Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Poormetheus

Brutal Doom Ceiling Lighting

Hello all,

I introduced myself in a separate thread but anyway, I'm new. I am a fledgling mapper and I have just completed my first wad, about which I'm rather proud!

The only question is this; it's a GZDOOM map, and it works fine with GZDOOM. HOWEVER, when you use the Brutal Doom wad, it messes with the ceiling lights. Has anyone had this problem?

My beef is specifically involving 3D floors. I made a script so that the sector would pulse red, and it looks great in normal GZDOOM, but Brutal Doom makes the ceilings white instead of red as I had programmed them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It is the GLDEFS lump that does this with a glow effect and can be safely edited out if you don't like the effects.

Thanks for your help!

Incidentally, as a fix I replaced the white lights texture with a red lights texture and Brutal Doom allows them to be colored red, so that's the layman's approach without getting into scripts (for anyone reading)

Alternatively, I'll try your approach and see how I get on.

Just to confirm, you're not loading Brutal Doom as a resource into your map editor are you? You're just running Brutal Doom as a mod in the skins folder and so forth?

Just to let you know, I'm using ZDL to launch everything.

GZDOOM, and on the left I have my list of wads which are being loaded by ZDL, one of which is Brutal Doom pk3 or pk7 (can't remember what kind of file it is).

Is this all okay?

And actually, I do like how the glow effect looks, in and of itself. It definitely marks a graphical update to the standard Doom facade.

However, there is the small matter of it screwing with certain ceiling detail / lighting that a mapper might choose to use! I guess you can't have everything in life (unless you mod it) :D

There will always be wads that would not look/work well when you play them with a random graphic/gameplay mod. For any graphic/gameplay mod, you could find such more or less incompatible wads.

Brutal Doom has always ran perfectly for me in Zandronum. Try running the game on Zandronum and see if you notice any differences. If I remember correctly sgt.mark recommend this sourceport the most.