symbol, that isn't a Duke Nukem 3D monster, etc.

Although I have to admit that I didn't like some of the monsters used in Unloved because I didn't think they fit very well.

I will have to disagree with both "Demon of the Well" and "Tactical Stiffy"; Legacy of Suffering was perhaps very corridor-heavy, but it still had a lot of ideas and effort put into it, and Plutonia 2 looked a lot like Plutonia, although not exactly because we are afterall talking about different authors at different levels --- besides that, I think a "worst wad topic" is a little out of line in public here on Doomworld -- if it's a chat between friends then fine, but in public I think it's very rude.

gemini09 said:

besides that, I think a "worst wad topic" is a little out of line in public here on Doomworld -- if it's a chat between friends then fine, but in public I think it's very rude.

Well, as the great Julian would say, "One has the right to have his own opinion."

HavoX said:

Well, as the great Julian would say, "One has the right to have his own opinion."

Sure, but if my opinion is towards a girl out on town and that I would absolutely love to prowl her --- would that be appropriate or well-mannered?

Ancalagon said:

I think chillax takes the cake in this regard. I still loathe it.

Imback55 said:

Can I talk about 1x1box.wad being an example or is that wad disqualified?

Lack of any gameplay is nowhere near as mentally insulting as carefully crafted miserable gameplay. Also, you're still self-absorbed tit as always.

I played 5rooms of doom recently and found most of the maps to be unplayable crap. I hate to be so rude but it wasn't a very brilliant idea for a project to begin with and many of the maps just seem incomplete or disfunctional in a lot of ways.

I can't think of any "worst I've played" because even something like "1 monster" must have been a good learning experience for those involved --- I never played it, mind you..

Pedro VC said:

Tribute - how the fuck this got a cacoward?

What was so crummy about it? I played it and had a good bit of fun.

1 hour ago, RoySmasher1995 said:

I feel that my maps are terrible as I am a novice right now, but I'm not the only one.

apparently your posting is much worse than your maps. please do not bump up threads who have last been posted over two years ago. and if you're a novice; don't go self-denigrating your own maps. instead, focus on how to be better and seek constructive criticism.

The worst WAD I've ever played is more than likely BF_Thud! In fact I'm genuinely surprised that it hasn't been mentioned at all in this thread. Useless powerups, tedious pointless tasks, and in general absolutely nothing of interest whatsoever. I played up to MAP08 of that thing and they were all complete garbage. MAP07/MAP08 especially, I can't fathom why anyone would not quit playing this turd upon reaching that point.

On 4/14/2018 at 1:31 PM, RoySmasher1995 said:

I feel that my maps are terrible as I am a novice right now, but I'm not the only one.

You may think that your mapping skills are subpar and your maps are terrible, but:

1. Depending on what your standards are, you may be rather good and are just expecting too much of yourself when you're just starting out.
  2. You should work to improve your skills rather than trying to be endearing by self-deprecation
  3. You'd be amazed at the low quality of some of what has been released throughout the 24 years that people have been mapping for Doom. You might even find that, by comparison, your maps are not that bad.

Also, these "worst wad ever" threads seem to come up periodically. A brief search would've revealed the following thread, which was lasted posted on about 4 months old, but that's better than posting to a thread that was last posted on almost 2 years ago. So, if you feel you HAVE to post about the worst level you've ever played, you can go there instead of here (or one of the even older threads).

I forgot the name but I think one I played was "DOOR.WAD" or something like that.

It had a pit with a cyber demon inside the pit and all the walls of the pit were untextured, causing a HOM effect. If anyone has a vid to the one I'm on about I'd appreciate it.

Although i have been mapping almost every week for the past three years i still gotta say that my maps are pretty bad. That's why i haven't really released anything during my time here.

I was playing Doom 2's "The Chasm" earlier today and I find just about all of it repugnant. There's inescapable pits, copious amounts of acid, rail-thin catwalks with conveniently placed lost souls to knock you down, too much brown...all sorts of sins being committed in that one little lovely map.

2 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

I forgot the name but I think one I played was "DOOR.WAD" or something like that.

It had a pit with a cyber demon inside the pit and all the walls of the pit were untextured, causing a HOM effect. If anyone has a vid to the one I'm on about I'd appreciate it.

That sounds like WOW.WAD by Paul Thrussel (see also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrEGbjBp0Xs).

Some might say it isn't bad so much as misunderstood. Some people might just say it's bad.

2 hours ago, MrD!zone said:

Although i have been mapping almost every week for the past three years i still gotta say that my maps are pretty bad. That's why i haven't really released anything during my time here.

I would suggest that you submit something to the forums here. If you've spent the last three years mapping and still feel that your work is unsatisfactory, it would probably benefit you from getting some insight from other people. I suspect that either you are extremely hard on yourself (in which case, the feedback will reflect that your maps are not as bad as you thought) or you are missing something (in which case, the feedback will point out the ways you could improve). Either way, you stand to learn something.

So, I highly recommend that you submit some of your work and let others (who aren't close to it) see it and comment on it. Hopefully, you would find their insights helpful.