Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fonze

Probably stupid question about TNT31fix

I seem remember this patch placing the key in the nearby secret between the two health bonuses back in the Doom 95 days, but when going for a screenie of this fix I noticed the key is in its original location (just with the multiplayer flag fixed). Is my memory off here?

fraggle said:

Why is that patch on mediafire.com and not the idgames archive?

Possibly just due to their provenance.

It just bugs me seeing all this stuff posted on filesharing websites and nowhere else. I keep finding interesting things posted a few years ago which have vanished because the authors didn't properly archive them. idgames will still be around in 10 years but I doubt mediafire.com will.

fraggle said:

It just bugs me seeing all this stuff posted on filesharing websites and nowhere else. I keep finding interesting things posted a few years ago which have vanished because the authors didn't properly archive them. idgames will still be around in 10 years but I doubt mediafire.com will.

I appreciate how you feel. I have begun trying to upload important historic stuff a bit to /idgames, and it's become clearer to me just how much is missing. Some things (doom64 tc, aliens tc etc) will have been missing historically because of legal problems, but that's less of a concern these days, whereas the cultural argument only gains weight with time.

So yeah, I would agree, I would love to see people upload more things to /idgames by default. What stops them? Is it a technical barrier? Would a web submission form help? What would the gamers maintainers feel about that?

LogicDeLuxe said:

Since the multiplayer flag was the bug, fixing just that is exactly the point.
Instead of the pwad from TeamTNT, you probably want to patch the game to the anthology version, which fixes some other bugs as well: http://www.mediafire.com/file/wqwhmjynwzn/idanthup.zip

Well you're prolly right, but I'm used to just loading up the patch every time I play TNT anyway so it's no big deal to me to upgrade to the anthology version, as I don't remember the other bugs being all that important (never encountered the teleport bug and don't remember the others).

But this still doesn't answer my question, why do I specifically remember the yellow key appearing in the nearby secret, rather than its original location?

Jon said:

Possibly just due to their provenance.

But since that patch is part of the ID Anthology, isn't it technically not freeware?

Master O said:

But since that patch is part of the ID Anthology, isn't it technically not freeware?

I don't think the patch was included in ID Anthology, the patched Final Doom was included. tnt31fix was distributed separately as freeware by teamtnt. The engine changes were never released as source (afaik) and have been retroactively reimplemented into ports.

Master O said:

The patch wasn't even done by id.

fraggle said:

It's not just old things. It bugs me just as much that the ZDoom modding community seems to have established a boycott of /idgames and letting their output rot on some shitty filehosts with most stuff disappearing without notice if the creator loses interest.

And the main reason for that: "/idgames is supposed to host finished projects but these are constant works in progress."

I believe something needs to change here so all that stuff can be hosted there without making the creators jump through hoops.

What happened to that drdteam host or whatever it was called? I thought that's what they are using now.

That doesn't exist anymore. No, people use Mediafire or Dropbox these days, so it's almost guaranteed that in 2 years of so most of it will be lost.

kuchitsu said:

What happened to that drdteam host or whatever it was called? I thought that's what they are using now.

Graf Zahl said:

That doesn't exist anymore. No, people use Mediafire or Dropbox these days, so it's almost guaranteed that in 2 years of so most of it will be lost.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23521

Eruanna @ ZDooM forum said:

NOTE FROM MODERATORS: DRDTeam File Sharing has been dead since May of 2013 and there are currently no plans to bring it back. Sorry for the inconvenience.

It was dead about nears 3 years ago.

The ZDooM modding community lost lot of things due the shutdown of DRDTeam files hosting, and even now, I still not see many of things on there being in /idgames with every possible reasons, and we'll still lose some of them for sure. *sigh* :(

(At least some of "Big things" still exists if the author or someone still try to maintains.)