Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sheridan

DOOM is getting ripped and torn by negative Steam reviews

The MP is a mixture of Doom, Quake and modern shooters, I don't know if the result is meant to be good, it's ok, but I seriously dislike the loadouts and to think what the game could've been but is not.

Xerge said:

The MP is a mixture of Doom, Quake and modern shooters, I don't know if the result is meant to be good, it's ok, but I seriously dislike the loadouts and to think what the game could've been but is not.

I can only think of this game without loadouts in terms of having only the rocket launcher and the shotgun, and you start with both.

Seriously, I can't imagine this game starting you off not being combat-ready. Having to faff off to some random corner of the map basically makes your respawn time like fifteen seconds longer, and you can be killed again while trying to grab the weapon that's actually worthwhile.

I dunno. Armor, ammo, and health seem to be pretty fine at making sure you're always on the move, and the powerups and super weapons make sure area control is important to dominate your opponents. I don't really see what adding normal weapons to the map would do, besides either making you even more vulnerable to spawn kills if the starting weapon's dinky or making it so that half the players have to wander off somewhere to get their preferred weapon while the other half start off with their's or has it a short distance from their spawn.

Arctangent said:

I don't really see what adding normal weapons to the map would do

Well, the Map design would be affected because they would have to put the weapons designing strategic locations for each weapon, for example putting the rocket launcher in a narrow spot or the vortex rifle in a very wide zone, so if you spawn nearby you can pickup a weapon that is strategically fitting for that location.

So ... basically the maps would stay the same, except weapon usage would have far less thought because the more suited weapon would be right there anyway?

Well, you already have both narrow and wide locations so I don't see how adding all weapons as pickups would alter the current level design. The level design is already varied enough in all aspects.

Arctangent said:

So ... basically the maps would stay the same, except weapon usage would have far less thought because the more suited weapon would be right there anyway?

I don't think the maps would be exactly the same because they haven't been thought and designed for these conditions, because the game features loadouts. And I don't see why placing weapons in different strategic locations means weapon usage would have far less thought at all, I mean you run out of ammo so you have to move to other different locations and pick up other weapons, ammo and health, different locations in which the same weapon isn't always going to be the best option.

Xerge said:

I don't think the maps would be exactly the same because they haven't been thought and designed for these conditions, because the game features loadouts.

Ok, so if every area is suited for the items that it's holding and because certain items should be placed away from each other, like megahealth shouldn't be placed close to red armor, means that certain areas shouldn't be placed close to each other. You're right maps wouldn't be EXACTLY the same but it would still have all the elements, I don't see how loadouts would forbid something to exist (in terms of level design), we still have jump pads, portals, wide/narrow areas, lava, verticality, whatever.... Basically what you are saying is if grandma had a dick she would be a grandpa.

Hofmann said:

Basically what you are saying is if grandma had a dick she would be a grandpa.

Buncha people around here would be particularly insistent that this would be the case, unfortunately.

It's been said, but i'll say it again.
The majority of reviewers have played less than an hour, 2 tops.
And most of the 'reviews' don't mention anything even remotely related
to gameplay. Everything is about personal preference. thats not a review.
It feels like 'whiners-forum' out there. If someone has anything negative
to say, just out it in the shape of a review. Outlets like that lose its
value completely.

I'm an oldschool doomer, but pro change and evolution. I loved the old doom
the way it was, and i believe i will love the new one for how it will be.
True to its Time. as we should be too.

And about snapmap... There was a moment that its limitations would worry me
but as a creative person i know that restrictions push creativity even more.
We will see.

Krimson Madness said:

They're a bunch of haters and Quake fanboys don't bother. How can you review a game that is not out yet?

Well u CAN review whatever there's available, but none one seems to be doing that.
Its just whatever there is on their mind. Seeing the larger picture is hard for
most people.

And i'm also a quake fanboy and i welcome the duality. Its like having doom And
quake in one. and only because of the quad regen and haste. the rest feels doom :)

BluePineapple72 said:

Unless they prove to us that single player and snapmap will be amazing, I'm deeply considering cancelling my preorder

If your not gonna get the game then you're not a DOOM fan sorry.

Why is everyone saying that the multiplayer isn't anything special? If that's the case than the multiplayer of all games aren't anything special. I find the multiplayer special because it was a really long time since i played a multiplayer like this.

I would love for those calling this call of doom to actually (for once) EXPLAIN how this plays anything like COD. Please, explain.

Krimson Madness said:

If you cancel your pre-order and not gonna get the game then you're not a DOOM fan sorry.

I, too, enjoy defining myself through the products I purchase

Krimson Madness said:

Why is everyone saying that the multiplayer isn't anything special?

Yeah it's a true mystery.
Lots of people independently reviewing the multiplayer game as "nothing special". Hmm. Why could that possibly be? It must be an international conspiracy to bring Id Software and true Doom fans down!

Unless...

I noticed that last night too.

It should be noted however that the game is still in development, and the open beta is not likely to be the same as the final version.
Regardless of the mixed reviews, I'm still going to buy Doom (2016), but probably not on day one.

Shaviro said:

Yeah it's a true mystery.
Lots of people independently reviewing the multiplayer game as "nothing special". Hmm. Why could that possibly be? It must be an international conspiracy to bring Id Software and true Doom fans down!

Unless...

Keep your sarcasm to yourself please. Did you read my full reaction?

HavoX said:

I noticed that last night too.

It should be noted however that the game is still in development, and the open beta is not likely to be the same as the final version.
Regardless of the mixed reviews, I'm still going to buy Doom (2016), but probably not on day one.

While that is true of course, time until release is so short we will only see bugfixes and maybe small tuning to the multiplayer. Stuff that doesn't start a new QA cycle.

I am hyped for this game, I have preordered...but I also am not hooked on the MP part, and get bored of it quite soon. So, am I a "bad fanboy"?

The thing is: since a couple of weeks, all that id/Bethesda advertises is the Multiplayer part of this game, and nothing else. They go to great extends to do this. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the last singleplayer marketing action was the Conan O'Brian thing, afterwards it was Multiplayer, Multiplayer, Multiplayer.

Now some people (myself included) and some magazines are of the opinion that what we got to test is not the second coming of multiplayer-jesus. Fair and square.
Others - who might not have followed the development as closely as we did - saw one multiplayer advertisment after another, tested it, and some of them came to the same conclusion (this beeing the internet: they said it's sh**, because...because...internet).

Up until today, I thought it was only me (or a minority) who wasn't completely blown away by Doom 2016 Multiplayer. The current trend shows that other people feel the same.

Regarding the play-time: to be honest, I stopped playing the first alpha after about 30 minutes. Why? Because I had work to do, and it didn't impress me enough to either push work into my weekend or play it during the evening. The beta hooked me a bit more, but not much. Overall I would say that I maybe played six to eight hours max. That is not enough to understand the alpha/beta fully, but if I simply don't enjoy it so much that I would sacrifice my free-time during the evening, why should I?

Steam beeing Steam, I can understand the frustration. Maybe, just maybe the Multiplayer of Doom 2016 is not the next big thing? We don't know yet. Some love it, some like it, some are not impressed.

What bothers me more is why Bethesda and id put it all on one card and marketed the Multiplayer first and foremost so close to the release. People want new single player games, take a look at the "fiasco" (I am overdramatizing) regarding the lack of Single Player/Bots in Battlefront. Why not market both variations of this game? I hope that Bethesda/id showers us from now on with new singleplayer trailers and information, because that's what I am in for.

I personally thought the Alpha's were more impressive than the Beta's.

Betas seemed riddled with console-esque COD/HALO style stuff that is superficial clutter or perks/customization/gestures/nonsense. It has taken a major step in the wrong direction from the alphas, IMO. Thus it feels akward and clumsy playing it on a PC.

Alphas were more straightforward... here's your character, here's your weapons, now get to it. More Quake 3/Team Arena/UT style.

Of course, with that said, it's not 1993, 1999 or even 2003 anymore and the PC isn't the 'money making cash cow' it once was for FPS games, so the direction I want the DM/team DM to go for DOOM is probably not the same direction today's gamers-coming-of-age would want, which so happens to be majority console players who like stuff like battlefield/cod/halo, and that's where the money is. Understandable... go where the the market is. And as far as MP goes with this game, it can go to that market all it wants. I could careless about the MP on the whole, aside from co-op. It's the snapmap, coop, and singleplay campaign I'm after... and as long as those cater to *my* kind of interest, I'm happy.

Remember... they have to make a game that caters to everyone, not just the original fans. But to old and newcomers alike... and there's ALOT of newcomers in 23 years to cater to.

Oh man, i don't want to sound pessimist about it, but as much as i enjoyed the Alpha, and the last Beta, it seems that the MP is gonna fail...
And i don't mean it just by the steam reviews. It seems that for every positive reaction there are two negative ones and even more indiferent ones. And while im having a lot of fun with the game, i can't say that i don't agree with some of the criticism that some people point at the game

I really hope that the SP is as good as i think it looked at the E3 demo (if not better) since the MP is really not working for a lot of people.

I have been watching on Twitch. I have only been seeing multiplayer (not sure if the beta is multi-player only or not) and I am not really that impressed. It looks like any other shooter out there - both the visuals and the gameplay (there was only one map I saw that seemed to stand out for its hellishness). I will have to reserve my final judgement for when I get my hands on the commercial release next month and play some single player and also get a feel for the multiplayer.

Krimson Madness said:

If you cancel your pre-order and not gonna get the game then you're not a DOOM fan sorry.

You've got some balls to say preording makes you a fan, because it doesn't. I am not going to preorder nor am going to touch that dreaded season pass because that is multiplayer centric.

Besides, what have you contributed to the Doom community besides playing the game?

2 maps on deathmatch, that really sums up the ENTIRE GAME.
People need to realize this is less than 5% of it... and its still a work in progress technically.
Great job critics.. you've been waiting to criticize this game since day one.. now that you had say your all going to be put to shame on the 13th.

They really need to put out a snapmap or campaign demo so I can see if this game is worth buying, because right now I am extremely skeptical

The fact that they are only focusing on the multiplayer is worrying, but hopefully it stops once the beta is over, because we NEED to see more single player

ArchangelOfHell said:

2 maps on deathmatch, that really sums up the ENTIRE GAME.
People need to realize this is less than 5% of it... and its still a work in progress technically.
Great job critics.. you've been waiting to criticize this game since day one.. now that you had say your all going to be put to shame on the 13th.

Then again - without my intend to defend them - it shows a major flaw regarding Steam's review system. You cannot turn it off for pre-release, alphas, betas, how-ever-you-want-to-call-it.

If it is an unknown indy game or similar, the people reviewing it will most likely be people who are close to the development or share interest in it's development.

If it is an AAA-title like Doom, it attracts basically everyone (hey...it's "OPEN"!!!! beta) and they don't care to research what state this "demo" is in, how much of the full game it represents etc. pp.. They don't like what they see => bamn, negative review, next game please.

Krimson Madness said:

I better start by deleting all my shitty maps and start regretting the two decades of my life wasted. Thanks for setting my priorities straight.

HavoX said:

We have a little less than a month, dude. In that time they have to print and ship the game to retailers. If we do get something, it'll be a day one patch fix, not game play and mechanic alterations.

Hofmann said:

Ok, so if every area is suited for the items that it's holding and because certain items should be placed away from each other, like megahealth shouldn't be placed close to red armor, means that certain areas shouldn't be placed close to each other. You're right maps wouldn't be EXACTLY the same but it would still have all the elements, I don't see how loadouts would forbid something to exist (in terms of level design), we still have jump pads, portals, wide/narrow areas, lava, verticality, whatever.... Basically what you are saying is if grandma had a dick she would be a grandpa.

You should read what I said about the level design as an answer to Arctangent when she said she didn't see what adding weapons to the maps would do. What I'm saying is that it's different to design a level that isn't meant for loadouts because you have to plan where each weapon is gonna be placed and why. I mean I'm not saying that the current level design is bad, what I'm saying is that there is indeed something that adding weapons to the map would do, it would affect the way a level is planned and designed, besides the obvious which is not limiting your options and your arsenal to two weapons.

Glaice said:

You've got some balls to say preording makes you a fan, because it doesn't. I am not going to preorder nor am going to touch that dreaded season pass because that is multiplayer centric.

Besides, what have you contributed to the Doom community besides playing the game?

I also said that true fans are gonna get this game. So you can only contribute to the community if you're a pessimist? I can ask you the same. I'm want everything from this game from preorder bonusses to season pass because i love the franchise and the developer and that alone makes me a true fan. Yeah i'm a DOOM fanboy and i say that with pride.