Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Could Quake fanboys kill the PC version of Doom?

DooM_RO said:

Look who found our little thread.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-new-doom-killed-by-quake-fanboys.81888/page-89

WARNING: The people there are garbage. Read at your own risk.

Rofl they've been vitriolic about this game since page 1, two years ago. I don't think Doom4 is the best thing since sliced bread, but it's always looked at least decent. GG to them for being the stereotypical cancerous gamer crowd, though.

DooM_RO said:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-new-doom-killed-by-quake-fanboys.81888/page-89

RPGCodex is one of the laughing stocks of the internet. Basically, their hate for Doom is the result of hatred they hold for everything Bethesda-related ever since Fallout 3 turned out to be neither isometric nor turn based. Not to mention that place is known for insane amounts of toxicity and bigotry.

DooM_RO said:

And they found out our comments on their thread.

"Obviously, the battle of putting hand and face together was futile".

Anyway, not ALL of them are garbage (or Doom-related).
But the ones that are, just jacked up.

Neutrino said:

RPGCodex is one of the laughing stocks of the internet. Basically, their hate for Doom is the result of hatred they hold for everything Bethesda-related ever since Fallout 3 turned out to be neither isometric nor turn based. Not to mention that place is known for insane amounts of toxicity and bigotry.

You're right, it's the place where neckbeards go to die.

They are best ignored. That place might be good for few laughs, but eventually it gets just depressing seeing how messed up and cancerous gaming community can get.

I'm getting a kick out of that thread, thanks for mentioning it. The irony in some of those posts is fucking golden!

Doomkid said:

I'm getting a kick out of that thread, thanks for mentioning it. The irony in some of those posts is fucking golden!

I'm not sure if I'm getting a kick out of it, but I just cannot resist looking at new responses. It's like looking at fresh result of some car accident.

LOL. Those losers literally put my comment in their site's title.
"rpg codex > one of the laughing stocks of the internet"
I think they like us guys.

Voros said:

At least this guy likes it

Post 3

Oh hey look, a forum of the legitimate Quake Fanboys, and whodathunkit!? They actually like it! They must've been born before 2000.

Hot Damn!

I don't think that OP was speaking about some organized attack coming from Quake "fanbase". It's closer to bunch of people leaving negative reviews because they were expecting Q3 in different engine and with different coat of paint, and that it something Doom MP was never meant to be. We all saw that bunch of reviews on Steam boiled down to "MP doesn't play exactly like Quake, and so I hate it".

Voros said:

If these guys are actual "Quake Fanboys", then who are the ones on Steam?

The fake Q3 fanboys:

TheMightyHeracross said:

The idea is this: a bunch of dudes who probably played (or watched) Quake 3 for 20 minutes and think that every arena shooter needs to be "like" Q3. To them, that is bhopping at blinding speed with fisheye FOV, spamming rockets and rails, until you win. And since Doom 16 isn't that, it fails at being an arena shooter and Bethesda/id/Creative Affinity suck at everything ever, and since it's not as fast as oh precious Q3 it is a filthy snail's pace awful garbage console peasant Halo clone. When that shouldn't be the idea in the first place. Hence, fake fan.

Wasn't the MP for Doom 3 basically Quake 3 with fancy lighting?

The reason people love Quake 3's MP so much is that it's really fun and balanced. If thousands of people hate on Doom 4's MP then why shouldn't they be allowed to put their review on Steam? The reason it's getting great reception on Consoles is because they don't have access to a wide variety of arena style shooters.

The PC market is saturated with great arena shooters, so when the grand-daddy of all FPS games gets updated with multiplayer that apes some of the worst aspects of modern games then I would absolutely expect the pc community to dump on it.
If you enjoy the game then buy it and play it, have fun. Clearly there are a lot of PC gamers out there who disliked what they played. Despite my own tepid anticipation for the game I am still going to buy it "because doom"... I am still expecting decent singleplayer and I will not be buying any more id games games if it's bad.

If they do, they'll screw themselves.

If the first arena-based fps to be released in such a long time bombs epicly badly, it will be a very,very long time before any major developer will make any attempt to develop another arena shooter.

Then the next Quake is that much farther away, if it even gets made.

They can make as many Quakes as they want, or maybe they never will. We still have the original Dooms and Quakes anyway. The old game doesn't get taken away from us when the new one comes out.

I haven't even played Quake 4 yet, I have no interest in it. I'm sure it's a perfectly serviceable shooter.

FifthElephant said:

They can make as many Quakes as they want, or maybe they never will. We still have the original Dooms and Quakes anyway. The old game doesn't get taken away from us when the new one comes out.

I haven't even played Quake 4 yet, I have no interest in it. I'm sure it's a perfectly serviceable shooter.

Quake 4 was a good game..juest really generic and forgettable. Too linear for my taste as well but the overall game was not that bad.

BloodReyvyn said:

If they do, they'll screw themselves.

If the first arena-based fps to be released in such a long time bombs epicly badly, it will be a very,very long time before any major developer will make any attempt to develop another arena shooter.

Then the next Quake is that much farther away, if it even gets made.

See I don't get this? If there's so many people that want an Arena Shooter, why not just hop on CRom Q3A servers or Quake Live?

Cuz kidz get rektd that's why.... Most if not all the people screaming for a proper Arena Shooter would rage so hard, I guarantee it.

If those kids wanted fast arena shooters, then games like Reflex and similar releases would be far more popular, instead of being sentenced to death like bunch of games that preceded them. "Old school arena shooter" is one of those things that you always see people loudly clamoring for on forums, but it is something most of those people are obviously not interested in actually playing.

It must be good idea to add slides from Q4 to Doom - absolutely Doom thing. IMHO.

Flesh420 said:

See I don't get this? If there's so many people that want an Arena Shooter, why not just hop on CRom Q3A servers or Quake Live?

Cuz kidz get rektd that's why.... Most if not all the people screaming for a proper Arena Shooter would rage so hard, I guarantee it.

It's funny, of the people relentlessly bashing this game (not the legitimate critics, just the bandwagon riders) I've seen approximately 0 of those people in a classic Doom DM or CTF servers ever. I get the strong impression that most of them just like to complain but they don't even truly understand what they're complaining about.

I already have Doom 2. From a commercial release, I don't just want a generic HD remake - That stuff is always best left to the modding community. I'm glad we have a different variety of Doom now. For a "Halo clone", it certainly does seem better than every Halo I've seen. That's just my take on it.

Voros said:

Fortunately, they have basically the same complaints we do... Well according to DeathMaster.

If these guys are actual "Quake Fanboys", then who are the ones on Steam?

They seem like a good group of people who know how to have a normal discussion. unlike the mentally ill lot you have over on the steam forums.

Doomkid said:

It's funny, of the people relentlessly bashing this game (not the legitimate critics, just the bandwagon riders) I've seen approximately 0 of those people in a classic Doom DM or CTF servers ever. I get the strong impression that most of them just like to complain but they don't even truly understand what they're complaining about.

I already have Doom 2. From a commercial release, I don't just want a generic HD remake - That stuff is always best left to the modding community. I'm glad we have a different variety of Doom now. For a "Halo clone", it certainly does seem better than every Halo I've seen. That's just my take on it.

On the talk of it seeming like a halo clone, would it be the newest halo? Because the beta itself didn't really feel like the older Halo games that much.

LittleBurger said:

On the talk of it seeming like a halo clone, would it be the newest halo? Because the beta itself didn't really feel like the older Halo games that much.

Personally I don't see it as a Halo clone, the way I don't really see Duke3D as a Doom clone despite the similarities. However if one must use the "clone" label, they at least need to admit it's a fantastic "clone", not some sub-par crap like many are making it out to be.

Similarities with Halo MP are superficial at best. It's no wonder that people who make that claim mostly focus on the fact that devs worked on multiplayer portions of more recent Halo games, instead of talking about, you know, actual game.

Clone or not, important thing about Doom MP is that it is damn fun.

Those "Quake Fanboys" say say the opposite though.. .

OH WAIT.

They're all gone! What a waste of time for them.

There seems to be this huge backlash on the internet where overwhelming amounts of people are rejecting this game as not being true to "arena shooters" when I don't even remember THAT many people even playing Q3A back in the day. Do you really think that your average Q3A player, who no doubt would be at least around 30 years old now, would be this heated and bent out of shape about Doom not playing like Quake? It didn't even happen when Doom 3 came out and it was a similar situation. If anything, movement speed, map design, and player count are all closer to Q3A than Doom 3 was.

I honestly get the feeling this is a weird nerd cred situation where everyone needs to claim to be an ex-Q3A or UT pro and be an authority in the genre. I remember being an awkward long-haired D&D playing metal nerd with a small group of friends who got made fun of for playing Q3A and UT 2004 instead of CS at internet caffes back in the day. It's a niche genre that didn't really survive for very long. Look at the financial failure of both UTIII and Quake Live. So where were all these die hards during that time? Look at the hilariously bad community size of both Quake Live and the UT Alpha... where are these people right now? Obviously not playing Arena Shooters, otherwise the genre wouldn't be in such bad shape.

I played the game, I had fun. I felt it had a high skill ceiling, cool advanced movement potential with the personal teleporter, nice map design and creative weapons. I don't dwell on musing about weather it fits into certain sub-genre of FPS because it is still an FPS that scratches that streamlined-FPS id software itch that RAGE really lacked. It's like music, really. Do people honestly care if Iron Maiden's Seventh Son of the Seventh son is strictly NWOBHM or some hybrid Progressive Metal? Does it matter? It's still good, if you don't like it because it doesn't sound like Killers, well, Killers still exists, go listen to it. Just like music hipsters, game hipsters would rather complain about how something isn't like something of the past instead of simply enjoying the things they do like.

Maybe this sentiment resonates a little more with me, and probably many on here, because that's exactly what Doom World is all about. We've been here forever for exactly that reason. Doom was original and special and we continued to play it because we enjoy it, we are here celebrating a game that's over 20 years old because we would rather play what we enjoy than complain on Steam about how much other games aren't like Doom.

I don't get why you guys are defending this shit.

Id basically pioneered the fps genre and 20 years later they poop out this. I would probably be less disappointed if the "new" doom was just bad but it is not. This doom is just generic. Not a single original idea.