Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sheridan

DOOM is getting ripped and torn by negative Steam reviews

There are far more worse games in steam that has a higher rating than 36% (which by the way is still going down for some reason), It's comparable to a very broken game that had no inspiration and dev management. No matter how much it differs from other arena shooters and the classic dooms, these reviews are almost akin to demonizing the game...even for just being a beta of the multiplayer. What most of the reviews I read is that they want it to be another Quake 3, no seriously, read the first 10 comments and you'll see them comparing it to CoD , Halo, counter-strike (yes seriously) and Quake live.

The reviews are justified. Doom is not Quake, so that's why it sucks. It sucks, and don't argue about that.

I'm not honestly sure how many of those reviews are actual reviews of the beta, and not just purely them raging on how they hate the game (or the mp at least) for not adhering to what they thought it was going to be. There are probably actual reviews for either side (positive or negative) but I think it would be to much of a hassle to try and sift through them.

ChekaAgent said:

The reviews are justified. Doom is not Quake, so that's why it sucks. It sucks, and don't argue about that.

^ pretty much sums up the review section.

ChekaAgent said:

Yeah, quality post.
Nice fucking quality post.
Loving it.

ChekaAgent said:

Yep. How dare anyone have a subjective opinion.

Tbh, I don't think it sucks. I think it's rather good. Not great. Needs some improvements and I have some expectations that things like matchmaking and stuff will change at launch, but for a demo, I found it fun to play.

Sure there are some dumb negative reviews from people who just hate Bethesda. And the game has a lower score than it deserves but come on people, how can you NOT see where the CoD and Halo comparisons are coming from? It's not that the multiplayer is bad, it's that it could have been so much more. Could have been different. They are copying so much. That isn't good for longevity. How will this stand out?

Will I still buy the game? Yes. Am I looking forward to single player/snap map? Absolutely. But I've played CoD and Halo and I fail to see where the differences lie in the multiplayer mechanics. Am I missing something? (No regenerating health/ADS, big whoop.)

HellVain said:

another post by Technician....

Now we only need TheGamePhilosophe and we´re gold XD

RUSH said:

how can you NOT see the CoD comparisons

the game doesn't even begin look or play like a CoD ripoff at any point whatsoever

am I being trolled

RUSH said:

it could have been so much more.

ahahahaha god

tell me more about those rocket jumping, straferunning and bunnyhopping mutators that ID plans to put in the game while you're at it and come back to me with a straight face to tell me that they ''could have done so much better'' will ya lad

This game sucks because it's not Bubble Bobble. Where's the fucking bubbles? You had 20 years, id, 20 years of us expecting you to one-up Bubble Bobble with a true arena bubble game, but you've failed us. This game just borrows from popular casual trash like Powerslave and Sonic The Hedgehog with its jumping and powerups. Fuck you id, fuck you.

RUSH said:

Will I still buy the game? Yes. Am I looking forward to single player/snap map? Absolutely. But I've played CoD and Halo and I fail to see where the differences lie in the multiplayer mechanics. Am I missing something?

Quite a bit If I may interject, in call of duty it boils down to who sees who first. I'll admit it is very similar to halo, but defenetly not the same. As halo is a power shooter, I still see this doom as an arena shooter. Doom16 is faster then halo and no sprinting (when looking at the specifics it means you can be more aggressive in doom and not punished so harshly) the weapon range in doom is quit mixed up compaired to bungies weapon formula, this will bring differences in pacing and playstyles.(edit) I honestly feel gears of war is more like halo gameplay wise then the new doom is, but not by much.

Piper Maru said:

Is this the end of Doom as we know it? Stay tuned.

Will Doom face all the odds and actually not fail?
Will the steam reviews get better?
Will Krillin survive?
Stay tune Next time on Doomworld Z

It's quite okay, not anything extraordinary, but definitely not horrible like the Steam community makes it out to be.
The gaming community is generally toxic, and a lot of those reviews are blown out of proportion. One guy said "the graphics look like something out of 2005"... are you blind?!

STEAM REVIEW
Buddyguy69
play time: 0.1 hours
reviews: 1
"WHAT IS THIS? HALO?"
1,000 out of 1,001 people found this review helpful!

My reasons for downvoting the game:

Spoiler

-Constantly killed mid-teleport.

-Killed by guy I just killed with a rocket launcher after he was already dead.
(Not a one-time occurrence; happens all the time.)

-Killed by guy I shot twice point blank with SSG. Got away with 100 health. Wasn't even any health pickups nearby.
(Not a one-time occurrence; happens all the time.)

-Game takes exclusive control of mic and sound, making it extremely difficult to have a voice chat with friends. Half an hour of trial and error. Disabling voice chat in-game and turning off 'allow applications to take exclusive control of this device' in Windows does not work. Had to change inputs, go back to correct ones, re-select devices in Skype, disable then re-enable speakers in playback devices and hope it works.

-Tends to CTD a random person when in a party, making the others have to back out of the game and go back to the main menu and reinvite them. At one point this happened five times in a row, to different people each time.

-Launches to wrong monitor when you have a multiple-monitor setup. Changing it in video settings works, but after next launch of the game it's back to using the wrong one again despite being marked as the correct one in settings. Also screws with resolution of other monitors.

-People spamming vortex rifle.

-Demon and gauss cannon spam.

-Game tends to connect you to servers with rubbish ping. No server browsers so you can find a server with low latency; all automatic.

Most of the time my deaths seemed to be the game's fault and not my own, all because it connects me to a server with crappy ping and there's no server browsers so I can't choose a server with low latency. Also, game was doing pretty much everything in its power to prevent my friends and I playing together. Balance sucks. Vortex rifle and SSG are the only powerful weapons (and subsequently abused), plasma rifle is decent, everything else is pretty much useless and you only use them while closing the distance so you can swap to the SSG.

In its current state it's broken af. Steam reviews are justified.

Makazi said:

My reasons for downvoting the game:

Spoiler

-Constantly killed mid-teleport.

-Killed by guy I just killed with a rocket launcher after he was already dead.
http://puu.sh/ojNQK/259820f790.jpg(Not a one-time occurrence; happens all the time.)

-Killed by guy I shot twice point blank with SSG. Got away with 100 health. Wasn't even any health pickups nearby.
http://puu.sh/ojRvj/fd0be75840.jpg(Not a one-time occurrence; happens all the time.)

-Game takes exclusive control of mic and sound, making it extremely difficult to have a voice chat with friends. Half an hour of trial and error. Disabling voice chat in-game and turning off 'allow applications to take exclusive control of this device' in Windows does not work. Had to change inputs, go back to correct ones, re-select devices in Skype, disable then re-enable speakers in playback devices and hope it works.

-Tends to CTD a random person when in a party, making the others have to back out of the game and go back to the main menu and reinvite them. At one point this happened five times in a row, to different people each time.

-Launches to wrong monitor when you have a multiple-monitor setup. Changing it in video settings works, but after next launch of the game it's back to using the wrong one again despite being marked as the correct one in settings. Also screws with resolution of other monitors.

-People spamming vortex rifle.

-Demon and gauss cannon spam.

-Game tends to connect you to servers with rubbish ping. No server browsers so you can find a server with low latency; all automatic.

Most of the time my deaths seemed to be the game's fault and not my own, all because it connects me to a server with crappy ping and there's no server browsers so I can't choose a server with low latency. Also, game was doing pretty much everything in its power to prevent my friends and I playing together. Balance sucks. Vortex rifle and SSG are the only powerful weapons (and subsequently abused), plasma rifle is decent, everything else is pretty much useless and you only use them while closing the distance so you can swap to the SSG.

In its current state it's broken af. Steam reviews are justified.

you do know that those can be fixed right?
quite easily too by the developers. I mean this is the BETA right?

Makazi said:

Most of the time my deaths seemed to be the game's fault and not my own, all because it connects me to a server with crappy ping and there's no server browsers so I can't choose a server with low latency

I has no server browser? Now that really sucks! I still remember playing CoD MW2, which also had no server browser and it always connect to the worst possible server (it seemed like that). It wss really annoying.

Oh, yeah, also things like host migrations.. they are the worst.

^ I'd like to see more from the campaign as well. I can forgive the generic multiplayer, I think. We will see how it changes.

I can guarantee id and Bethesda are thinking twice now after seeing so many negative reviews. Hopefully they tweak things.

@ Almonds - it is a shame there is no way to permanently mute and ignore all of your worthless comments. You can't even grasp the concept of proper grammar, apparently. Any half baked sentence passing for an argument should at least avoid discrediting itself in the same small puddle of only lowercase letters and missing periods. If anyone is a troll around here it is you.

HellVain said:

you do know that those can be fixed right?
quite easily too by the developers. I mean this is the BETA right?

A beta that's only a month away from release. Are they going to release a server browser? Since it's also designed for consoles, I doubt it. However, a separate application for server browsing such as Doomseeker would be really cool, as lots of my gameplay problems seem to arise from being automatically connected to servers with high ping.

I want this game to succeed, I really do -- but in its current state I'm hesitant to pay full price.

I'd also like to state that when I did get connected to servers with good ping, it was a blast. I enjoyed the speed, I enjoyed the feel of the weapons, glory killing people is super fun, customization is fairly limited but cool, sound design is okay but nothing really to write home about. Several times I've had people following behind me for ages and they end up killing me because there were hardly any audio cues to inform me that they were there. If a guy in a heavy metallic space-suit is stomping around behind me, I should be able to hear it.

If they had a proper server browser and it didn't auto-connect me to servers with horrible ping, I might be tempted to give it a positive review.

ChekaAgent said:

I has no server browser? Now that really sucks! I still remember playing CoD MW2, which also had no server browser and it always connect to the worst possible server (it seemed like that). It wss really annoying.

Oh, yeah, also things like host migrations.. they are the worst.

Another thing that should be mentioned is that there doesn't seem to be any way to switch teams. Several times I've ended up in matches where the teams were horribly stacked. At one point it was 8v1. Seriously.

With a server browser people would be able to look and see "Oh, there's a bunch of open slots; oh, and look! That guy's team is stacked. If I join I can help him out!"

Browsers are also super useful for reconnecting to sessions you got kicked out of due to a crash or whatever. None of this party/matchmaking nonsense.

Hofmann said:

Yes I understand the concept you fucking idiot

Hofmann said:

I'm getting a really artistic feel from the lightning gun in the water.

That's bullshit, that weapon placement has nothing to do with fitting the "art style" of the area, that's obviously there to create a dangerous situation for the players because the lighting gun instantly kills every player that is in the water if you fire the weapon while being in the water and there's a pentagram of protection directly connected to that area that you can use in that area to avoid committing suicide, which is a basic strategy for that weapon. You are not so bright are you? No point in discussing with a stubborn retard like you.

RUSH said:

obligatory 'u no write gud' angry posting

so I take it now you're not even gonna bother paying attention to what I said back there, where I basically confirmed straferunning, bunnyhopping and rjumping as actual features in the game

or are you going to keep being pissy over some random gamejourno articles to not even pay attention to the better points the game has to offer, and choose to dismiss the entire thing at once instead?