Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sheridan

DOOM is getting ripped and torn by negative Steam reviews

The goal ID wanted to achieve is in their own words "to capture the feeling of the original games". Maybe they've accomplished that with SP because that's what they've been working on, I just wonder if that has also been the goal of CA, by the look of it and judging by the reviews it isn't, so you pretty much have two different games in one, both trying to be different things.

DoomzRules said:

Really? I don't know what I'm talking about.... right.... that's why all of the gaming media publications and a lot of people on here keep reminding you and all the other MLG people, that Doom isn't Quake or Unreal.

Wth is this supposed to mean? It's not even anything to do with the subject.

DoomzRules said:

Quake and Unreal are fast.

Doom isn't as fast-paced. Never really was.

Play them, like for real.. UT has nothing on the movement-side of gameplay compared to what Doom and Quake has. Doom has extremely fast default speed which combined with straferunning, becomes really fast. Quake has strafejumping and it combined with rocketjumping means Speed 700+ups. UT has dodging and that's it.

DoomzRules said:

Doom 3 wasn't fast-paced. Nor was Classic Doom.

Extremely delusional thinking. Play the game actually.

DoomzRules said:

But to be honest.... I don't really care if the new Doom is fast-paced or slow-paced. If it's MLG content or if it's just regular...

As long as I get to play the new Doom and I can honestly enjoy it... I'll be happy.

Then don't come stating lies as facts, if you don't even have clue of what you are talking about in the first place.

DoomzRules said:

And does it really matter if I was born in 2000? So? I'm 16 and I grew up with the Doom franchise and I still play Doom to this day on Zandronum, ZDoom, GZDoom, and Doom Retro. Problem?

Yes it does, because it means you didn't experience the stuff and your arguments prove that. "Doom is not fastpaced" except it is and you just ignored my video proof of it showing this.

DoomzRules said:

I don't really care for COD to be honest.... it's kinda meh. The first one was good. But after the first one.... eh? Why did they decide to do regenerating health? Medikits made more sense to me IMHO. It made you feel more pressured.... and why couldn't you carry one of each weapon? That would just be so much more nicer than only carrying two weapons.....

Who said anything about CoD in this discussion?

DoomzRules said:

Anyway, I'm not trying to hate on you or anyone....

It never was as fast-paced as Quake or Unreal in terms of MP. To think so is to just delude yourself with rose-tinted nostalgia bullshit glasses.

Pretty strange way of doing that, since you use offensive words combined with false statements.

TheMightyHeracross said:

That review is BS. Pay to win perks? CS:GO pace? HP Regen hack module?

Did he even play?

I wouldn't say it was really that bad compared the other reviews on steam.

TheMightyHeracross said:

LittleBurger:

It wasn't as toxic, no. But it was full of false info.

They need a neutral review option on steam.

LittleBurger said:

They need a neutral review option on steam.

I actually agree with this. However the complete discarding of the steam reviews that is happening on this forum is also rather silly.

redrage said:

I actually agree with this. However the complete discarding of the steam reviews that is happening on this forum is also rather silly.

I'd likely take the reviews at least partially seriously if there were a larger amount of actual reviews for either side.

It isn't at all too different from the original doom's pace you know..

Doom didn't start out as a mouse and keyboard FPS game, it began as a keyboard only game for most people, trust me, go ahead and run the original doom in DOSBox and show me your epicly fast paced maneuvers.

People tend to forget that ZDoom, GZDoom, Zandronum/Skulltag, Odamex, ZDaemon etc, are updated engines of doom, not doom itself.

They are fast paced because of mouse support being added etc. You could move alot more freely like that, and turn much faster so you were able to aim much faster at enemies instead of having to time your turn right by pressing your turnkey on your keyboard.

hate all you want, we can go fire up a duel server on Zandronum/ZDaemon/Odamex I'll gladly accept. Because that is how I love doom as well.

But I grew up with PSX doom and PC's Doom95 port of the collectors edition (I'm currently 21), and I played that with both a gamepad and keyboard but no mouse, and trust me it wasn't as fast paced as any game I've played in Zan/GZD/ZDoom/ZDaemon/Oda.

The new doom's movement is indeed kind of slow, they limited us along with console players, wich is bad because doom started out as a PC game in the first place.

People complaining about having no way to gain speed, like bunnyhopping etc., I'd like it if they added it, sure. But I wouldn't love it, because it's NOT doom. Doom was a game where you made speed by SR50/SR40, or by using the run button/Having always run on. You didn't even have jump in doom, so are you saying they should take jump away from the new doom to make it more like it's original game? No.

They are going in the right direction gameplay wise, except for that godawful vortex rifle, I just cannot come to accept that weapon. But the SSG feels good as a finisher up close after you've pumped someone full of lead from a heavy assault rifle, or plasma rifle.

The lightning gun IMO belongs in quake, not in doom but I liked it.

The rocket launcher though, that one needs a buff. It's splash radius atleast, it doesn't do much if you shoot a wall nearby to yourself, nor does it heavily affect an enemy close to the blast, you need to almost pinpoint your rocket into them.

On a side note, I've never written a review for anything, but I felt like doing so for the new doom, so I've written an entire book here about what I like, and what I think personally.

I hope they keep up what they're doing, albeit they should remove the damn vortex rifle and lightning gun if they wanna make it "DOOM" Because they're quake weapons IMO. (Vortex rifle being the railgun's equivalent.)

Guest MIND

I'm excited about this new game. I don't really care what others think or say about it.

TheMightyHeracross said:

It blows my mind how anyone finds the gameplay remotely similar to Halo.

as someone who's played thousands of hours into the halo games I will admit It feel's quite halo'y. It's just the way the movement feels and the way the players look. Also it's got simieler kill times as to halo 3(on the lower end it takes a few seconds and alot can happen, and on the higher end your dead pretty quick.) of course the spacial reasoning of bungies guns vs New Dooms does make a differrence. Honestly everything about this Doom is what I wish we had gotten for halo 4.

The loadouts don't bother me. Not even a little. Starting with (some) weapons narrows the item control game down to the big powerups and eliminates weapon starvation in TDM. It makes it easier to control a map, maybe, but that's really not something casual players (read: practically everyone) should be complaining about. Furthermore, the default TDM mode (which is all the beta is, plus Warpath) is basically just Clan Arena, only not round-based. CA is the ultimate casual arena FPS multiplayer experience, so I think they more or less captured a similar feel for the masses of casual players. I think it's fun as fuck, and I've historically been kind of a purist when it comes to DOOM deathmatch. I'm assuming there's a duel mode where loadouts aren't a thing, and even if there's not, it can be made (and instantly will be) in SnapMap.

I saw a comment in the reddit thread about this where a guy linked a screenshot of the matchmaking lobby and was like "See? It's just a CoD ripoff." Seriously. Yeah let's play the game for five fucking minutes and judge it based off of how its matchmaking lobby looks. Wow, what an informed opinion.

I've seen people complain about the movement. I'm like, bitch, this actually kind of feels like DOOM/DOOM II in a way. You can jump, but running on the ground is pretty fast, and I think it imitates the original game's movement style as well as you could expect in a 3D game, even though obviously straferunning/sr50 aren't here. In addition, I've seen some comments about the "speed of the game" and I'm like, how much fucking faster do you want this to go? You're not rocketblasting yourself off a wall and circlejumping around dm6 like in QuakeWorld, but really, the pace of combat is about as fast as Quake 3, I'd say. I don't think these "speed" critics know what they're talking about, frankly.

People are complaining about customization? Good job, idiots. Are people seriously complaining about this? It's a little annoying to me that you randomly unlock one or two of the thousands of customizations after every match, so it could take a very long time to get exactly what you want, but customization in and of itself is fantastic and I'm thrilled this is in the game. Besides, games need multiple progression hooks. Sorry, they do. I know some players feel like the gameplay on its own should be "fun enough" to keep you hooked for a hundred hours+, and I do agree that it should be pretty damn fun, of course, but we live in a gaming world where we are saturated at an insane level. So many games that come out now are so fucking good, they would have been legendary if they came out 15 years ago. People know how to design games pretty damn well now, so there are way more developers doing it. Because of that, everything feels kind of bland, so we need other systems in place to keep us hooked. This customization system has a long tail and will help keep players that want to unlock aesthetic options hooked for a much longer time than it would have, otherwise. If not, players would just go find another awesome game, because there are thousands today. We're drowning in them.

The final criticism I'll address here is one that I at least partially agree with. People have said the weapons feel too weak. I'll contest that by saying I've had many moments where I went from 100 to 0 (and prosecuted said moments, too) in like two seconds. That said, I'm not sure the spirit of the SSG is really here. Rockets do feel a bit neutered too. I don't know, we might not be used to the balance yet.

I think the weakish feel of many of the weapons is due to the fact that you start out with basically any of them, so they all have to be balanced against each other. I still feel that they are all very good though, for the most part, they all have their strengths and weaknesses, and you can always switch loadouts when you die, in fact it's encouraged.

It's also likely that the fact that having weapons one-shot on their own really takes all meaning out of quad-damage and especially the demon rune. It also makes armor less meaningful, because just a couple shard can let you survive a second direct rocket, which could be enough to win a skirmish.

The rapid-fire weapons do feel kind of weak, but the single-shots feel powerful enough considering you have grenades, quick melee, and neither the fire delay nor switch time is really that long. It promote utilizing all of your options, instead of just going for meatshots.

Arctangent said:

It's also likely that the fact that having weapons one-shot on their own really takes all meaning out of quad-damage and especially the demon rune. It also makes armor less meaningful, because just a couple shard can let you survive a second direct rocket, which could be enough to win a skirmish.

The rapid-fire weapons do feel kind of weak, but the single-shots feel powerful enough considering you have grenades, quick melee, and neither the fire delay nor switch time is really that long. It promote utilizing all of your options, instead of just going for meatshots.

I wish the armor would act more like how it did in classic doom though, instead of just some form of extra health you can used to tank damage you likely wouldn't have been able to.

victorboris1 said:

funny thing: once the Beta ends, all these scatting reviews will be lost, like tears in the rain.

I'm not so sure, at least as far as steam as concerned. Some people there seem to just assume that the SP will be exactly like the beta. Some also think that the mp portion of the game was all id's thing.

I wouldn't doubt that some of the hate will disperse if things shown about the SP are favorable, but there will likely be those that are just going to start up/feed upon hate for it regardless.

LittleBurger said:

I'm not so sure, at least as far as steam as concerned. Some people there seem to just assume that the SP will be exactly like the beta. Some also think that the mp portion of the game was all id's thing.

I wouldn't doubt that some of the hate will disperse if things shown about the SP are favorable, but there will likely be those that are just going to start up/feed upon hate for it regardless.

Yeah, I mean, the hate won't go away. But the reviews themselves won't be carried over from the beta to the final game.

Xerge said:

The goal ID wanted to achieve is in their own words "to capture the feeling of the original games". Maybe they've accomplished that with SP because that's what they've been working on, I just wonder if that has also been the goal of CA, by the look of it and judging by the reviews it isn't, so you pretty much have two different games in one, both trying to be different things.

Judging by other titles it's possible that PC sales won't even reach 1/5 of total sales. If such was predicted by Zenimax's Business Intelligence, then it's likely that CA was chosen to come up with the MP mode thanks to their pedigree of working on successful console multiplayer titles.

Youtube commenters like the new Doom waaayyy more than the Steam reviewers at this point. Looking in the comments, I find about 4/5 guys like it, as opposed to the fake Quake fans on Steam.

"Fake fans?" Hahahaha.

You either like something or you don't. There isn't any big conspiracy going on that aims to tarnish the name of Doom. People just don't like it.

I never said it was some type of sabotage. The idea is this: a bunch of dudes who probably played (or watched) Quake 3 for 20 minutes and think that every arena shooter needs to be "like" Q3. To them, that is bhopping at blinding speed with fisheye FOV, spamming rockets and rails, until you win. And since Doom 16 isn't that, it fails at being an arena shooter and Bethesda/id/Creative Affinity suck at everything ever, and since it's not as fast as oh precious Q3 it is a filthy snail's pace awful garbage console peasant Halo clone. When that shouldn't be the idea in the first place. Hence, fake fan.