Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Could Quake fanboys kill the PC version of Doom?

illuknisaa said:

I don't get why you guys are defending this shit.

Id basically pioneered the fps genre and 20 years later they poop out this. I would probably be less disappointed if the "new" doom was just bad but it is not. This doom is just generic. Not a single original idea.

Your post is just generic. Not a single original idea.

Deatheye said:

is it even possible for a fps to come up with something original in 2016?

I don't really think so.

I'd say it's either play it safe and never really change anything with your game, and get called out on it not being new after awhile when enough similar games are added to the series, or trying to do something different but likely not new and dealing with complaints on how it isn't original/a clone of something else.

illuknisaa said:

I don't get why you guys are defending this shit.

Id basically pioneered the fps genre and 20 years later they poop out this. I would probably be less disappointed if the "new" doom was just bad but it is not. This doom is just generic. Not a single original idea.

Maybe because we like what we see and played. Not everyone has a huge issue with the game being what it is. If you don't like it then don't bother with it. Pretty simple.

Anyone with with the mentality that this game has to play like quake because id made it, I guess they might as well make it play like commander keen too then.

TheWizard said:

Anyone with with the mentality that this game has to play like quake because id made it, I guess they might as well make it play like commander keen too then.

I actually wonder Commander Keen will ever see the light of day again.

MrDeAD1313 said:

Maybe because we like what we see and played. Not everyone has a huge issue with the game being what it is. If you don't like it then don't bother with it. Pretty simple.

This.

Or at least give it a run through in its entirety rather than just bandwagon-slam it like the steam crowd over a beta multiply map, lol.

LittleBurger said:

I actually wonder Commander Keen will ever see the light of day again.

Sadly, Bethesda is just squatting on the rights to the game.

Spoke to Tom Hall a while back. He badly wants them to relinquish rights to the game so he can continue the series, but they just wont, unfortunately :(

Should be a copyright/IP law for such circumstances... as in "use it or lose it"

How would you go about talking sense into the chair-rocking idiots at Atari if said law got a pass?

DooM_RO said:

Your post is just generic. Not a single original idea.

I guess you are right. Your ad hominem really showed that I was wrong and too rash in my post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAryFIuRxmQ

Deatheye said:

is it even possible for a fps to come up with something original in 2016?

"Hey being original seems hard so lets just give up and copy what others are doing" -doomdev
Every few years there is some fps that either comes up something original or manages to execute a concept that sets industry standard. At least RAGE had megatextures.

MrDeAD1313 said:

"Please go away. Your opinions are hurting my feelings."
Just saying that you like something is completely bs argument. And just because I have a negative view on something doesn't mean I shouldn't voice it. In fact if there is only "i liek it" then there is gonna be "DOOM 2017: we added more hats" and do you really want that?

illuknisaa said:

Just saying that you like something is completely bs argument. And just because I have a negative view on something doesn't mean I shouldn't voice it. In fact if there is only "i liek it" then there is gonna be "DOOM 2017: we added more hats" and do you really want that?

Lol ok. Ok wasn't arguing I was simply responding to your question of why do we defend this 'shit'. Not an argument by any means. I love Doom as much as the next guy on this site and want it to be a great addition to the franchise. No need to get all puffed up over it though. Relax. It's just a video game in the end.

illuknisaa said:

I guess you are right. Your ad hominem really showed that I was wrong and too rash in my post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAryFIuRxmQ

"Hey being original seems hard so lets just give up and copy what others are doing" -doomdev
Every few years there is some fps that either comes up something original or manages to execute a concept that sets industry standard. At least RAGE had megatextures.

Sure why not on the hats? It would just be a custom thing that you don't even need to use. As long as it doesn't have cringy taunts that don't ever really seem to get used (along with mostly unnoticeable hack modules that are never really noticeable in game, and never really seemed to change anything).

illuknisaa said:

I have no idea what ad hominem even is but I like to spout latin terminologies around because it gives my post any sort of argumentative weight

lol nice

illuknisaa said:

heavily frowned upon 'advancements' from a graphical standpoint =! innovation

illuknisaa said:

nice ass backwards victim complex, that sure saves you from the responsibility of having to explain why you think the game is generic in contrast to a vague 'why do u guys like this'. if only you had a modicum of decency enough to bother reading people's posts here you'd realize people have been giving out fair criticisms about the game and not blindlessly holding candles to it as you make it out to be.

Just came across this review, which I thought was good:

The only thing I disagree with is his bit about the shotgun. I don't think the shotgun needs to be nerfed. I think some of the other weapons need to be buffed, like the rocket launcher.

ChickenOrBeef said:

Just came across this review, which I thought was good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrM56SlZYiY

The only thing I disagree with is his bit about the shotgun. I don't think the shotgun needs to be nerfed. I think some of the other weapons need to be buffed, like the rocket launcher.

I agree, the SSG seemed fine if inconsistent sometimes but that could just be due to the second layer of health given by the armor. I have to wonder if the weapons would feel a tad bit stronger if the armor didn't just act like more health.

Though the weapons are likely only as weak as they feel due to balancing them out as being part of the load outs.

LittleBurger said:

I agree, the SSG seemed fine if inconsistent sometimes but that could just be due to the second layer of health given by the armor. I have to wonder if the weapons would feel a tad bit stronger if the armor didn't just act like more health.

Though the weapons are likely only as weak as they feel due to balancing them out as being part of the load outs.

I think the Rocket Launcher mainly just needs more splash damage, so it can be used in a more unique way than just going for direct hits. The game sort of encourages using the splash damage by having that mid-air detonation ability, but the splash damage just doesn't do enough. So I hardly used that ability.

Also, here is Boogie's review (also known as Francis), which I don't think has been posted:

This is an interesting review, since he said this game isn't what he was expecting at all and he initially felt the game was "meh". But after playing for a few hours and getting used to the mechanics he felt it was a "hell of a lot of fun".

ChickenOrBeef said:

I think the Rocket Launcher mainly just needs more splash damage, so it can be used in a more unique way than just going for direct hits. The game sort of encourages using the splash damage by having that mid-air detonation ability, but the splash damage just doesn't do enough. So I hardly used that ability.

Also, here is Boogie's review (also known as Francis), which I don't think has been posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwQvfsw9CiE

This is an interesting review, since he said this game isn't what he was expecting at all and he initially felt the game was "meh". But after playing for a few hours and getting used to the mechanics he felt it was a "hell of a lot of fun".

I had forgotten that the rocket launcher had that weapon modifier as its secondary ability. It seemed like that splash damage did like mid 30ish damage normally so I usually just went for direct hits as well when using it.

I have more of that meh feeling about the mp seen in the beta, though that could change depending on how the full mp pans out. I still had some fun with it, though there are a few things not load out related that I find would need to be fixed (some preference settings for connecting servers or a server selection menu, some form of team balancing, anti cheat measures, and maybe the ability to vote for a longer match or the like before a match). I think most of these things have been brought up at point as well (assuming they were just not in the beta due to it being a more limited version of mp).

I really would like to see if possible how the weapons would feel with armor that doesn't purely act like extra health.

I like how everyone has already made up their minds about the game. They don't wait for YouTuber reviews, they don't wait to see how the SP is because of course they know better.

I hate the internet.

DooM_RO said:

I like how everyone has already made up their minds about the game. They don't wait for YouTuber reviews, they don't wait to see how the SP is because of course they know better.

I hate the internet.

The mp mode getting highly focused on at first probably didn't help at all. I have to wonder if the excessive hate/thinking the mp mode is the only one, would have been decreased some if some slight more focus on SP and snapmap was done first before all the focus on mp.

LittleBurger said:

The mp mode getting highly focused on at first probably didn't help at all. I have to wonder if the excessive hate/thinking the mp mode is the only one, would have been decreased some if some slight more focus on SP and snapmap was done first before all the focus on mp.

I agree. For the last month all they have shown is MP and I was like "bla bla bla let me see the REAL game"