Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
t3hPoundcake

Favorite In-fights?

For Doom (1), BoH versus Cacodemon. They seem to have a special enemy status.

Revenant versus Mancubus. One of the best Doom 2 match ups.

Arch-Vile vs. anything in close-enough quarters that the Vile has a chance of committing suicide. It's always hilarious to me when that happens.

scifista42 said:

I like when the barrel infighting glitch occurs and a Mancubus starts infighting another Mancubus, or Arachnotron starts infighting another Arachnotron, both of which are hopeless, because they can only fire projectiles, and projectiles can't harm the same species as the monster who fired it, so these hopelessly infighting monsters would only give up when something else intervenes to either harm them again or kill their target. Cacodemons are also gimmicky at this, because they actually can harm each other by their melee attacks, which is extremely short range, and due to their cumbersome-ness, they have trouble getting to and staying near each other, so that it leads to long, slowly but surely advancing infights, where each of them actually actively targets and tries to fight the other one, and one of them eventually wins!

I also like the cacodemon suicide barrel glitch...where a cacodemon actually bites itself to death.

Chaingunner vs any high hp high pain chance bad guy. Especially good if one chainer can take a couple of bigger guys out

My favorite would probably be Baron vs Hell Knight. Especially if it starts at a longer range. They just splash each other with green goop without effect, until they get close enough, where the Baron is like "I've had enough of this nonsense, bow before me MINION!!!" and proceeds to subdue the Hell Knight in a melee fight to the death. The feeling of superiority of the Baron over the Knight is just immense and when I first saw this happen, I was just respectfully standing there, watching and not intervening in the very severe loyalty issues in the Hell hierarchy.

The Archvile vs. anything else - I just love seeing the Archvile's attack animation from multiple angles, and seeing some poor sucker get launched up into the air is always amusing :D

Pinkies vs Pinkies, though it's nearly impossible to induce after v1.1 of Doom. When they did fight however, they were extremely funny especially if the attack sequences were in sync, and viewed from the side ;-)

Any monster vs the Pain Elemental. Again, it's very hard but not completely impossible to get other monsters to retaliate against the PE[/url].

Revenants vs HKs, Barons or Mancs: it's always interesting to see how the higher projectile accuracy/damage and the slightly faster melee can make Revenants a PITA even for higher tier monsters, and I have fun "placing bets" on the outcome of a particular encounter.

A Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind separated by a distance to give it an equal chance is always a pleasure.

A Cyberdemon up against a wall of chaingunners is also a fun prospect, but if it's been done in a wad I can't remember it. There'd have to be a linedef to stop the cyb getting too close to the wall. The player would have to bait the chaingunners and hide behind the cyb, it wouldn't be easy, but if the balance was right of enough chaingunners vs cyb painchance etc. it could be fun.

I too love the rare fights caused by barrels, between imps and other imps, or baron-on-baron fighting --- it's like being a wildlife enthusiast seeing some rare phenomenon in the natural world. (talk in hushed tones like Attenborough)

Also, I once very much enjoyed seeing a large group of demons bite a cyberdemon to death.

I was just playing map 23 and a demon ate an arachnotron to death. The arachnotron was totally hopeless, he was stuck and paralized, while the demon was chewing him. And I was laughing during the whole process.

The fight between the cyberdemons and zombie dudes on the secret map of swim with the whales.

Well after reviewing the monster disambiguation page on the Doom wiki I've decided I prefer fights between spawn spots and Romero's head.

Seriously though, my favorite is probably mancubus v. rev, especially if they're on ledges opposite each other so it's all projectile, with enough room to move so that fireballs and non-homing rockets will miss sometimes due to the monsters not leading. I always pull for the mancubus.

MathsDevil said:

I too love the rare fights caused by barrels, between imps and other imps, or baron-on-baron fighting --- it's like being a wildlife enthusiast seeing some rare phenomenon in the natural world. (talk in hushed tones like Attenborough)

Also, I once very much enjoyed seeing a large group of demons bite a cyberdemon to death.

You can make a simple line in a dehacked patch file that will make monsters of the same type infight if they hit each other.

The first infighting I saw was a shotgun sergeant and a pinkie when I was 9 years old. Keeping in mind Doom was like 1 year old at that point, and it was the most graphically insane thing I had ever seen.

In E1M5, Phobos Lab, near the beginning there's a point that I saw my first pinkie, looking through a small window, surrounded by some zombiemen and shotgun guys. The shotgun guy hit the pinkie, and the pinkie bit him and he BLEW THE FUCK UP! I hadn't seen gibs up until that point, and now there's a huge fucking demon that bites people after getting hit with a shotgun, and they BLOW THE FUCK UP! Looking back on it, there's a barrel in the middle of the room that must've been hit at the same time so the zombie gibbed.

But yeah, I saw a huge demon just bite someone and they blew up. I was scared.

Jello said:

The shotgun guy hit the pinkie, and the pinkie bit him and he BLEW THE FUCK UP! I hadn't seen gibs up until that point, and now there's a huge fucking demon that bites people after getting hit with a shotgun, and they BLOW THE FUCK UP!

A Pinkie is fully capable of gibbing a Zombie, given its 40 HP max. damage. Actually, pretty much every monster with a melee attack (except Lost Souls) can do that with Zombiemen, even Imps. Shotgun guys are just tough enough to be "safe" from Imps but not from Demons.

I must not understand the barrel trick. People talking about same monster fighting each other? I was aware that the barrel trick could cause one monster to attack another monster of the same type, like Baron to attack another Baron. But wouldn't the recipient of such an attack just ignore it? How do you get them both attacking each other?

Actually, if you get a monster to destroy a barrel and it harms another monster, the harmed monster will target the one that destroyed the barrel. You can see this in E1M8 and I just recently induced it in MARSW301 in a level with 2 Barons of Hell and some barrels around. Apparently, the monster that hit the barrel doesn't even have to destroy it, just the last hit before it exploded so you could finish off the barrel yourself and still have the monster see the other monster as the target.

Face23785 said:

But wouldn't the recipient of such an attack just ignore it?

Only projectile-based attacks have the trait that they don't damage monsters of the same type as the monster who fired them. However, melee attacks, hitscan attacks, radius explosion attacks and any other attacks do not have this trait, so that they can damage monsters of the same type as the attacker. And once the damage is dealt, the hurt monster will just retaliate against the attacker, no matter his type.

So, you use the barrel bug to make monster #1 attack monster #2. Once monster #1 manages to hit monster #2 with any kind of non-projectile-based attack, monster #2 will attack monster #1 in return.

scifista42 said:

Only projectile-based attacks have the trait that they don't damage monsters of the same type as the monster who fired them. However, melee attacks, hitscan attacks, radius explosion attacks and any other attacks do not have this trait, so that they can damage monsters of the same type as the attacker. And once the damage is dealt, the hurt monster will just retaliate against the attacker, no matter his type.

So, you use the barrel bug to make monster #1 attack monster #2. Once monster #1 manages to hit monster #2 with any kind of non-projectile-based attack, monster #2 will attack monster #1 in return.

That answers my question thank you. I wasn't aware that the type of attack made a difference. I guess I should put this in the "Things about Doom you just found out" thread but I'm too lazy. Still, pretty cool.

The Archvile is an exception, of course. He's programmed in such a way that other monsters will never attack him under any circumstance short of modding the game.

^ Cyberdemons too, with that splash damage. Not that those who get mad at him would survive for long... It may still be good infighting when the other monsters are everywhere, the player has restricted movement and has to avoid the monsters while also paying attention to the Cyberdemon.

In the original IWADs, my favourite fight is the one between lost souls/pain elementals and cacodemons in Level 29 of Doom II. I get myself into the cage where chaingunners were and then without firing at all, I am able to get several cacodemons and two pain elementals killed. It does not get old. :-)