Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Krimson Madness

In Defense of DOOM

-Rocket Launcher
-Gauss Cannon
-BFG 9000
-Chainsaw

These weapons shouldn't be in loadouts right? Obviously.

IMO, the loadouts just make the whole game start stronger. Imagine everyone running around with pistols right in the beginning. Then there's the part when someone joins IN THE MIDDLE OF THE MATCH. I believe that these loadouts level the playing field. Although we have seen how sweet the SR/SSG loadout is, doesn't mean everyone will use it. Some may not be accurate enough, so may choose say PR/SG(or SSG). All guns are balanced, remember that. Or don't have enough turning speed. Or some may want it to feel aesthetic, such as HMG/SG.

Krimson Madness said:

Because they need to give it more power and make it a pickup weapon, it's a rocket launcher for gods sake.

I take it your experience with rocket launchers is limited to classic Doom and Quake.

Krimson Madness said:

What is your point? Can you be more specific?

He says you only think that the classic game RLs are what you think "the only option".

Shaviro said:

You know, from my own experience the overzealous defense of a game (as seen a *lot* in this particular forum) is usually more about trying to fend off your own negative thoughts than it is to convince anyone else they're wrong. A few years down the line one accepts that perhaps the game wasn't all that and you move on. I've been there. It's not pretty.

Doom 3.

You know, I keep hearing people complain why loadouts are bad, but can someone actually explain why it's bad? I certainly find it a better system than starting with a crappy weapon while other players horde the best guns. It's more balanced that way IMO.

Also, I don't want the weapons to be too powerful. The primary issue with Call of Duty's multiplayer is the fact that the time to kill is so low that who wins is mainly determined by who sees who first, not any actual skill. Only power weapons should be instant or near instant kills.

gameragodzilla said:

The primary issue with Call of Duty's multiplayer is the fact that the time to kill is so low that who wins is mainly determined by who sees who first, not any actual skill. Only power weapons should be instant or near instant kills.

Would you say the first person who sees someone in Quake 3 always wins? Of course not. That's because there's a high skill ceiling for maneuverability. Even though something like the Railgun or Rocket Launcher can provide an instant kill, you still have to hit the opponent. And that opponent can dance around your shots if they're good enough.

What the new DOOM does is lower the skill ceiling of maneuverability and instead increase the health so that players aren't instant killed. It's definitely a prime case of dumbing something down, most likely due to console controls making it necessary.

So when people complain about loadouts and the movement speed being a bit too slow, it's not just for the sake of it. That adds more depth to the game.

With that said, while DOOM may not be as skillful as something like Quake 3, it's still a very skillful game compared to most other shooters. And it's still fun. But yes, it could be better.