Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doominator2

Why all the hate?

Recommended Posts

Really, literally people are complaining that this game is too much like cod and that its not like an arena shooter. Its literally the closest thing to an arena shooter for a long time. Really do people just like to complain about every little detail?

Share this post


Link to post

Because it doesn't fit with whatever they have had adhered to what they thought the doom game was going to be like (presumably highly quake like) and were slighted by it (this is mostly basing off of the frothing rage on steam).

Share this post


Link to post

the closest things we've gotten to an arena shooter are Toxikk, Reflex, and UT4. Doom 2016 is some water down baby halo.

I personally don't mind the game not being a classic arena shooter, I think it would be cool if it was like combat evolve or something, but it's like this dumb, weird over simplification of that.

Share this post


Link to post
RobotJoe said:

the closest things we've gotten to an arena shooter are Toxikk, Reflex, and UT4. Doom 2016 is some water down baby halo.

I personally don't mind the game not being a classic arena shooter, I think it would be cool if it was like combat evolve or something, but it's like this dumb, weird over simplification of that.


Everybody is into different stuff. Toxikk to me offers nothing interesting, it's just a worse feeling version of UT. Might as well pop in my UT99 CD. UT4 feels very janky at the moment too, it's a pre-alpha, but I like the feel of the Doom beta much better.

I guess just some people are really against having load-outs, the speed, or the time-to-kill, but it's all personal taste. For me it's terrific, I love the feel of it.

I think the short answer is it's called Doom. If it was another game like say Toxikk, it would probably be considered a bit of a gem and get good reviews. Because of people's expectations, I think that's why it's so harshly reviewed.

I also like it a lot better than Halo, and it's faster than Halo, but hey everybody likes different stuff. I never go by reviews or common consensus anyway.

Share this post


Link to post

A lot of what I keep hearing is that it's not like old Doom. Granted I haven't played a Doom MP since Doom II and I wasn't that much into it. I'm came into the beta not knowing what to expect so I didn't have high expectations and I am loving it. Regardless if it plays like old Doom or not I am enjoying it for what it is and not for what it isn't. The beta sold me on a day one purchase.

Share this post


Link to post
RobotJoe said:

Toxikk, Reflex


wait, didn't those like, bomb or something

RobotJoe said:

UT4


... is that still around?

arena FPS are a dying genre as it is. this game isn't neccesarily going to pump an IV regardless of how many oldschool inspired changes they plan to add either I feel.

Share this post


Link to post

To me the game just feels frustratingly simple. Like even though it's just two maps and two modes and only a few of the weapons I have experienced everything this game has offered, there is nothing to learn or get better at, it's not exciting to play. Especially when you have things like the guass cannon and the revenant running around, where you only have to vaguely aim in the direction of someone to net a kill.

It's just turn your brain off and shoot at a man.

If people like that I guess that's cool, just wish it was a little more than that.

and yeah I acknowledge that arena shooters arn't popular and i wouldn't have expected doom to change anything if it actually went that route. I just wish it's mp had more depth that's all!!

Share this post


Link to post

I feel like i might have more to do with the fact that the maps themselves don't allow for this huge fucking battle to take place and the COD newcomers can't necessarily reach Q3A bot levels of skill and aim required to be minimally good at the game

if we got ONE larger map with proper weapon placement, that buffed the guns insanely, and had actual people in it didn't walk in a straight fucking line all the time with no variation on their movement whatsoever, things might change for the better and the game just might become playable for more than the occasional quickmatch.

Share this post


Link to post

these maps also don't really take advantage of the verticality they talked about the new doom having either. It'd probably be fun to have some maps with long falls and tall things to clamber up on. Maybe a big part of the dullness is the map design, who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Almonds said:

if we got ONE larger map with proper weapon placement, that buffed the guns insanely, and had actual people in it didn't walk in a straight fucking line all the time with no variation on their movement whatsoever, things might change for the better and the game just might become playable for more than the occasional quickmatch.


I guess we all have different experiences, but that hasn't been the case for me. I've played a lot of good players, a lot of fancy footwork. And don't forget you can teleport by pressing E. (if you equip that)

RobotJoe said:

these maps also don't really take advantage of the verticality they talked about the new doom having either. It'd probably be fun to have some maps with long falls and tall things to clamber up on. Maybe a big part of the dullness is the map design, who knows.


I disagree there too, love these maps. The way you can climb up to another level pretty much anywhere is great and adds plenty of dynamics and paths for flanking people or going around them.

Share this post


Link to post
Almonds said:

I feel like i might have more to do with the fact that the maps themselves don't allow for this huge fucking battle to take place and the COD newcomers can't necessarily reach Q3A bot levels of skill and aim required to be minimally good at the game

if we got ONE larger map with proper weapon placement, that buffed the guns insanely, and had actual people in it didn't walk in a straight fucking line all the time with no variation on their movement whatsoever, things might change for the better and the game just might become playable for more than the occasional quickmatch.

I thought the two maps we have seen so far seem like they could maybe allow for more than just one weapon on them (even if it is a power weapon, though that Gauss Cannon definitely needs to be tweaked). Not that many, but maybe at least one other or the like.

Share this post


Link to post

Each one of the Reviewers have their opinions , Some want the game to Be like Quake (Needs Rocket/Strafe jumping) , Some want to remove leveling system, loadouts ... etc and Some others want both things in, And some think the weapons aren't as Strong as they should be, And in the end majority are those guys with negative thoughts (Not to mention those who compare it to other games as a way to show their hate) .

Share this post


Link to post
RobotJoe said:

these maps also don't really take advantage of the verticality they talked about the new doom having either. It'd probably be fun to have some maps with long falls and tall things to clamber up on. Maybe a big part of the dullness is the map design, who knows.

I can't really feel like you did anything but stare at the title screen and think that that was the entire game, because there's plenty of stuff to climb and jump over, like the vents in Heatwave and the whole cavern section of the hell map. Not to mention that a ton of powerups are in higher places or requires a miniture jumping puzzle to get at.

Share this post


Link to post

It's the same reason why Doom 3 got so much hate (despite being a great game): everyone has his very special opinion how a Doom remake should look, and exorbitant expectations leading to disappointment.

Share this post


Link to post
Tetzlaff said:

It's the same reason why Doom 3 got so much hate (despite being a great game): everyone has his very special opinion how a Doom remake should look, and exorbitant expectations leading to disappointment.

Protip: If you don't like the modern version, stick to classic and stop whining.

Share this post


Link to post
Arctangent said:

I can't really feel like you did anything but stare at the title screen and think that that was the entire game, because there's plenty of stuff to climb and jump over, like the vents in Heatwave and the whole cavern section of the hell map. Not to mention that a ton of powerups are in higher places or requires a miniture jumping puzzle to get at.


idk i feel like titanfall & and blackops 3 had more verticality and movement than this videogame, it actually got really exciting to move around in titanfall, this is just kinda EH. but yea ur right i kinda imagined all that time i spent in the doom beta.

kinda like a boring nightmare.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/273966993695767392/689539D6EF1BE5D006B3859C109DE496F77692F8/ ( I played the game)

Share this post


Link to post

How many freakin' threads are there going to be about people not liking MP??

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×