• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheRailgunner

[WIP - G/ZDoom] The Trooper - 0.2.4.1 Released! [DUAL REVOLVERS]

Yep, that error disappeared, but then I get:
Script error, "the_trooper.pk3:decorate/weapons/quick_knife.txt" line 46:
Expected ')', got ','.

That one (and only that weapon, I checked) uses CustomPunch as well. Never worked with DECORATE, else I'd fix it and check for further errors. Let's hope this is the last one, and that you aren't losing too much functionality to make it Zand-compatible.

Albertoni said:

Yep, that error disappeared, but then I get:
Script error, "the_trooper.pk3:decorate/weapons/quick_knife.txt" line 46:
Expected ')', got ','.

That one (and only that weapon, I checked) uses CustomPunch as well. Never worked with DECORATE, else I'd fix it and check for further errors. Let's hope this is the last one, and that you aren't losing too much functionality to make it Zand-compatible.

I've rearranged a few things regarding the knife's sound effects and made the A_CustomPunch lines Zand-friendly. Hopefully this is the last one, since I'm starting to wonder how The Trooper would play out in a deathmatch scenario...

I'm sorry, it isn't, and this time it's definitely a breaking change:

Script error, "the_trooper.pk3:decorate/effects/projectiles.txt" line 2695:
Expected ')', got ','.
TNT1 A 0 A_BFGSpray("XBFGMiniblastage",5,(random(1,3)*1), 360)

That last parameter does not exist in Zandronum, and it's the angle. You cannot set a custom angle to a BFG spray in Zand, it seems.
Sorry, man.

Albertoni said:

I'm sorry, it isn't, and this time it's definitely a breaking change:

Script error, "the_trooper.pk3:decorate/effects/projectiles.txt" line 2695:
Expected ')', got ','.
TNT1 A 0 A_BFGSpray("XBFGMiniblastage",5,(random(1,3)*1), 360)

That last parameter does not exist in Zandronum, and it's the angle. You cannot set a custom angle to a BFG spray in Zand, it seems.
Sorry, man.

Shit - I'll try to figure out a way to replicate the 360 degree BFG spray that allows me to remove the angle argument from the code.

If it's any help, Project Brutality has a black hole gun. Might be what you're after, might not. Good luck!

As much as I appreciate the new weapons, I am not sure why you keep adding more to the mod. Does Doom really need five different machine guns?

JohnnyTheWolf said:

As much as I appreciate the new weapons, I am not sure why you keep adding more to the mod. Does Doom really need five different machine guns?

No, not really. I got carried away mostly because the novelty of the existing arsenal wore off for me and the forum threads were stagnating. It also gives me room to mess with concepts relating to future projects before starting on them, hopefully building up to a final set or so of tested and polished mechanics that will set a new standard for what can be accomplished by modders in the Doom engine. The extra machine guns are mostly just minor examples - weapon/handling archetypes that can be used in later mods.

To be honest, I ought to replace the remaining sphere powerups before I start adding newer, crazier guns to even things out. I'm also considering simply taking the extra guns and putting them in an add-on to the base mod.

A few quick fixes, plus a new powerup:

*Quad Damage now replaces Berserk; Berserk effect is now exclusively granted by the Demon Blood Sword.
*Dual-wielding the XM27 during Quad Damage functions properly now.
*Nishimura Seven no longer bobs during A_WeaponReady sections of its firing animation.
*Joe Nameless now has a few new attributes - lowered side-move speed, increased jump height, smaller radius, increased step height, and slightly lower gravity.
*Blursphere now replaced with Ultra Boots - grants a jump-height increase, 1.75x movement speed, and lower gravity for 60 seconds!
*Monsters can cross monster blocking lines.

In addition, I've posted a hopefully Zand-friendly build that omits the Crimson Spectre's 360 degree BFG spray, as well as adding obituaries for each weapon and projectile!

Hopefully Zandronum 3.0 compatible build?

Same as above, but with RDND compatibility.

Please to tell me if it works, yes?

You forgot two BFGSprays:
Script error, "the_trooper_zand.pk3:decorate/effects/projectiles.txt" line 2734
Script error, "the_trooper_zand.pk3:decorate/effects/projectiles.txt" line 3026

Then there are a bunch more in barrel.txt, which I took the liberty to remove to test further. Here's my modified file: http://pastebin.com/raw/DPBC5cqN

Even without these, it didn't run...

Script error, "the_trooper_zand2.pk3:decorate/effects/sfx.txt" line 3063:
"mirrorreflect" is an unknown flag

Script error, "the_trooper_zand2.pk3:decorate/effects/sfx.txt" line 3063:
"aimreflect" is an unknown flag

Script error, "the_trooper_zand2.pk3:decorate/effects/sfx.txt" line 3069:
Unknown identifier 'WARPF_COPYVELOCITY'

Execution could not continue.

Script error, "the_trooper_zand2.pk3:decorate/effects/sfx.txt" line 3071:
Invalid state parameter a_remove

Albertoni said:

You forgot two BFGSprays:
Script error, "the_trooper_zand.pk3:decorate/effects/projectiles.txt" line 2734
Script error, "the_trooper_zand.pk3:decorate/effects/projectiles.txt" line 3026

Then there are a bunch more in barrel.txt, which I took the liberty to remove to test further. Here's my modified file: http://pastebin.com/raw/DPBC5cqN

Even without these, it didn't run...

Glad you found that - I've removed A_Remove, the remaining spray actors, WARPF_COPYVELOCITY, +MIRRORREFLECT, and +AIMREFLECT.

Alright, so I've added quick melees:

*The knife can be used while any gun is drawn with User1.
*The Demon Blood Sword can be used (if you have it) in the same fashion using User2.

Note that since weapons now have +THRUGHOST (so that the DBS can still reflect projectiles), any custom/non-Doom enemies that have the +GHOST flag will be immune to anything other than projectiles/FastProjectiles, so keep that in mind if you, uh, like shooting ghosts. You cannot quick melee if you have a melee weapon drawn, mainly because such would be rickdiculous and unnecessary.

The indev Zandronum build does NOT have this feature yet - I'm waiting until it runs in Zand 3.0 without errors before applying this functionality.

Your .pk3 has two files with the same name in some folders, that's kind of weird. >_>
/sprites/fusion/FUSXA0.png
/sprites/surfeit_torment/2RVPA0.png (different file sizes)
/sprites/gpmg/GPMFE0.png
/graphics/crosshairs/xhair99.png (same size, different dates)

Very well, this error message made me laugh out loud:
Script error, "the_trooper_zand.pk3:decorate/effects/sfx.txt" line 3136:
Expected ',', got 'Death'.

You missed a ) there, it seems.

I'm happy to say that adding that ) made it run. Seems to work flawlessly, did 3 levels of plain old doom 2 and tested all weapons.

Albertoni said:

Your .pk3 has two files with the same name in some folders, that's kind of weird. >_>
/sprites/fusion/FUSXA0.png
/sprites/surfeit_torment/2RVPA0.png (different file sizes)
/sprites/gpmg/GPMFE0.png
/graphics/crosshairs/xhair99.png (same size, different dates)

Very well, this error message made me laugh out loud:
Script error, "the_trooper_zand.pk3:decorate/effects/sfx.txt" line 3136:
Expected ',', got 'Death'.

You missed a ) there, it seems.

I'm happy to say that adding that ) made it run. Seems to work flawlessly, did 3 levels of plain old doom 2 and tested all weapons.

Huh - anyway, fixed. The duplicate sprites have been removed, with the exception of the GPMG's, which was renamed since it was supposed to be "GPMFF0", and the Fusion Rifle's, which should've been "FUSXM0". I've noticed that GZDoom doesn't display messages regarding duplicate sprites.

I'm gonna make deal with the dupes in the main versions, and then start porting over quick-melee functionality. Oh, and thank you very much for testing this!

Yeah, I noticed it when I tried to add the decorate files back to the file to test. 7-zip would throw an error and not let me add them.

You're welcome, I'm actually glad to have a reason to take a look into decorate to help fix it.

So, the Zandronum quick-melee functionality will take longer to finish - each weapon's firing sound has to be defined to DSEMPTY (or The Trooper's equivalent, Weapons/DemonsBlood/DSEMPTY) in order to make this work. It's possible, but I'd have to strip the quick-melee code of everything after the "range" parameter.

The XM-27's dual-wielded firing mode has changed; instead of firing in unison, they fire in tandem for more consistent painlocking. The caveat is that because of this, their recoil becomes much greater (though not as high as other automatic weapons).

This patch makes the player's movement properties identical to Doomguy's. It can be loaded after any version of The Trooper. This other patch lowers the player's MaxStepHeight to 24, if you want to avoid breaking some maps by walking over edges you aren't meant to walk over.

A bunch of things:

*Quick melee bugs are entirely fixed, including on where Quad Damage sound effects didn't play during quick-melees.
*Enemies now chase the player much more relentlessly, and will often try to clear a line of fire before attacking to reduce the frequency of infighting over time. In addition, hitscanners can no longer infight except with non-hitscanners.
*Shotgun damage has been reduced overall - the VSK7 only deals 5d3 more damage than the vanilla shotgun, for example.
*Sharpshooter Arm now deals double damage.
*Quad Damage replaces the Blursphere again, at least until I fix Ultra Boots.
*Slot 9 weapons (Aries Sharpshooter Prosthesis, Nishimura Seven Battle Rifle) can now be scoped-in with the Zoom key.
*Player movement is now centered chiefly around forward movement - backward, leftward, or rightward movement will be noticeably slower.
*Slots have been rearranged - the M97 has moved back to Slot 3 and the Last Salvo back to Slot 5, among other things (for some reason, I put the Pulsar-D in Slot 8). The knife and Demon Blood Sword are no longer selectable weapons owing to quick melee functionality (which is a good bit more convenient than switching to either of them).
*Quick melee speed increased dramatically.
*The VSK7 Nightshade has all-new sprites.

I've separated the extra weapons from the main mod - they are now optional, limiting The Trooper's default arsenal to just ten weapons. I've also updated HUD sprites for the Last Salvo (which was a doozy) and Aries Sharpshooter Prosthesis, in addition to these other changes:

*Last Salvo now charges for a short period before firing. It is also now technically automatic for laziness purposes.
*Last Salvo gained a special mode - Overdrive, which allows for faster automatic firing and skipping the charge on follow-up shots.
*Sharpshooter Arm and Last Salvo now have greatly reduced deselect times; these are compensated for by their long select animations.

I felt I kind of half-assed the Last Salvo the first time around, and I wanted a satisfying do-over. Hopefully, this should make up for it.

So, I've uploaded 0.2.4.1 - here are the changes (shamelessly stolen from a previous post):

*The Tunguska Event dual-wieldable explosive revolver occasionally spawns or drops from Zombiemen.
*The GPMG is now more or less a single-use item; after emptying it, it will be dropped and removed from your inventory.
*The VSK9 and Nishimura Seven have newer sprites (Extra Weapons only)
*The Last Salvo deals more area damage in-transit.
*Enemies are somewhat more diverse - mostly just some new zombies and some extra variants of existing monsters until more interesting opponents enter the battlefield.
*Wolfenstein SS now drop the Sturmgewehr 46 (Extra Weapons only).
*Revenant missiles now home every 4 tics instead of every 2.
*Nishimura Seven now has a higher rate of fire and reduced ADS recoil during primary fire. Secondary fire has greater recoil and a longer view recovery period, but the same rate of fire as primary. Normal bullets do a little over half as much damage to compensate in order to scale the N7's damage to its ammo pool, and to make more apparent that the N7 is more a battle rifle than a sniper.
*Most enemies are vulnerable to headshots, with few exceptions.

Issues I am aware of:
*Any explosive weapon aimed at head level is entirely too effective - for example, hitting an Archvile in the face with a grenade is a one-shot-kill, but isn't really supposed to be.
*The XM27 and Surfeit Torment's dual-wield functions aren't bound to the same key - can be very confusing.

The RDND and base versions have been rolled into one mod - the basic version is otherwise discontinued.