Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Insomniak

Doom in Popular Science

Yeah, so i'm subscribed to Popular Science, and I just got my new issue today. It has at least 2 pages in a chapter about game mods talking about Doom and it's fan base.

here's the link

Here's a sample:

"This barely foreshadowed the tremendous impact of Doom, a seminal game released in 1993 by a company called id Software. Doom invited the mod community into the tent. John Carmack, lead programmer, was a hacker who, as a teen, cracked open games to give his characters extra skills. Carmack became intrigued by the emerging mod phenomenon when he saw that someone had hacked the code of id's early shooter, Wolfenstein 3D, and replaced the Nazi bosses with dancing purple Barneys. Many versions of the Wolfenstein Barney Patch can still be found on the Web. "Ever since then," says Carmack, "it's been one of my highest strategic decisions to make all these things possible. Putting these capabilities into the hands of the users, the game becomes a new canvas for people."

Nah thats the correct use of the term hacking, really.

Shaviro said:

Treasures? what treasures?

Yeah, they also said assassins, maybe they mean the zombies. Bah, whatever.

bigbadgangsta said:

Yeah, they also said assassins, maybe they mean the zombies. Bah, whatever.

zombieassassins? O_o That is some mixup.

mmnpsrsoskl said:
Heh, that was pretty kewl. I never knew it was 2 aussies who created Team Fortress for Quake.

You'd be serprised at all the stuff we've done for the gaming commuity.

Shaviro said:

Treasures? what treasures?

Doom originally had treasures you could collect.

gatewatcher said:

what did the treasures do anyway? (the ones in the press release)

Gave you points. Enough points got you an extra life, just like Wolf3D. This was before id ditched the points/lives concept. The Soul Spheres were originally supposed to be 1-ups.

Yeah, it's a cool article. How many magazines can you name that talk about stuff like DEU and DeHackEd like that?

From the Doom Bible, the original plans for Doom sounded a lot like System Shock.

Hmm...I don't remember. Although conceptually, it would have been very cool if everything was actually implemented. But then we wouldn't have the Doom we know and love...