Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
t3hPoundcake

Favorite In-fights?

What two enemies do you just love to see beat the shit out of each other? Or what favorite specific in-fight sticks in your memory out of all the maps you've played?

I love seeing a cyberdemon fuck up some barons, so it's probably Tricks and Traps for me from Doom 2, I love watching that fight go down. When you walk into a big arena area and you open up a trigger on each side of the room, what enemies are you hoping to see revealed?

BONUS POINTS: Not mentioning cyber vs. mastermind

Lost souls fighting against each other. I always imagined that's their version of matting... For some reason...

Weaklings killing stuck spider masterminds or cyberdemons are always amusing. Lost souls also can be a lot of fun, especially when there are many of them and you're behind some grate.

Anything involving Lost souls of PE's can be amusing.
Huge zombie fights are pretty fun too- especially when the chaingunners get involved behind them or other monsters helping to mow them down! :D

I like when the barrel infighting glitch occurs and a Mancubus starts infighting another Mancubus, or Arachnotron starts infighting another Arachnotron, both of which are hopeless, because they can only fire projectiles, and projectiles can't harm the same species as the monster who fired it, so these hopelessly infighting monsters would only give up when something else intervenes to either harm them again or kill their target. Cacodemons are also gimmicky at this, because they actually can harm each other by their melee attacks, which is extremely short range, and due to their cumbersome-ness, they have trouble getting to and staying near each other, so that it leads to long, slowly but surely advancing infights, where each of them actually actively targets and tries to fight the other one, and one of them eventually wins!

nxGangrel said:

Lost souls fighting against each other. I always imagined that's their version of matting... For some reason...

Lost Soul encounter feat. Doomguy and "Pimp" the Imp.

Mancubus vs Chaingunner, especially when the former gets chain-stunned and loses. It's hilarious.

Pinky's specters VS any monster, it's funny how when the pinky gets damaged first by the other monster and tries to bite it unsuccessfully seveal times and the monster keeps ignoring him and shooting the player instead. Untill the demon finally bites the monster and the pinky dies in 2 hits.

*Itches ass*

I remember years ago on the PSX version of Doom II, Tricks and Traps, The Cyberdemon had somehow gotten itself stuck in a doorway after infighting with the horde of teleporting Imps. However, one Imp survived and clawed the Cyberdemon until he went ka-boom. Quite a sight.

Piper Maru said:

I remember years ago on the PSX version of Doom II, Tricks and Traps, The Cyberdemon had somehow gotten itself stuck in a doorway after infighting with the horde of teleporting Imps. However, one Imp survived and clawed the Cyberdemon until he went ka-boom. Quite a sight.

Something similar happened to me on map 12(?) of Resurgence. The Cyber got surrounded by a horde of Pinkies and they chewed him to death. I guess he got chain-stunned or something.

Cyberdemon vs Spid... oh damn it.

Revenant vs Hellknight. Especially how Revenants can wonder around and shoot + melee in the fight.

t3hPoundcake said:

BONUS POINTS: Not mentioning cyber vs. mastermind

OK, then, I'll go with this: a bunch of pinky demons surrounding and chewing the crap out of a trapped mastermind. It's always hilarious to watch, IMHO.

Spider Mastermind vs everything. Because it's chaingun fires with the spread, soon enough it hits a lot of monsters around and then the shitfest starts..

Also I like when revenant fights with other zombies. It's just hilarious when he comes close to, say, zombieman, punches and gibs him and zombieman's gibs slide several meters.. It's especially funny because of revenant's punch sound. It's also funny when he launches a missile in a group of zombiemen and kills everyone.

should check j4rio and vdgg's tyson runs for some of the coolest in-fights ever... j4rio's MAP06 max is really creative I think

Cyberdemon vs cacodemons are my favorite

I love it when arch-viles attack cyberdemons with their Firewalls when cyberdemons do nothing about it in return :P

I recently encountered a really interesting infighting: a pain elemental tried to destroy a cacodemon with lost souls, but he was failing, because he was firing lost soul to close to the cacodemon, so they didn't spawn and cacodemon wasn't giving a shit about the pain elemental.

Anything involving Revenants. It always looks hilarious when they try to punch another monster. Bonus points when there are multiple Revenants. Awhile ago I had a bunch of them beating on a Baron. I almost felt sorry for him.

40oz said:

Cyberdemon vs cacodemons are my favorite

Whenever I saw a Caco-horde-vs-the-Cyberdemon setup in a wad, I've found it boring gameplay-wise. I guess mappers include such setups just for the sight, or intended feeling of epicness, but it doesn't work any well to improve gameplay anyhow apparently to me.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

I love it when arch-viles attack cyberdemons with their Firewalls when cyberdemons do nothing about it in return :P

Even the Cyberdemon knows not to screw with the White Mage.

As for my favorite, nothing beats a good E1M8 Baron on Baron death-match, the best part is betting which one will win. My bet's on the pink one.

Always loved killing masterminds with a mob of Demons or other lower-ranking hellspawn. Always found it both funny and fascinating how such a simple mechanic such as infighting can change a game and add so much depth to the combat.

At one point I was testing a Spider Mastermind encounter, that had a few cannon fodder monsters sprinkled in. It really bought home to me just how vulnerable the SM is. I ended up witnessing it getting backed into a corner and killed by just a single Pinky, and on another occassion two Imps.

On another occassion I thought it might be interesting to have an encounter featuring a massive swarm of Lost Souls, because I had never seen something like that in a Doom map. It turned out that there was a reason for that, because 144 Lost Souls mostly just kill each other before the player can make a dent in their numbers.

Darklordrobert said:

Anything involving Revenants. It always looks hilarious when they try to punch another monster. Bonus points when there are multiple Revenants. Awhile ago I had a bunch of them beating on a Baron. I almost felt sorry for him.

Same, i love to watch a Revenant trying to punch another monster.

RUSH said:

Lost Soul encounter feat. Doomguy and "Pimp" the Imp.

I was thinking more of a Nat Geo Wild episode.