Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Does id get a cut out of the sales of this product?

I was browsing the internet for Doom shirts, came across this. It's a hockey shirt that uses the Doom logo. Upon doing a little light research, I found that "The Legion Of Doom" was a nickname given to three hockey players of the late nineties.

Here's the shirt graphic:

Has anybody seen this before?

Here's the page that the shirt is being sold on.

I once bought a doom skateboard from a local skateboard shop called black diamond. It was called the doomsday board and it literally had the Ultimate Doom cover art on the deck and said BDMD in Doom font. The shop has since been out of business for a few years. Ive seen a lot of band t shirts use well known product fonts and references to things for their logos

Oh id software definitely noticed and their legal team worked out a handsome deal with this stay-at-home t-shirt guy. You have an eye for how the business world really works, good find.

Vorpal said:

Oh id software definitely noticed and their legal team worked out a handsome deal with this stay-at-home t-shirt guy. You have an eye for how the business world really works, good find.

I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not. Either way though, even if id doesn't get a cut, they would have legal standing to sue if they wanted to.

TraceOfSpades said:

I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not. Either way though, even if id doesn't get a cut, they would have legal standing to sue if they wanted to.

Assuming they did even have any ground to stand on, why would id (or anyone for that matter) go through the trouble and expenses to sue the creator of a t-shirt that nobody can even recognize?

TraceOfSpades said:

Either way though, even if id doesn't get a cut, they would have legal standing to sue if they wanted to.

Why do you even care?
You just sound like a guy who likes accusing someone of stealing someone else's property..

ChekaAgent said:

Why do you even care?
You just sound like a guy who likes accusing someone of stealing someone else's property..

I don't, really. It was just curiosity on my part. I was wondering if anybody else on here had ever seen this design before and possibly if they knew of any interesting stories involving it.

MetroidJunkie said:

Suing because of how it's shaped? This is ID, not Apple.

I don't know. I saw the possibility, and asked.

Why are so many peolle getting bent out of shape over this?

There is "parody law" and stuff like that, the reason Mad Magazine wouldn't get sued for having a parody of Doom on the cover, even using the word Doom. This t-shirt could easily fit under that banner, and would most likely not get in trouble.

Even in countries where parody is less of a strong legal defense than in the US, like say the UK, recently a Judge Dredd comic featuring Ronald McDonald, Jolly Green Giant, etc having a crazy fight from the 70s is officially back in print. Since parody laws just become looser over there, finally.

So I'm sure this shirt would be fine.

TraceOfSpades said:

I don't know. I saw the possibility, and asked.

Why are so many peolle getting bent out of shape over this?

I was making a very sad joke because Apple sued Samsung over their phones being rectangles with rounded edges.

PsychoGoatee said:

There is "parody law" and stuff like that, the reason Mad Magazine wouldn't get sued for having a parody of Doom on the cover, even using the word Doom. This t-shirt could easily fit under that banner, and would most likely not get in trouble.

Even in countries where parody is less of a strong legal defense than in the US, like say the UK, recently a Judge Dredd comic featuring Ronald McDonald, Jolly Green Giant, etc having a crazy fight from the 70s is officially back in print. Since parody laws just become looser over there, finally.

So I'm sure this shirt would be fine.

I didn't think about that. Shame on me, I just got done learning about parody law in one of my courses, too.

I'm actually more curious as to who these three hockey players were and why they are still known today as the "Legion of Doom." Interesting find.

Time to Google!

RUSH said:

I'm actually more curious as to who these three hockey players were and why they are still known today as the "Legion of Doom." Interesting find.

Time to Google!

Well, at least someone liked this. Haha

Zenimax have more profitable people to sue than a tshirt vendor. C&D wouldn't be unlikely though, particularly with Doom 4 making the mark worth protecting again.