Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

i found this bug

well when i thought i had seen all the bugs the original doom engine had to offer i find another. this bug is in version 1.9 and maybe all the earlier versions too. well while playing e4m4 i am fighting a baron. suddenly an imp pisses it off and the baron kills the imp. however even when i am firing at other creatures it does not wake up to fight me. soon i see his back is to me. i fire a rocket and it hits him dead on, he move forward a few feet(rocket effect) but does not wake up. i fire another rocket and a shotgun blast, still nothing. i then go to the fron of him and only then does he wake up

RailGunner said:

it's not a bug, it's as deaf monster

Dude, I think deaf monsters wake up WHEN YOU SHOOT THEM

a bad reject resource can make monsters completely unresponsive to attacks when the player is at a certain point. that's the only way i can explain it.

I just went to check it out, but there aren't any Barons in E4M4.

There is a "bug" of sorts where if two monsters are too close to another they become stuck "inside" each other, for, er, lack of a better description. When this happens neither enemy can attack or move. I don't suppose that's what happened, and you just didn't see the other monster?

Use3D said:
a bad reject resource can make monsters completely unresponsive to attacks when the player is at a certain point.

It means they can't see you, so they don't shoot, but they still wake up to noise or being hit, and still move around once awake.

Nor does the stuck-in-another-object theory work, because it moved in response to the rocket blast. So I can't explain it, other than as random doom2.exe weirdness.

mapping problem. NOT BUG.
in deepsea and wadauthor, there is a square around the enemy object. the sector must be as big as the square surronding the object or else the object wont move.

RailGunner said:

mapping problem. NOT BUG.
in deepsea and wadauthor, there is a square around the enemy object. the sector must be as big as the square surronding the object or else the object wont move.

I don't see any Baron in E4M4. You do?

sorry it was not E4M4, but it was E4. here is more info about it. no there where no other living monsters near the baron. he had killed an imp. when he killed the imp his back was to me. i realised he was asleep and fired 2 rockets, all they did was push him. like i said he did not wake up until i got into his visual area. mostlikly a starge bug

A deaf monster who cannot see you may be hurt and not respond. The very last time I played I remember this happened, and it's not the first time. It was in blinded.wad (now at /newstuff), entering the room where the rocket launcher is guarded by a baron and an archvile. I saw the baron's edge beyond a pillar and shot him with my ssg; at least a couple of pellets hit him as there was blood splats, but he did not move to that attack (only later when he saw me). I think whether or not deaf monsters that don't see you wake up or not is related to the "pain chance" or a similar variable, so sometimes they don't, particularly barons and other powerful monsters that don't get hurt easily. That baron not reacting to the rockets must have been a quite unlucky one.

I have seen an inactive monster get hit before and not wake up until it was hit twice or sometimes more times, especially if it was by another monster.

It seems way too random and, dare I say it, intelligent to be a bug.

thats not a bug, play a wad with a ton of monsters on "notarget" and you'll see it happen all the time (although the chances of 2 ROCKETS not waking the baron are low)

myk is correct

I found another wierd thing while i was making my work-in-progress map. The idea is that you are a prisoner in a UAC complex and you have to sneak around to avoid triggering more enemies. I found out that:

There must be more programming in Doom than I'd ever had thought before.