Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cire

How old is/was your oldest relative?

I'm rather bored tonight. ;)
My great grand-mother's sister is my oldest relative living (also, oldest at all that I know of). She will (hopefully) turn 107 years this autumn.
How about you fellow Doomworlders?
EDIT: Corrected this a few times, because of bad english

Ok, I reply, because I'm bored, too. I'm always bored.

My oldest relative who I knew was one of my great grandmothers, who died in her 80s.
My oldest living relative is grandmother, who's now 67.

People in my country don't usually live long enough. It's a miracle if someone here lives up their 100s. In fact, I'm 18 and I already lost all my great grandparents, both my grandfathers and one grandmother.

OK, thanks for replying! ;)
I'm sad to hear that! ;(
Don't know what country you're from though. I'm from Sweden, don't know if you already know that, but I'll mention it anyway.
She's the only one left from that generation in my ancestry though, although her sister's that survived to adulthood all became old, my great grandmother being the youngest to die of them at 97. I'm 28 myself though now. I still have both my grandfathers and grandmothers left. They're all somewhere in their 70s now.

My mom works at a nursing home and I remember her telling me her oldest patient died at 112.

Grandad on my mums side lived to 94. Built furniture in to his late 80s and passed away on the farm my mother grew up in.

Great Depression era tough.

That's completely understandable. There's only so much informatino one can store in the active memory parts of the brain, if you know what I mean! ;)

My granddad was the youngest of four brothers, all born roughly five years apart. It's only him and the second youngest (aka my great-uncle) left now, and they're 84 and 88-90 now respectively. The first two both died in their mid-80s so they're both doing pretty well.

They're the oldest still alive, but that great-uncle's wife died about a year ago, aged 97.

My grandpa was 93 when he died. Mainliest guy I've ever met. He fought in WWII, which left him very rough, but he was a still nice person. If he didn't smoke so much, he would probably still be alive today, at around 98 years old. He was -the- man

He seemed like a cool guy! I'm sad to hear that he had to serve during the war though. ;( Can't even imagine the horror of surviving thru a war. At least 93 isn't too bad for a man though.

My great-grandmother who passed away in 2006 lived to be 92 years old.

Metformin, a very inexpensive type-2 diabetes drug, has the benefit of making animals extend their lifespan; while maintaining youthful vitality. Thus far it has proven successful for animal-subjects. This year, the United States will begin human trails. Supposedly, it will allow humans, who take it early enough, to live up to 120 years old.

Yeah, I've Heard about it too, fascinating stuff! It's probably too late for me, but will most certainly be really useful for others! Really feels like rapid progress is being made in medicine nowadays. A friend today showed me a guy on the Internet that had suffered a neck injury and became almost completely immobilized. They somehow conected a Cable between his brain and neck to convert and re-route the nerve impulses I Think. It seems to be working, he could move one of his hands a bit at least I Think. Hopefully he'll recover even more with time.

Cire said:

Yeah, I've Heard about it too, fascinating stuff! It's probably too late for me, but will most certainly be really useful for others!

I'll be 31 in June, so I hope they produce some definitive results, fast.

EDIT:

If they do manage to extend the lifespan of people, that would probably be a driving force in our need to colonize other habitats; like ocean floors; space-platforms; and terraforming moons and planets. Overpopulation would need to be dealt with, and there would need to be massive reforms to our current societies. That being said, I hope they keep the retirement age the same or even lower it. I don't want to live longer, to work longer.

Yeah, I wonder how Young you need to be when you start taking it for it to work. If there's hope for you, it's hope for me too, since I'll be 29 in November.
EDIT: Yeah, that would definitely need to be dealt with. But I do agree with you about the retirement age. Because as you said, not many people would want to live longer to work longer unless it's their dreamjob I guess.

Cire said:

Yeah, I wonder how Young you need to be when you start taking it for it to work. If there's hope for you, it's hope for me too, since I'll be 29 in November.

If cloning becomes more advanced, there wouldn't even need to be such a need for a drug like this. We would simply be able to grow new bodies, or parts/organs, after our natural born cells begin to stop replicating properly from aging.

HorrorMovieGuy said:

My grandpa was 93 when he died. Mainliest guy I've ever met. He fought in WWII, which left him very rough, but he was a still nice person. If he didn't smoke so much, he would probably still be alive today, at around 98 years old. He was -the- man

Sounds like my grandpa too. He lived to be 85, fought in WWII, and smoked cigarettes since he was a child. He died from brain cancer, nevertheless, like lung cancer; its linked to smoking as well.

http://www.webmd.com/cancer/brain-cancer/brain-cancer

They also found tumors in his lungs during the autopsy.

Kontra Kommando said:

This year, the United States will begin human trails. Supposedly, it will allow humans, who take it early enough, to live up to 120 years old. [...]

I hope they produce some definitive results, fast.

If they start testing on, say, 20-year old people now, the definitive results might be produced after... 100 years from now? Less years only if they will be negative. :O

scifista42 said:

If they start testing on, say, 20-year old people now, the definitive results might be produced after... 100 years from now? Less years only if they will be negative. :O

You're right actually. But also, if the test subject maintains youthfulness during that time. Say if they look like they are 40, when they are 80.

I'm glad I don't smoke! You pay with both your wallet and your Health.

Oldest living is my mom, at 61.

Oldest relative I've ever known was my grandmother, who died at 97.