Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Could Quake fanboys kill the PC version of Doom?

I know it sounds far-fetched, but considering that thousands of Quake fanboys have already DESTROYED the open beta (it currently holds a score of 37%/very negative), do you think it's possible that their negative reaction to the game might kill the PC version of Doom in it's infancy before it has any real chance to grow? First impressions are a vital period of time for a new game on the market, so if a couple of thousand Quake fanboys review bomb the pc version at launch giving it a negative score, then on paper it could be enough that anyone not already determined to play the new Doom will simply ignore/skip it after seeing the negative rating. I for example have NEVER bought a game that has had a mixed or negative review rating.

At first the idea sounds like needless worries, but considering that the beta has already obtained over 2 THOUSAND negative reviews most of whom are "this isn't QUake whaaaaaaa!!!" I am legit scared this might actually happen for real. And you know what that means? Lackluster sales. Lackluster sales would kill the franchise. Yes, I am actually suggesting that the Quake fanboys have the potential to not only fuck up this game but the series as a whole if the game won't sell good as a result of them.

Define destroyed? It loads up people to play with quite quickly, and my guess is the game will remain well populated and be a big seller. Plus the final game including single-player and snapmap will probably be better reviewed.

But even if it it does have a low common consensus number, odds of it being destroyed are quite low I'd say.

Also, I love Quake, and I love the Doom beta.

hardcore_gamer said:

I for example have NEVER bought a game that has had a mixed or negative review rating.

Hopefully you do at some point, maybe this will get you to venture out more in your game choices.

And keep in mind, on steam 69% is listed as "mixed", even though that's more positive than mixed. If you really wouldn't ever try a game just because of that, you're probably missing out on games you'd enjoy.

Technician said:

The Quake community isn't that big, brah.

It doesn't need to be. As long as the initial wave of reviews from fanboys destroy the game then it could snowball into disaster for the game since very few people will buy a game with a bad overall rating.

PsychoGoatee said:

Define destroyed? It loads up people to play with quite quickly, and my guess is the game will remain well populated and be a big seller.

What do you consider a "big seller"? If the game just barely makes back the money invested into it then the publishers won't bother making another Doom game in the future. This is what I fear. Even worse is that big sites like IGN actually appear to have joined the "Doom sucks because it isn't Quake" bandwagon.

Technician said:

The Quake community isn't that big, brah.

Nope, but there's alot of 10 year olds that claim they're fans, despite never playing it.

Also I hate when people dick ride Quake. I like it, but when I go to play, there's barely anyone. People on forums shit on COD and dickride Quake, but the player counts show the opposite.

Kids trying to seem hardcore

hardcore_gamer said:

It doesn't need to be. As long as the initial wave of reviews from fanboys destroy the game then it could snowball into disaster for the game since very few people will buy a game with a bad overall rating.

What do you consider a "big seller"? If the game just barely makes back the money invested into it then the publishers won't bother making another Doom game in the future. This is what I fear. Even worse is that big sites like IGN actually appear to have joined the "Doom sucks because it isn't Quake" bandwagon.

Sales aren't inherently based on steam review ratios. This game has commercials on TV. And let's also not put the cart in front of the horse, these are just reviews for the multiplayer beta which disappears after this weekend. The full game may very well be well reviewed.

Vs1991 said:

Nope, but there's alot of 10 year olds that claim they're fans, despite never playing it.

Also I hate when people dick ride Quake. I like it, but when I go to play, there's barely anyone. People on forums shit on COD and dickride Quake, but the player counts show the opposite.

This is so silly. Who cares what is more popular? Plus you're comparing a 90s series to the current big seller. It's okay to like Quake more than CoD, I know I do. Nothing to do with posturing. I have no idea what you're on about. And Quake is a great single-player game too, but maybe that's a side topic.

And do you genuinely have an example of ten year olds pretending to be Quake fans, or is this just a fun idea?

PsychoGoatee said:

Sales aren't inherently based on steam review ratios. This game has commercials on TV. And let's also not put the cart in front of the horse, these are just reviews for the multiplayer beta which disappears after this weekend. The full game may very well be well reviewed.

This is so silly. Who cares what is more popular? Plus you're comparing a 90s series to the current big seller. It's okay to like Quake more than CoD, I know I do. Nothing to do with posturing. I have no idea what you're on about.

I like Quake more then COD too. But it doesn't add up when everyone on the internet claims it's so great and COD is shit, but even old CODs have higher player bases. It's as if everyone says it's great but no one plays it.

Vs1991 said:

I like Quake more then COD too. But it doesn't add up when everyone on the internet claims it's so great and COD is shit, but even old CODs have higher player bases. It's as if everyone says it's great but no one plays it.

When you say "everyone", based anecdotally on stuff you're seeing on the net, think about that. Say you've seen 50 people say they love Quake online. That seems like a lot to you, but considering Quake has sold millions of copies it's not that many. You're just assuming they're lying, which is odd.

It does seem that way sadly. All we can hope for now is for the game to get some excellent reviews and the sales do well with the console crowd because all I seem to read on steam forums is the game is either crap or they will buy it for $5 in sales which doesn't help id software at all.

Regardless of the MP hate this is getting (very unjustified in my opinion as the game is a lot of fun for what it is) it will be the campaign that will make this a must have buy. They have hidden that part of the game well and I think its because its going to be something rather special.

With each passing year the internet just seems to get worse with the hate, the new mirrors edge is already getting flack because of some changes to gameplay design. The fans are extremely lucky to even get that game as the original flopped and your dealing with EA.

PsychoGoatee said:

When you say "everyone", based anecdotally on stuff you're seeing on the net, think about that. Say you've seen 50 people say they love Quake online. That seems like a lot to you, but considering Quake has sold millions of copies it's not that many. You're just assuming they're lying, which is odd.

Maybe I'm overgeneralizing, but all the time on different forums I always see people Dickriding Q3 and UT. Saying best MP of all time etc. Not too many people play Q3 or UT now. Despite it being GOAT, the new unreal tournaments playerbase is embarassing.

I find people praise it more then play it nowadays. You see threads with hundreds of people saying they love the games, but the communities are on life support

With Counter-Strike, I can understand if people praise it. Even 1.6 has a ton of players still to this day.

archvile82 said:

The fans are extremely lucky to even get that game as the original flopped and your dealing with EA.

This is another thing about this that pisses me off. People should be happy that were are even getting a new Doom game. After not hearing anything for years fallowing Doom 3 I was convinced that the series was dead. And now that it's back, lots of people it seems want to kill the series simply because it's not 100% what they wanted it to be.

Vs1991 said:

Maybe I'm overgeneralizing, but all the time on different forums I always see people Dickriding Q3 and UT. Saying best MP of all time etc. Not too many people play Q3 or UT now. Despite it being GOAT, the new unreal tournaments playerbase is embarassing.

I find people praise it more then play it nowadays. You see threads with hundreds of people saying they love the games, but the communities are on life support

With Counter-Strike, I can understand if people praise it. Even 1.6 has a ton of players still to this day.

Yep, they tried to give quake a boost with the steam integration, achievements and a 1 off payment and all it got was flak for changing it from the sub model (which I thought many complained about anyway). The game was in the top 100 chart for a couple of weeks and disappeared.

Those damn Quake fanboys ruined the premiere of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace too! The bastards!

If Doom isn't a commercial success, that will have no effect on your ability to obtain and enjoy the game.

40oz said:

If Doom isn't a commercial success, that will have no effect on your ability to obtain and enjoy the game.

But if it fails he can't throw his bucks at DLC and a haphazard sequel.

40oz said:

Are you serious?

Do you think the game will get lots of future support from the devs if nobody is playing it except the 10 people that bought it? And what about the future of the franchise? You don't care if the series dies? You don't want any future Doom games?

It could effect the MP experience for sure. I think this might be the case where people who really like the game aren't speaking up, maybe type in game chat to get people to review it? Why doesn't Doom world get on this?

Hopefully the beta reviews won't be transferred over to the full version steam page.

hardcore_gamer said:

Are you serious?

Do you think the game will get lots of future support from the devs if nobody is playing it except the 10 people that bought it? And what about the future of the franchise? You don't care if the series dies? You don't want any future Doom games?

Exactly my concerns! I want Doom to succeed, I don´t want it to fade from the gaming landscape (Geez, going a little poetical here XD)

I wonder how the beta is doing on consoles right now.

Vs1991 said:

Not sure what the player count has to do with the popular opinion of high level quake/doom players thinking this game is slow as shit and not as fast as THE OLD DOOMS. I'm sure there's a lot of people who agree with that popular opinion from just having watched the two games

sleepii said:

Not sure what the player count has to do with the popular opinion of high level quake/doom players thinking this game is slow as shit and not as fast as THE OLD DOOMS. I'm sure there's a lot of people who agree with that popular opinion from just having watched the two games

But having an opinion on something you've never experienced is stupid. Sure High level quake and doom looks fucking awesome in motion, but most can't play at that level to this day.

hardcore_gamer said:

Do you think the game will get lots of future support from the devs if nobody is playing it except the 10 people that bought it

Bethesda doesn't provide a whole lot of support after initial release. If you notice they already released a DLC plan to get people interested before the heat dies down after purchase.

And what about the future of the franchise? You don't care if the series dies? You don't want any future Doom games?

My wet dream was for id to release Doom as freeware so it could live on forever, not to be sold to a faceless corporation who could resorts to copyright trolling when fans make innovations to their franchise. Nintendo comes immediately to mind. id was kind to it's community, these guys, not so much. The Snap Map system is just a vein attempt to placate us in hopes we see them as community friendly as id was. If we go beyond what the Snap Map provides us, we may see a cease and desist order come our way. They've already shown little integrity for the original Doom by modifying it's resource files to appease to a wider audience.

Vs1991 said:

But having an opinion on something you've never experienced is stupid. Sure High level quake and doom looks fucking awesome in motion, but most can't play at that level to this day.

Again, you're making odd assumptions. Just because the player count is low today does not mean they have never played it. And you're not required to play the same game forever 15+ yearsa after it came out to chime in and say hey I like this, would like more games to be like this.

The people saying Q3/UT is the best of the genre probably mean it, as odd as that may be to you. The fact that CoD has more players is completely incidental, and how you're comparing these things is tenuous.

And again, I love those games and also this game, so the idea that all Quake fans are to blame is also odd.

I don't think the problem of the bad review flood has anything to do with any "Quake fanboys" in particular.
I think the problem lies more with people going into the game with a negative opinion, thus getting nothing but a negative experience out of it.

PsychoGoatee said:

Again, you're making odd assumptions. Just because the player count is low today does not mean they have never played it. And you're not required to play the same game forever 15+ yearsa after it came out to chime in and say hey I like this, would like more games to be like this.

The people saying Q3/UT is the best of the genre probably mean it, as odd as that may be to you. The fact that CoD has more players is completely incidental, and how you're comparing these things is tenuous.

And again, I love those games and also this game, so the idea that all Quake fans are to blame is also odd.

If people liked them so much why not support the newer Arena FPS? Like Reflex or Toxikk? Both were awesome games that died unbelievably quick. Even the UT is gonna be dead on arrival.

Arena FPS is like the hipster genre that everyone apparently loves but no one plays anymore

Professional reviews > random reviews/rate. Wait until the game releases for the reviews that actually matter.

I think that id/Beth need to show a good portion of SP campaign to calm people down! It was too much of MP in recent months. Thus of course Doom is getting devided in to 2 different types of experience, may be they should have promote 2 different versions of the game.

Only thing I imagine could safe it would be if the Quake fanboys don't actually buy the game since they hate it (the beta is free, but the full game won't be) and thus can't review it.

EDIT: Unless they all decide to buy it just so they can shit all over it and then re-fund it. Now that I think about it I think lots of them would be more than sad enough to do so.