Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snapshot

GameFront is closing, Bad news for some Doom 3 Mods .

Read the full article here : http://www.moddb.com/groups/moddb/news/gamefront-is-closing-lets-save-the-mods#readarticle

Moddb said:

We are very worried that many amazing mods and addons shared only on Gamefront will be lost in 2 weeks time after the closure. So we are calling on our entire community to help us preserve these files and make them available forever. If you have downloaded a mod, addon or know of files on GameFront that are not currently hosted on Mod DB, please share them. You can submit content to Mod DB via the following link ...

Oh fuck, a lot of mods for many games will likely end up disappearing regardless of peoples efforts to save most of them.

Anyway it's probably a better idea to make a thread about this in EE since the site hosts mods for more games than just Doom 3 and people are more likely to see the news there.

I feel for all those mods that will be lost.
Even if GameFront didn't allow me to download stuff anyways.

Filefront and Gamefront were the same place, they simply renamed and closed their pages for individual games.

Thats a shame... I started browsing the files to maybe discover some hidden gems I have overlooked in the past. But many downloads don't work for some reason.

It is pretty unfortunate to see them go, but I must say, as a latin american, I couldn't care less about their doomed (ha) fate.

Long story short: Almost 4 years ago, they decided to put a block on the vast majority of Latin American countries for no reason whatsoever. Naturally this meant that every mod hosted in Game/FileFront was inaccessible without a proxy. I have my personal thoughts about this situation and this (unsurprising) turn of events, but since they don't have anything to do with the topic at hand, I will keep them to myself.

Anyway, I'll be sure to back up Classic Doom 3!

Some people on moddb have already claimed to have a lot of gamefront/filefront content archived so it just may not be lost after all.

Also ex-volunteers of the Filefront community have created a new site named FilesNation

I was about to say earlier "It's May 2nd and somehow the site is still up". The site is now redirecting to The Escapist Magazine, so I guess they finally kicked the bucket.

I saved Classic Doom 3 ver. 1.3.1, the Classic Doom 3 soundtrack (which moddb doesn't seem to have a copy), a couple of D3 skin mods and even a few mods for Unreal Tournament 2004 (and by the way, a big deal of UT2004's modding scene's content was hosted in that site so...welp.)

I'll probably throw the download links sometime in the week for those interested.

Sucks to see It go, better get those DOOM 3 mods and reupload 'em guys, If someone's that generous at least.