Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sheridan

DOOM is getting ripped and torn by negative Steam reviews

Even on Beta's steam forum you can see large threads that call for the removal of Steam's current user review system. That should tell just how bad said system has gotten.

DooM_RO said:

We can make it ourselves in Snapmap.

But we still don't know if the 4 player limit is in effect regarding multiplayer mods.

Then again...the 4 player limit would actually be 100% true to the original :)

Krimson Madness said:

People are spoiled, every game is not good enough anymore even old school games gets bashed these days.

Pretty much. Gaming community, especially on PC, is the worst it ever was.

Opinions are like assholes.....

The Internet is full of entitled, opinionated assholes who think their voice matters (or matters in numbers [pro-tip: it doesn't]). I, myself, am one of those assholes just for sitting here partaking in it (as this is my opinion). And if you reply to this to argue, well, that makes you an assholes, too ;)

Remember that south park episode about the yelp critics and "yelper special"?? That's about the same respect I have for steam reviewers and meta critic folk... boogers & cum.

I just wanted to point out a correlation with classic beloved franchise reboots and the heavy mocking of the modern crowd. I call it Star Wars Syndrome.

While I understand reboots have become a dirty word when you would expect it to be a good thing (similar to the concept of DLC) but that's because of how many have been poorly made and rushed for a quick dollar. But this upcoming Doom is really showing itself to provide long forgotten classic fun with modern adjustments to only be treated far more harshly than a lesser game would. Much like the latest addition to Star Wars in the movie world, hence "Star Wars Syndrome".

The game will come out despite what the public says, I will play it and love it and continue to live the Doom spirit much like many of us in Doom World today. The irrational masses will then move on to hate the next big thing and we no longer have to hear them whine. Just wait it out.

tuo said:

But we still don't know if the 4 player limit is in effect regarding multiplayer mods.

Then again...the 4 player limit would actually be 100% true to the original :)

Isn't that only for Coop?

Chezza said:

While I understand reboots have become a dirty word when you would expect it to be a good thing (similar to the concept of DLC) but that's because of how many have been poorly made and rushed for a quick dollar. But this upcoming Doom is really showing itself to provide long forgotten classic fun with modern adjustments to only be treated far more harshly than a lesser game would. Much like the latest addition to Star Wars in the movie world, hence "Star Wars Syndrome".

Yeah, but for the most part TFA was critically and publically praised, constantly setting records to this day. The Doom beta isn't a great game being "roasted" because of a few retards, but because the game just isn't anything special. TFA is one of the biggest successes in movie history, rendering your point moot. Also, TFA looked, felt and behaved like a Star Wars movie. The Open Beta does not resemble Doom very much. The Single Player may be a different story though.

Chezza said:

I just wanted to point out a correlation with classic beloved franchise reboots and the heavy mocking of the modern crowd. I call it Star Wars Syndrome.

The game will come out despite what the public says, I will play it and love it and continue to live the Doom spirit much like many of us in Doom World today. The irrational masses will then move on to hate the next big thing and we no longer have to hear them whine. Just wait it out.

I noticed something similar that seems to be the standard for every sequel of reboot of some classic, long running franchise. Latest release will always be treated as the worst one by particularly vocal experts. I guess that more can be written on why people thing that negativity is the best way to look knowledgeable or cool, or why others keep falling for it.

In any case, we and most actual buyers might like it, and game might receive stellar reviews (I have no doubt that it will), but this beta and, more specifically, the following user review abuse will certainly damage the sales of final game.
I guess that you can say how this open beta was tactical mistake on Bethesda's part. Given its availability, there was no hope that honest opinions might outweigh perpetual haters.

Xerge said:

That's bullshit, that weapon placement has nothing to do with fitting the "art style" of the area, that's obviously there to create a dangerous situation for the players because the lighting gun instantly kills every player that is in the water if you fire the weapon while being in the water and there's a pentagram of protection directly connected to that area that you can use in that area to avoid committing suicide, which is a basic strategy for that weapon.

Ok I didn't know the lightning gun can do that, it's obviously a special weapon in a special place. And the nailgun is in the stairway area, why? You're right, I think it has nothing to do with anything, and you are too biased to understand that you can place any weapon anywhere and make some sort of strategical advantage out of it, when in fact it's just a weapon in a room. Why do Q3 Arena maps have different weapon placements for different game modes? I'll tell you why, it's because the maps weren't designed for a specific item placement, and if you try to rearrange them as YOU SEE fit you can get a weapon placement that "fits the environment" as well or even better, whatever "fits the environment" means to you. Therefore maps that are designed before deciding which item goes where can be perfect for both weapon pickups and loadouts, i.e. it doesn't have to be different for weapon pickups. QED

I understand that you don't like loadouts, but stop trying to discriminate loadouts just because you don't like them, when level design has nothing to do with them.
(Hey there little loadout, was this asshole picking on you? Don't worry he won't be bothering you again.)

Xerge said:

You are not so bright are you? No point in discussing with a stubborn retard like you.

Oh the fucking irony again.

Makazi said:

Another thing that should be mentioned is that there doesn't seem to be any way to switch teams. Several times I've ended up in matches where the teams were horribly stacked. At one point it was 8v1. Seriously.
http://puu.sh/ojO6o/185eec83eb.jpg

With a server browser people would be able to look and see "Oh, there's a bunch of open slots; oh, and look! That guy's team is stacked. If I join I can help him out!"

Browsers are also super useful for reconnecting to sessions you got kicked out of due to a crash or whatever. None of this party/matchmaking nonsense.

I feared this would happen, seeing as nowadays most games now rely on matchmaking/party, it leads to unbalanced teams and such.

It's disheartening to see retarded posts get nicely rebutted, only for the rebuttal to be ignored by a subsequent poster who agrees whole-heartedly with the original retarded post. Almost like people are emotionally invested in this or something!

DMGUYDZ64 said:

At least this is beta, imagine if they release the Full product and make the same mistakes .

Okay, and I have to stop you there because as a developer, this really annoys me. I've explained this several times before, but Beta means they're not gonna change anything notable before release. At this point the game is in feature freeze and the game that comes out next month will be all but identical to the game that you're playing right now (save perhaps for some day 1 bugfixes that they release to the public).

Let me repeat that so there's no confusion. By the time a game is BETA, it is basically done and the people who made it are not interested in adding any new stuff before it comes out! If they were, the game would be considered a pre-alpha or alpha release at the latest. Any games you think of that don't follow this mold (eg Minecraft) don't follow it because their developers understand the distinction between "alpha" and "beta" only as badly as you do.

Sorry I had to momentarily derail the thread to make that rant. I'm finished now.

hardcore_gamer said:

Jesus christ. Now some people are saying Doom 3 was faster than this game and that it's multiplayer was better.

Im guessing that, in minds of some of those people, Doom 3 is old enough to reach the status of "beloved classic from good old times", and thus becomes immune to reproach and undoubtedly superior to new game.

So basically it's like Zelda games. Every new one is scorched mercilessly until a new one comes out and then it was suddenly the best thing ever and how dare you deviate from it. Fanbases are notoriously hard to please.

sheridan said:

Relevant 4chan post:

Spoiler

[nah

Yup, that sums up how the fanbases of long running and well-known franchises "work". (and it's funny, if slightly racist)

sheridan said:

Okay, and I have to stop you there because as a developer, this really annoys me. I've explained this several times before, but Beta means they're not gonna change anything notable before release. At this point the game is in feature freeze and the game that comes out next month will be all but identical to the game that you're playing right now (save perhaps for some day 1 bugfixes that they release to the public).

Let me repeat that so there's no confusion. By the time a game is BETA, it is basically done and the people who made it are not interested in adding any new stuff before it comes out! If they were, the game would be considered a pre-alpha or alpha release at the latest. Any games you think of that don't follow this mold (eg Minecraft) don't follow it because their developers understand the distinction between "alpha" and "beta" only as badly as you do.

Sorry I had to momentarily derail the thread to make that rant. I'm finished now.

I wish I could post this in neon at the top of the forum.

AirRaid said:

I wish I could post this in neon at the top of the forum.

Do it. I said the same couple of times, but people tend to ignore it.

I still hope they fix the very apparent issues from both the closed and open (because most haven't been fixed) beta before launch.

I look at the bright side. NOW they have to get back to provide us with singleplayer stuff, as the multiplayer side of the game seems to be tainted at the moment.

Just to be clear
these reviews are from Steam ONLY right?
What do they even want?

AirRaid, do it in big red letters, in a new thread, that's stickied.

Voros said:

Just to be clear
these reviews are from Steam ONLY right?
What do they even want?

AirRaid, do it in big red letters, in a new thread, that's stickied.

Yeah, Steam platform only (no Metacritic etc.). It can be quite toxic, and if something popular does not get the reviews people expected, it oftens happens that people jump on the bandwaggon and downvote it. The problem is, that you cannot disable reviews, even for early access/WIP titles. That's something many developers critize. The pendulum often swings both ways...if something - esp. an Indi-title - gets positive reviews, they suddenly explode into "best game evaaaar". I seldom see something in between for longer than a couple of days.

It still might hurt Doom, especially since id's marketing pushed the multiplayer so extensively the last couple of weeks. This might have backfired, or better said: the whole open beta might have backfired on them.

Let's see how good damage control is (if they see this review bombing as a fiasco). Sadly, couple of gaming sites also posted neutral/negative impressions about the closed beta, so to someone who is no Doom fan and looks at it from a neutral point, it might give him some doubts.

It reminds me a little bit of the Star Wars: Battlefront beta, which also got lukewarm reception in the gaming media and amongst testers, but still released quite strongly (and then faced other problems regarding pre-order DLCs, user base segregation etc.).

Buckshot said:

Opinions are like assholes.....
Remember that south park episode about the yelp critics and "yelper special"?? That's about the same respect I have for steam reviewers and meta critic folk... boogers & cum.

Haha nicely done. I wish people would think for themselves. Sad times we live in (not that this is some sort of new age epidemic, but still). Too bad, because the internet could be something much better without all the bandwagoneers making up the majority of reviewers and game and movie 'journalists'.

hardcore_gamer said:

Jesus christ. Now some people are saying Doom 3 was faster than this game and that it's multiplayer was better.

doom 3 mp was ass and we all know it. doom 16 is fun, and a nice medium between old-school purity arena shootems and modern design choices.

Clonehunter said:

Doom 3 had no multiplayer. It didn't.

It has... But no one played.

I'm not big fan of Multiplayer gaming and have not so much info but after reading a few russian reviews i think i understand a problems here:
-Only two weapons you can carry on. You can't even pick up someone else weapon. (except gauss)
-Rocketlauncher is ridiculous weak.
-Fighting between colorful clowns, not against brutal soldiers.
-No rocketjumps
-Gauss weapon is overpowered

I'm not so conservative and i can accept some idea, but not in this case. I love diversity, as in Quake 3 where you can take BFG and became real killer.
Limitation of weaponry reminds me the game 'Evolve' with such stupid upgrading a player and boring gameplay.
Seems like Doom is bad in Multiplayer and no one will care about it after release more than 3 months so I hope that single player will be better.