Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sheridan

DOOM is getting ripped and torn by negative Steam reviews

doom_is_great said:

So I just played the beta last night. Just some background, I never played Classic Doom MP, just SP, and the only Quake MP I played was Q3A on the Sega Dreamcast at my uncle's house. Anyway, even for somebody like me who didn't play much of Quake or Doom MP, Doom beta surprisingly did feel a little slow and sluggish. I was surprised by how slow the movement felt, and honestly, speeding up the movement could vastly improve the feel of the game.

Try increasing the FOV a bit if you haven't already.

People complaining about the slowness of the game really should use the personal teleporter, it makes an absolute world of difference and adds some nuance to the actual shootouts as well. Throw it somewhere as an escape plan, to get behind someone, to get that demon rune/power weapon/armor/etc..., to get back into the fray quickly, very versatile and makes the game a lot more fun, I can't use the grenades anymore.

As for the actual game itself, I think the pacing is alright, vertical movement especially is really good, lots of fun finding places to scale. The base running speed is alright, reminds me of quake II running speed, again, the personal teleporter really helps with the pace of the game.

I have no problem with the loadouts, map control is still important especially with the powerups such as the mega health orb. I think the depth is going to be in weapon switching, finding good combinations, since the delay between firing and switching weapons and firing again is extremely small. Static rifle/shotty is a good example of this. Oh and to the folks who say the SSG damage is too low, you gotta shoot-melee, very quick and will pretty much kill anyone without armor/small amount of armor.

Weapons seem fine for the most part, the only thing I'd change right now is increase the fire rate of the HAR or make it more accurate or something, its good but kinda loses its effectiveness past mid range. I do hope the repeater is in the full game, I liked it a lot in the alpha.

I am kinda iffy about the glory kills in multiplayer right now, aside from the demon, you are completely vulnerable during them and it just doesn't seem worth the risk a lot of times, better to just get a normal melee kill.

Also, the gauss rifle is completely ridiculous as many have said, it's basically 4 free kills, I don't see how you can get any better than hitscan instant kill huge AOE, and able to see through walls. It's probably gonna get nerfed cause the bfg and chainsaw are automatically worse at this point.

All in all I've been having a lot of fun with the beta, and this is only two modes and maps, and not even counting the single player which is going to be stellar I'm sure.

Basically I am sad that instead of id giving what they said to give "arena style combat game", we got just another generic triple a game that goes with the same old modern stuff.

People wanted back to the classics, actual arena shooter like doom has always been (granted not the forefront runner of it). Game that plays different to the modern stuff, because modern is now old, seen and boring. Actual classic stuff is now refreshing since it's been so long since we last had to look up for health, look up for guns, not be able to start with a freakin rocketlauncher.

This is the reason for the negative reviews. People are disappointed that id false advertised and turned Doom, a PC focused franchice into just another generic modern game.

Classic Doom MP wasn't fast-paced like Quake or Unreal. In fact it was more akin to Classic Halo if anything.... kinda slow-paced, you take your time I guess, to plan your next move and think tactically.

One of the reasons Doom is kinda more popular than something like Quake is on MP IMHO, is because Doom requires you to think about what weapon you are going to use, how are you going to go about the level.

Quake on the other hand is fast-paced, you don't have to think all too much, just fire, rocketjump, bunnyhop, that kind of stuff.

Basically Doom is meant for people who like to play tactically whereas Quake is meant for people who like fast-paced stuff.

The people on Steam who are writing negative reviews about the new Doom beta, are going in with the wrong expectations. They are expecting to play Quake or some other arena shooter.

Doom isn't like that. Doom isn't a fast-paced balls to wall game. It's more akin to Halo 1, Halo 2, Halo 3, Marathon, Marathon: Durandal, Marathon: Infinity, something like that.

You know, not really fast-paced, kinda slow, but that gives you time to think, gives you time to plan.

People say the new Doom beta sucks, well they aren't thinking with a 1993 mindset. They aren't thinking like a true Doom fan. They are thinking like a Quake fan or a poser....

Just my two cents though. ^^

DoomzRules said:

Quake on the other hand is fast-paced, you don't have to think all too much, just fire, rocketjump, bunnyhop, that kind of stuff.

Just.. no :/

DoomzRules said:

Doom isn't like that. Doom isn't a fast-paced balls to wall game. It's more akin to Halo 1, Halo 2, Halo 3, Marathon, Marathon: Durandal, Marathon: Infinity, something like that.

Halo? No again.

Doom 2 duel 2011 ZDDL Season 4 Finals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_jM_AADGro

Quake Live duel 2015 QuakeCon Duel Grand Final
https://youtu.be/Rce75JYlJd8?t=110

-and please, listen to the commentator about how strategic the situations actually are. it's not even close to just mindless running around and neither was original doom mp.

My opinion may be a bit unpopular, but I actually prefer a slower approach to things, I greatly enjoyed playing doom dm on some of the classic maps due to this, lots of fun just trying to find the other guy, guessing where he has based on the sounds of certain doors opening, waiting in a certain spot for the right moment to strike. A more hide and seek approach if you will.

It's a reason why I liked half life deathmatch so much, great map design with lots of hiding places.

DoomzRules said:

Classic Doom MP wasn't fast-paced like Quake or Unreal. In fact it was more akin to Classic Halo if anything.... kinda slow-paced, you take your time I guess, to plan your next move and think tactically.

One of the reasons Doom is kinda more popular than something like Quake is on MP IMHO, is because Doom requires you to think about what weapon you are going to use, how are you going to go about the level.

Basically Doom is meant for people who like to play tactically whereas Quake is meant for people who like fast-paced stuff.

The people on Steam who are writing negative reviews about the new Doom beta, are going in with the wrong expectations. They are expecting to play Quake or some other arena shooter.

You know, not really fast-paced, kinda slow, but that gives you time to think, gives you time to plan.

People say the new Doom beta sucks, well they aren't thinking with a 1993 mindset. They aren't thinking like a true Doom fan. They are thinking like a Quake fan or a poser....

Just my two cents though. ^^

WOW this is biggest bullshit ive read in while, you must be new or really bad at both quake/doom. You have no idea what you are talking about brah.

capodecima said:

WOW this is biggest bullshit ive read in while, you must be new or really bad at both quake/doom. You have no idea what you are talking about brah.

New? Bad at Quake or Doom? Nonsense. I'm 16, and I've been on this forum since I was 11.

I've played both Doom and Quake as long as I can remember. I never really got into the Multiplayer since it never really worked for me.

But to be honest, I always found Doom to be slower than Quake.

Is that an unpopular opinion? Yes. Yes it is.

But is it the truth? Yes. Again yes it is. If you are playing VANILLA Doom multiplayer, with no looking up and down, no crouching, no jumping, really old-school, it's a heck of a lot more slower than Quake.

@quakke I also compared it to Marathon.... not just Halo you know.... and I see it's not just mindless running around. I didn't say that. And if I did, I meant to say that Doom is just slower in pace and isn't as fast-paced.

It never was as fast-paced as Quake or Unreal in terms of MP. To think so is to just delude yourself with rose-tinted nostalgia bullshit glasses.

DoomzRules said:

New? Bad at Quake or Doom? Nonsense. I'm 16, and I've been on this forum since I was 11.

I've played both Doom and Quake as long as I can remember. I never really got into the Multiplayer since it never really worked for me.

But to be honest, I always found Doom to be slower than Quake.

Is that an unpopular opinion? Yes. Yes it is.

But is it the truth? Yes. Again yes it is. If you are playing VANILLA Doom multiplayer, with no looking up and down, no crouching, no jumping, really old-school, it's a heck of a lot more slower than Quake.

@quakke I also compared it to Marathon.... not just Halo you know.... and I see it's not just mindless running around. I didn't say that. And if I did, I meant to say that Doom is just slower in pace and isn't as fast-paced.

It never was as fast-paced as Quake or Unreal in terms of MP. To think so is to just delude yourself with rose-tinted nostalgia bullshit glasses.

Dude, you were born in 2000, bruh! (not trying to discredit you)

This may not be possible, and it may be really fuckin stupid, but wouldn't it be really cool if some people from iD came down to doom world and did an AMA of sorts to answer a whole bunch of out questions? Maybe share some things about single player too

BluePineapple72 said:

This may not be possible, and it may be really fuckin stupid, but wouldn't it be really cool if some people from iD came down to doom world and did an AMA of sorts to answer a whole bunch of out questions? Maybe share some things about single player too

I think at this point it would be a good idea for them to clear the air on some of this.

TheWizard said:

Dude, you were born in 2000, bruh! (not trying to discredit you)

And? I've always played retro FPS games and I don't really care for modern FPS games except for the Classic Halo, Destiny (well I kinda sorta like the raids....), and Black Mesa (oh and possibly Serious Sam...)

Anyway, I remember when I first played Doom Shareware at the age of four.... it was so fun! =D

Still play Doom to this day.

I just hope we get to revisit Phobos and Deimos in the single-player portion! =3

Haven't installed/played it, but been watching a bunch of streams of gameplay.

Multiplayer looks unimaginative and generic. If it's the seller point of this game I expect bad fortune for them on release.

I'll be waiting with curiosity to see if single player is any good

eargosedown said:

Multiplayer looks unimaginative and generic. If it's the seller point of this game I expect bad fortune for them on release.

Can you explain, since you haven't played?

Shaviro said:

Also, TFA looked, felt and behaved like a Star Wars movie. The Open Beta does not resemble Doom very much.

TFA felt and behaved like a star wars movie because it was exactly like a new hope recycled over again. Of course the new Doom wont resemble the originals that much because the beta is multiplayer only and the originals weren't ever focused on multiplayer. Its not going to feel the same as the first time you booted up Doom and we know that, so its not much surprise that people are going to criticize it for not mirroring the original doom.

TheMightyHeracross said:

Can you explain, since you haven't played?

Movement looks slow paced. Most of the movement is vertical which is sort of Tribes esq I suppose? Seems like typical jetpack mode that has been seeing a popular trend.

Powerups/'monster' mode is pretty silly and a snowballer for teams if nothing else. I don't quite understand the theme behind become a walking laser beam through the other team. Doesn't seem to really work with the small maps either.

Weapons look very generic, "spacey" and "futuristic" but as a result bland and not very distinct between each other. Rocket doesn't seem to have much "oomf" to it. Limited weapon loadout seems to restrict options and quick game decisions.

Environments seem overly polished/plastic-look that super-bloom seems to give things. Not very impressed with the way environment/characters look.

It just looks like a pretty standard space themed modern shooter and the MP i've seen alone is not enough to justify a purchase from me.

The revenant is fine, if the team works together to bring him down he goes down rather quickly, getting the height advantage on him is crucial as he has a lot harder time firing up at people. The gauss cannon also tends to spawn at around the same time the demon rune does, so gaining control of that makes it much easier as well. The revenant only seems op right now cause there is no coordination.

Doominator2 said:

Of course the new Doom wont resemble the originals that much because the beta is multiplayer only and the originals weren't ever focused on multiplayer.

Right. Keep the excuses coming. The original games had plenty of great multiplayer facets to extrapolate on. Either way, a new Doom game doesn't necessarily have to resemble the games 100% as I've been proposing for years on this very forum. The problem with the beta is that it's caught between two (or more chairs) in a pretty unhappy marriage where it's not really an arena shooter, it's not like the classic games (even though they're trying so hard to sell the entire game as just that) and the aspects they have incorporated from newer titles don't really contribute to a coherent direction. It's not a *BAD* game, but it's not very good either. It's still fixable through hefty patches post-release and definitely isn't a lost cause yet, but it's really entertaining to watch the extreme apologist behavior going on here. At 15 I'm sure I would have been part of the circlejerk, but life is too short for make-believe.

I still have hopes for the Single Player campaign, but I must admit that the way they've ignored the campaign for so long is starting to worry me a bit.

DoomzRules said:

I also compared it to Marathon.... not just Halo you know.... and I see it's not just mindless running around. I didn't say that. And if I did, I meant to say that Doom is just slower in pace and isn't as fast-paced.

I just showed you video proof how competitive Classic Doom mp is quite on the level of pace as competitive Quake mp.

DoomzRules said:

UT is actually alot slower than Quake and DOOM.

DoomzRules said:

To think so is to just delude yourself with rose-tinted nostalgia bullshit glasses.

This will lead you absolutely nowhere and is quaranteened way of garnering hate.

You just said you were born -2000 and now you're claiming UT is as fast as Quake and Doom. Just moment ago you were saying Doom is as slow as Halo.

Dude just stop. You don't know at all what you are talking about.

eargosedown said:

Movement looks slow paced. Most of the movement is vertical which is sort of Tribes esq I suppose? Seems like typical jetpack mode that has been seeing a popular trend.

Powerups/'monster' mode is pretty silly and a snowballer for teams if nothing else. I don't quite understand the theme behind become a walking laser beam through the other team. Doesn't seem to really work with the small maps either.

-Movement is pretty fast. About halfway between walking and running in classic Doom. Also, if you watched with lower FOV, it will make the game appear slower.

-You may see it as a snowballer, but it can also be used easily by the losing team to gain the upper-hand. Revenants, Quad Damage, Haste, and Gauss can cause comebacks.

The rest is all looks, so I can't really comment on that, but I can tell you that the gameplay is fun and not generic at all.

quakke said:

I just showed you video proof how competitive Classic Doom mp is quite on the level of pace as competitive Quake mp.

UT is actually alot slower than Quake and DOOM.

This will lead you absolutely nowhere and is quaranteened way of garnering hate.

You just said you were born -2000 and now you're claiming UT is as fast as Quake and Doom. Just moment ago you were saying Doom is as slow as Halo.

Dude just stop. You don't know at all what you are talking about.

Really? I don't know what I'm talking about.... right.... that's why all of the gaming media publications and a lot of people on here keep reminding you and all the other MLG people, that Doom isn't Quake or Unreal.

Quake and Unreal are fast.

Doom isn't as fast-paced. Never really was.

Doom 3 wasn't fast-paced. Nor was Classic Doom.

But to be honest.... I don't really care if the new Doom is fast-paced or slow-paced. If it's MLG content or if it's just regular...

As long as I get to play the new Doom and I can honestly enjoy it... I'll be happy.

And does it really matter if I was born in 2000? So? I'm 16 and I grew up with the Doom franchise and I still play Doom to this day on Zandronum, ZDoom, GZDoom, and Doom Retro. Problem?

I don't really care for COD to be honest.... it's kinda meh. The first one was good. But after the first one.... eh? Why did they decide to do regenerating health? Medikits made more sense to me IMHO. It made you feel more pressured.... and why couldn't you carry one of each weapon? That would just be so much more nicer than only carrying two weapons.....

But I digress.

=P

Anyway, I'm not trying to hate on you or anyone.... I just kinda feel that the new Doom isn't really fast or slow. It's kinda medium speed. I don't exactly know what FPS would be medium speed though.... something in the middle ya know?

Shaviro said:

Right. Keep the excuses coming. The original games had plenty of great multiplayer facets to extrapolate on. Either way, a new Doom game doesn't necessarily have to resemble the games 100% as I've been proposing for years on this very forum. The problem with the beta is that it's caught between two (or more chairs) in a pretty unhappy marriage where it's not really an arena shooter, it's not like the classic games (even though they're trying so hard to sell the entire game as just that) and the aspects they have incorporated from newer titles don't really contribute to a coherent direction. It's not a *BAD* game, but it's not very good either. It's still fixable through hefty patches post-release and definitely isn't a lost cause yet, but it's really entertaining to watch the extreme apologist behavior going on here. At 15 I'm sure I would have been part of the circlejerk, but life is too short for make-believe.

I still have hopes for the Single Player campaign, but I must admit that the way they've ignored the campaign for so long is starting to worry me a bit.

I do agree that Doom isn't as good as it could be, but is it really like COD like a majority of the reviews claim it to be? The skill ceiling for this reboot is very low compared to other classic FPS games thats true but I really dont believe that it deserves these extremely negative reviews.

Going by the Steam reviews, they are not really all that negative. You have to keep in mind that the rating is either "Would recommend" or "Would not recommend". Were I to write a review at this time I too would rate it "Would not recommend". Not because I hate the game, but because it doesn't seem all that interesting to me. Apparently the majority feels like this. There are truckloads of perfectly fair articles and reviews out there with great points on why they find the game lacklustre.

Personally I think a *lot* could be done simply by upping the speed (the actual speed, not just the perceived speed) as well as beefing up the weapons. As for the load-outs, I would appreciate them more if the game mode was more accommodating to that kind of play. That sort of things just works better when the game is mission objective based and you have to strategize before hand.

I really do hope some of the other game modes are more interesting, come launch :)

May be why the load outs feel off to me. I think out of the game modes shown in the beta, the warpath one is the more interesting one.