Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RealDarko

Brutal Doom style mod?

I have been enjoying Brutal Doom this last weeks, loved the modern feeling with WASD control and the free move for aiming with the mouse, the hability to kill the enemies withhead shots is also fun, but I'm now aproaching the final missions (I'm already searching for the portal in downtown Los Angeles) and I think I need more of it, I will like to know If is something with similar caractheristics to Brutal Doom, a mod that contains:

- WASD movement with Brutal Doom style glorious freedom of movement for the mouse. I enjoyed the modern FPS feeling that Brutal Doom gives to the old game.

- Enemies that can be killed more easily If hit on the head. Is there something that adds the gore level of Brutal Doom?

I don't care If is alien based, demon based or wathever. And that's it! Hope is there something similar out there.

Thanks a lot!

If you change things inside the PK3, I don't think they take effect until you start a new game.

Glaice said:

If you change things inside the PK3, I don't think they take effect until you start a new game.

MMMH sorry?

Mouselook wasn't new to Brutal Doom. ZDoom and JDoom added that 16 or 17 years ago. Zandronum has it, as does GZDoom. And please, give credit to Graf Zahl, I know TotalBiscuit didn't in his review of Brutal Doom, but he deserves credit.

As Jello said, Brutal Doom didn't introduce the WASD, Freelook, Jumping etc, it's the good people of the sourceports you're using. And yeah, lots of BD resources are from other authors.

I'm a big fan of Brutal Doom as well and I believe there are some other mods with added gore and unique death animations but BD is the mod for me. If you want more levels I will happily promote my wad in progress. It has 9 levels and 2 Boss fights. I'm not as skillful nor offer as much detail (still has plenty though) as Sgt.Marks but I do offer lots of BD mechanics and scripts that may be exactly what you're looking for.

But it only runs on Zandronum atm
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/74477-operation-uac-brutal-doom-wad/

Sorry for bypassing credits, tought BD was the first. And thanks for offering new levels Chezza, but what is Zandronum?

If there are good WADS with freelock, WASD and jumping I will be more than happy to try them If I can get some names.

RealDarko said:

Sorry for bypassing credits, tought BD was the first. And thanks for offering new levels Chezza, but what is Zandronum?

If there are good WADS with freelock, WASD and jumping I will be more than happy to try them If I can get some names.

Zandronum is a source port similar to GZDoom but with a focus on multiplayer. I personally use it instead of GZDoom since it gives better performance on my ghetto laptop. The interface/features are almost the same though for single player.

You can play any of the classic games or user WADs with WASD and free look but I don't know any that are balanced around jumping.

Yeah so when you play Doom these days it runs via a sourceport. There are a few out there that offer different features and settings. Chocolate Doom is like a re-creation of the classic but for modern systems meanwhile Zandronum is a popular multiplayer sourceport that also offers advanced graphical and sound options. Zdoom and GZDoom are two other modern Sourceports that are more popular for single player wads.

In saying that, you could essentially run any Wad you find with GZDoom, ZDoom or Zandronum and play it with mouse look and jumping etc. Even Wads that weren't designed for it *unless* the map makers coded their maps not to regardless of source port.

My Wad is singleplayer but requires Zandronum. Jumping is essential, mouse look is highly recommended and crouching allows you to find some secrets. It also must be played with BD V20b due to specific events and scripts utilizing the version's unique features.

RealDarko said:

So I can download any WAD I like, load in GZDoom and I will have both freelock and WASD?

Yes. You can also play Doom 1/2/Final like that by running it in GZDoom.

Chezza said:

It also must be played with BD V20b due to specific events and scripts utilizing the version's unique features.

Does it work with the latest Project Brutality? I'm not sure if it's using v20b as a base and includes all the features.

RealDarko said:

Thanks DoomzRules I will give it a try.

Can someone recommend couple of the best WADS out there?

Sure. My favourites are Valiant, Sunlust, Bloodstain and Hellbound. Scythe 1/2/X are also great. The first one especially is a lot of fun to blast through in a few hours.

RealDarko said:

Thanks DoomzRules I will give it a try.

Can someone recommend couple of the best WADS out there?

I strongly recommend Scythe 2. That IMHO is the best Doom 2 WAD out there... it has a Diablo vibe to it, it's really great. =)

Some of those WADS look just amazing!! Can't wait to try some of them, BTW is there any WAD based on the Aliens film that support freelook and WASD?

RealDarko said:

Some of those WADS look just amazing!! Can't wait to try some of them, BTW is there any WAD based on the Aliens film that support freelook and WASD?

Yes, yes there is! =D

Aliens: The Ultimate Doom

Aliens: Colonial Marines (the Doom mod not the crappy FPS.)

Oh and I STRONGLY recommend Doom the way Id did, as well as Doom the way Id did The Lost Episodes, Golden Souls I and II, Doom 2 the way id Did, as well as some other mods...

Epic 2 + WildWeasel's Nazis = Awesomeness

Accessories to Murder

Demonsteele

And some other mods. =D

"Wads" don't "support" features. Source ports do. (GZDoom, Zandronum, PrBoom-plus...) In fact, (nearly?) all source ports support WASD, and most of them support freelook. Just don't be lazy to go into their options and change the controls.

Thanks a lot guys! Now I need to found where to download those WADS and then how to add them to GZDoom with WASD and Freelook.

...Oh wow, we got through this thread without a massive douchesplosion. I'm proud of everyone, including myself because I know I haven't drank enough coffee this morning to be helpful.

And the titles of the wads on the Cacowards pages should get you over to the iDgames archive link to download them, as should the titles on the Doomwiki page.

Captain Ventris said:

...Oh wow, we got through this thread without a massive douchesplosion. I'm proud of everyone, including myself because I know I haven't drank enough coffee this morning to be helpful.

And the titles of the wads on the Cacowards pages should get you over to the iDgames archive link to download them, as should the titles on the Doomwiki page.

I was actually kinda waiting for that. Well, still happy with the outcome.

See people? BD can actually work for introducing to the newcomers lots of great and sometimes underrated content of the Doom community. Not to mention they can even start making maps and mods. And some "elitists" still think that BD is filling the community with dumbasses.

rileymartin said:

Does it work with the latest Project Brutality? I'm not sure if it's using v20b as a base and includes all the features.

I haven't tried. But if PB has changed any of the core values and features of monster health and damage (which an earlier version I played seems to change a significant amount of content) there is definitely a high risk of multiple scripts and triggers not working as intended.

My maps, they don't just revolve around BD but now rely on it. I scripted allies being glory killed, monsters throwing barrels at you, Revenants using nearby monsters as throwing projectiles against you etc. So PB can break some of these events if the monsters even behave slightly differently. Therefore, some situations can be quite fragile. Just running my wad on Zdoom instead of Zandronum has broken some slope effects and changed monster behaviors for reasons beyond my understanding. And Gzdoom straight out crashes.

Winged_Warrior said:

See people? BD can actually work for introducing to the newcomers lots of great and sometimes underrated content of the Doom community. Not to mention they can even start making maps and mods. And some "elitists" still think that BD is filling the community with dumbasses.

Yeah most people that get Brutal Doom, are newcomers to the Doom franchise and haven't really heard about other mods.

But there are some other REALLY great mods.

Like Accessories to Murder, Wildweasel's Nazis, Sporadic Deaths and Decorations (SHAMELESS SELF-PROMOTION!!!), Smooth Doom, Gritty Doom (SHAMELESS SELF-PROMOT... oh wait wasn't that a crappier version of Sporadic Deaths and Decorations? =P), Beautiful Doom (I <3 the gibs.), Project Brutality (is actually kinda fun not gonna lie.), Demonsteele, Colourful Hell (OH I LOVE THIS WITH DOOMRL!!!!), DoomRL Arsenal + Monsters, Doom RogueLike Monster Expansion, a bunch of stuff really...

There are so many mods, and they are all so good.

For me Brutal Doom needs a total reboot. By that I mean, Mark should just look at what made his early versions actually good...

Version 10 (the original) was good, because it kept it simple. Blood and gore, kicking, revitalized weapons + smoother animations, as well as realistic and much more detailed gore IMHO, no monster dying states, and shootable bodies.

It maintained the flow of the original Doom's gameplay.

But ever since he started adding on more cosmetic and more meaningless shit to the gameplay like monster dying states, fatalities, being able to flip off demons, and all this other bullshit, that's when the quality began to degrade.

Brutal Doom is like Communism. It sounds good on paper (hitboxes for the demons, more blood and gore and guts), but then it's poorly executed. If Mark had just stuck to making Doom more gory and bloody, with smoother weapon animations (and leaving the weapons untouched from their vanilla state + no reloading), I think the mod would have come out a lot better...

And maybe if he didn't modify the monster attack states and just left them the way they are and only added in blood and gore as well as smooth weapon animations....

That would make the mod a bit more liked in the community. That and if he gave credit to people, and if the fanbase wasn't so fucking annoying asking for mod compatibility with nearly every single damn Doom mod.... even other Doom engine games.

"DURRRRHHHHH CAN I HAZ BRUDDDAL DUUUUM IN HERETIC?"

*facepalms* "Why is this happening?"

*more BD goombas appear*

RUNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK OK I'm done with my mini-tirade/rant. Just my two cents. ^^

No hate towards the OP though. The OP is smart. =)

DoomzRules said:

Brutal Doom Quality gradually degrades and takes it too far after version 10

In defense on Brutal Doom (which I tend to do a lot) in regards to glory kills and monster deaths, fatalities are optional and be totally ignored which is welcomed since it can break the flow of Doom and even backfire. As for multiple monster deaths, the dying state should be less common (monsters screaming on the floor bleeding out) but I absolutely embrace the multiple deaths. In v20b you shoot a zombie in the chest with your shotgun and he may flip down stairs blasting his gun in the air. You know how much more of a satisfactory impact it makes using powerful weapons? It compliments one of Doom's strengths of impacting weaponry. The double barrel shotgun blast right in the Cacos face blows it to bits which I also find really satisfying but also so much more logical than the traditional 2x shot to kill with the SSG.

Headshots are so great, it really justifies the modern sourceport's mouselook although it can render some more powerful demons weaker, but I like the concept. Minigun directly to a Hellknight's and Mancubus head will make short work of them and provide an appropriate visual representation as feedback. I just can't see people hating on it other than how it changes the game's balancing from the traditional Doom. Ok I think I'm digressing from the initial point, I will stop here lol.

Chezza said:

In defense on Brutal Doom (which I tend to do a lot) in regards to glory kills and monster deaths, fatalities are optional and be totally ignored which is welcomed since it can break the flow of Doom and even backfire. As for multiple monster deaths, the dying state should be less common (monsters screaming on the floor bleeding out) but I absolutely embrace the multiple deaths. In v20b you shoot a zombie in the chest with your shotgun and he may flip down stairs blasting his gun in the air. You know how much more of a satisfactory impact it makes using powerful weapons? It compliments one of Doom's strengths of impacting weaponry. The double barrel shotgun blast right in the Cacos face blows it to bits which I also find really satisfying but also so much more logical than the traditional 2x shot to kill with the SSG.

Headshots are so great, it really justifies the modern sourceport's mouselook although it can render some more powerful demons weaker, but I like the concept. Minigun directly to a Hellknight's and Mancubus will make short work of them and provide an appropriate visual representation as feedback. I just can't see people hating on it other than how it changes the game's balancing from the traditional Doom. Ok I think I'm digressing from the initial point, I will stop here lol.

Look that's all good and all, but I'd like first-person fatalities so I don't feel detached, and I'd want them to be short, sweet, and quick (see Doom 2016 for an example of this.) Look I don't mind the multiple deaths. That's basically Random Deaths and Decorations and my mod (Sporadic Deaths and Decorations) in a nutshell. Multiple death animations.

I love some stuff in Brutal Doom don't get me wrong. I just have a big problem with the monster dying states and fatalities and feel they fuck up the flow of gameplay.... I digress as well. =P

RealDarko said:

Thanks a lot guys! Now I need to found where to download those WADS and then how to add them to GZDoom with WASD and Freelook.

You can enable Freelook in GZDoom in the Options category Mouse Options, by turning Always Mouselook ON. In HUD options you can set up your crosshair etc. The first option on the options screen, Customize Controls, is where you'll set up WASD movement etc.

For loading a WAD in GZDoom, just put it in your GZDoom folder and drag it onto your GZDoom exe. Or use a launcher like ZDL.

You can just google the name of a WAD you want and put idgames after it, or just go to

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/

Also, this wiki page that was linked earlier, each WADs page has a link to the idgames download page at the bottom. http://doomwiki.org/wiki/List_of_notable_WADs

As for Brutal Doom style gameplay mods, I highly recommend Trailblazer!

Enjoy your Dooming!

DoomzRules said:

Look that's all good and all, but I'd like first-person fatalities so I don't feel detached, and I'd want them to be short, sweet, and quick (see Doom 2016 for an example of this.) Look I don't mind the multiple deaths. That's basically Random Deaths and Decorations and my mod (Sporadic Deaths and Decorations) in a nutshell. Multiple death animations.

I love some stuff in Brutal Doom don't get me wrong. I just have a big problem with the monster dying states and fatalities and feel they fuck up the flow of gameplay.... I digress as well. =P

Then why not just use the Ketchup Mod (that Mark released) which doesn't altar the gameplay mechanic, but adds the gore and could also add the real gore v4 mod (for even gorier results! ;) )

As for the topic of OP - I actually downloaded every single one of these WADS (the best ones from Cacowards, and all time) and had them on a Hard-drive.... hard drive crashed 2 months ago :( I would've sent them all to you through drop box if i had of known you'd be needing them :(