Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sheridan

DOOM is getting ripped and torn by negative Steam reviews

If id does screw up release, I'm done with future products and will just go back to the other 3 previous games.

Clonehunter said:

No. It does not.

"Knowing your own ignorance is the first step to enlightenment"

:D :D :D

What if what we're seeing now is casual matchmaking, to ease players into doom and give them a place to grow, while we'll see more complex gameplay as almonds has said in "hardcore" matches, I think this would be a good way to allow new players to get into the multiplayer aspects of what could be a skilled game without getting wrecked and instantly turned off of the said mp? Now that I think about it I'll be suprised if this is what they're not doing.

I sort of thought the gameplay in the beta wasn't nearly anywhere as bad as they seem to make you want to believe. It may not be the most amazing thing ever or something that new, but what would really be that new at this point for the mp portion of a game?

The issues of the audio and latency/audio/no autobalance/damage going unnoticed are rather valid complaints. Latency wise, most of the matches I have been in have been fine, but I have seen the issues that others have talked about happening (shots are inconsistent, getting killed by someone after you kill them, etc). I actually don't think I saw the no autobalance thing at all during the closed beta (or at least people seemed to fill in those spots fast enough that you didn't notice them), but I have seen it a fair amount of times when one team was stacked against another in the open beta (with no one really joining in to fill that team back up). I am unsure if some of these are them just using limited amounts of servers or the like, or how limited the beta was, but they do need to be fixed for the mp portion of the game to play better.

The audio issues though I don't really know. I think I hear footsteps and the like every now and then, but it seems rather inconsistent.

Have to fully agree on the damage notification though, that little arrow pointing where the damage is coming from doesn't really help or mix well with how the audio seems off.

This comment from other thread is very much relevant for this one:

hardcore_gamer said:

Game is going much better on PS4.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/doom-open-beta/cid=UP1003-CUSA00699_00-DOOMBETA00000001

over 7k ratings and 5 out of 5 stars. Could not find the xbox version.

Beta has received overwhelmingly positive response on PS4, and from bigger number of players. Make of that what you will.

HavoX said:

It should be noted however that the game is still in development, and the open beta is not likely to be the same as the final version.

The official release is in less than a month. How much more editing can they do to fix the flaws mentioned in the Steam reviews? If the new Doom has bad gameplay mechanics, it's probably going to need more than a month of revisions IMO.

Also if this game really is a generic Halo rip off, then I'm not wasting my money on this unoriginal crap.

Piper Maru said:

Watch, after all this negative feedback they're going to cancel Doom in the last minute and revive the previously canned Call of Doom.

While I would hate if they did that, it would be funny to see what the people think of Call of Doom.

even with all the hate it gets I'll still play it, although i don't think 20 years from now there will be user mods/levels for it, unlike the original doom

I think it will do fine and most the negative reviews are just shit heads jumping on some sort of party train. Now I do have issues with the game, like proper dedicated servers so players ping under god damn 100 consistently which I think would fix things like players dying to others after they've killed them, glory kills from large distances etc. Can't believe rockets still do next to zero self damage though.

Glaice said:

If id does screw up release, I'm done with future products and will just go back to the other 3 previous games.

Are you sure you'll wanna stick to this? What if they make one you really like 11 years from now?

PsychoGoatee said:

Are you sure you'll wanna stick to this? What if they make one you really like 11 years from now?

They won't last for 11 more years.

AnonimVio said:

They won't last for 11 more years.

id software is currently owned by a pretty successful big company Bethesda that seems to like them, if anything they're in less danger than ever.

DemonSphere said:

I think it will do fine and most the negative reviews are just shit heads jumping on some sort of party train. Now I do have issues with the game, like proper dedicated servers so players ping under god damn 100 consistently which I think would fix things like players dying to others after they've killed them, glory kills from large distances etc. Can't believe rockets still do next to zero self damage though.

I agree on the high ping. I've noticed that the weapons/mantling is way more reliable and consistent when the ping stays stable.

During one match it had switched to like 300ish ping for everyone even though we had below 100 in the match before. Was getting bouts of lagging behind when using the teleport grenade, getting glory killed from outside of glory kill range, shooting at near point blank range with the SSG and doing minimal damage (or at least inconsistent enough that it felt like I wasn't able to do anything to them).

Shaviro said:

Yeah, but for the most part TFA was critically and publically praised, constantly setting records to this day. The Doom beta isn't a great game being "roasted" because of a few retards, but because the game just isn't anything special. TFA is one of the biggest successes in movie history, rendering your point moot. Also, TFA looked, felt and behaved like a Star Wars movie. The Open Beta does not resemble Doom very much. The Single Player may be a different story though.

TFA isn't special either. Too many 5/5 stars reviews for an average action flick.

PsychoGoatee said:

id software is currently owned by a pretty successful big company Bethesda that seems to like them, if anything they're in less danger than ever.

Less danger than ever of running out of money, maybe, but of being folded or seriously restructured? Not so much. Bethesda could still kill the games side of id and turn them into a purely technology focused studio if they wanted to. Though that would arguably be a little silly now that id's poster child of technology, John Carmack, left id 3 years ago.

PsychoGoatee said:

Maybe, if Bethesda and Zenimax doesn't screw them over. Very situational "IF".

DemonSphere said:

The servers are already dedicated for the purposes of the beta (listen/private servers don't seem to be used under any circumstances?) and one would assume that the beta test is for finding out how much infrastructure they need and where. The issue is there only seems to either be one set of servers in a single location, or multiple locations but the priorities in matchmaking are wonky.

From some visual observations, the following happens:

• It seems that getting glory killed is usually based on your local location and timing, not the instigators. As your local location isn't corrected for this, if a glory kill occurs late on your end it can throw off the animation timing substantially. It otherwise seems to always work properly for the instigator though (although all that will be local triggers and animation anyway).
  • It does seem possible to mutually kill each-other with hitscan weapons (assuming they are actually hitscan and thus no travel time, which would also explain it). Latency correction may also be trying to account for this and allow for mutual kills but latency correction isn't playing back as expected on the client. There is actually latency correction at least otherwise it'd be harder to hit with the SSG for sure.
  • Kill tracking seems imperfect (or I'm just looking at the wrong circumstances) and might be attributing some kills to the wrong cause but the right person. Killing yourself with a grenade will grant the kill to the person you were "in combat" with at the time, along with other environmental kills.
A lot of this will be easier to identify and test once private servers are made available with the full game.

First Impressions of Beta:

I just got done playing a couple team deathmatch rounds on my brother's xbox one. I thought it was pretty fun. It sort of reminds me of AVP (2010) Deathmatch, but better executed for fluidity.The demon transformation part reminds me of when someone chose to play as the Predator in AVP (2010) Deathmatch. Aesthetically, its not earth-shattering, but I can accept it. Players willingly are choosing to create those obnoxious colors for armor and weapons.

So I just played the beta last night. Just some background, I never played Classic Doom MP, just SP, and the only Quake MP I played was Q3A on the Sega Dreamcast at my uncle's house. Anyway, even for somebody like me who didn't play much of Quake or Doom MP, Doom beta surprisingly did feel a little slow and sluggish. I was surprised by how slow the movement felt, and honestly, speeding up the movement could vastly improve the feel of the game.