Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

All guns share ammo???

I can't believe I did not think about this until now but I think I have realized something horrible. So all ammo pickups in the multiplayer give you ammo for your guns regardless of what guns you have. How do we know this only applies to multiplayer? I cringe at the thought of the game dumbing down ammo management in the single player by just giving the player 1 generic ammo box that works for all his guns. Then what reason would there be to just not always use the best guns?

In SP shotguns share shells, chaingun and heavy assault rifle share bullets, plasma and bfg share cells. At least that is what was shown at E3.

hardcore_gamer said:

I can't believe I did not think about this until now but I think I have realized something horrible. So all ammo pickups in the multiplayer give you ammo for your guns regardless of what guns you have. How do we know this only applies to multiplayer? I cringe at the thought of the game dumbing down ammo management in the single player by just giving the player 1 generic ammo box that works for all his guns. Then what reason would there be to just not always use the best guns?

I just thought about that too; and went back to look at that 29mins of SP video they released a while back and noticed the same yellow ammo boxes in Single Player. And they gave the player ammo for his SSG. UhOh. I think it may be exactly that. One pickup for all weapons. Uuhghh.. mannn..

Never thought about that, would it really be that hard for them to keep multiple ammo types for SP. That is a concern though if you include the piñata pickups. I have to wonder, why don't the ammo boxes in mp only fill the weapon you have out and not both of them?

TheMightyHeracross said:

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1530092

Boom. Not a screenshot, but go to the video like they say, and you'll see. No general ammo in SP.

All the same color, but they're clearly differentiated by 3 shells on one and 4 bullets on the other.

That may alleviate some amount of concern, but I'm still skeptical over the pinata effect from enemies being so important. Mainly with how that mechanic could impact how they decide to make the levels. While I can understand how that mechanic could keep you in the flow of combat, it also means you wouldn't really have to fully worry about watching your ammo (this is assuming that the drops are overly plentiful).

hardcore_gamer said:

No, they don't. Each weapon draws ammo from their own pool. No shared ammo. There might be shared pickups though. iD knows better than to pull stupid shit like this; DX Invisible War did it and is universally lambasted till this very day, Dead Space 3 did as well and the fans raised a shitstorm so severe that it exists to this day as the Great Red Spot on Jupiter.

TheMightyHeracross said:

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1530092

Boom. Not a screenshot, but go to the video like they say, and you'll see. No general ammo in SP.

All the same color, but they're clearly differentiated by 3 shells on one and 4 bullets on the other.

I really don't get the design language of the ammo boxes.

Like, I get it, everything in the game is supposed to be designed in a way so that you can appreciate it while running past it and still be able to make it out easily, but if this is the case, then what is the point in having ammo boxes look so much like each other?

you could have basically went with making bullets green, shells red, rockets a washed out orange, cells green, all the while using models of actual ammo boxes in real life. Doom 3 did this no problem, why wouldn't you take that and make their colors glow like the rest of the items?

Presumably, it might be because the intention is to just communicate the the pickup is "ammo," so if you're low in general you can just know to head over there and have something in some gun.

It's a minor thing, but it allows you to associate a single color with something you need to grab while low on ammo instead of having to consider several, especially considering green and blue are already used by health and armor. That said, it does have issues in that it's harder to tell what an ammo type is from a distance if you're low on some types but otherwise fine on others. Out of combat it's pretty moot regardless and in combat you're less likely to be a perfectionist with wasting ammo.

I just kinda wish they could have gone with a bit more differentiation between them other than the simple three shells/four bullets design they have to them.

although I seriously doubt I'm going to have a lot of trouble with that while playing the actual game so I'd rather save my nitpicking for anything else worth the salt.

I think there are different ammo pickups in SP, you can see them at least in the gameplay trailer from last year.

A single unified ammo pickup isn't a fundamentally awful idea, though it's more appropriate in some games than others. I really hated it in Dead Space 3, but it hasn't bothered me in this new Doom game at all.

sheridan said:

I think there are different ammo pickups in SP, you can see them at least in the gameplay trailer from last year.

A single unified ammo pickup isn't a fundamentally awful idea, though it's more appropriate in some games than others. I really hated it in Dead Space 3, but it hasn't bothered me in this new Doom game at all.

I'd sort of wonder why they had it refill both weapons in mp, instead of only adding ammo to the current weapon you have out.

LittleBurger said:

I'd sort of wonder why they had it refill both weapons in mp, instead of only adding ammo to the current weapon you have out.

gameplay in MP as a whole is balanced around weapon switching, and it wouldn't make much sense to have that one box you pick up replenish your static rifle's ammo while giving your SSG absolutely nothing. plus the fact that loadouts are a thing would render the entire point of it moot.

It'd certainly be a game changer, someone else can probably comment on this further but I'm admittedly too much of a lazy fucker to do so myself at the moment.

I think it's a good concept, but at least they should've informed us first...

HavoX said:

This, exactly this!

All the decisions of id and Certain Affinity should have to be ratified at a special biweekly meeting here, by a simple majority in the case of purely multiplayer affairs, but by a two-thirds majority in the case of more cross-cutting concerns!!!

We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune, after all!

Not to rain on anyone's parade but remember the Gameinformer articles?

They also have a paid magazine (obviously) where they shared a little more info. Time to quote from the article:

"As if that wasn't enough, for every kill it* also rewards you with additional ammo for your other weapons (which all use the same projectiles)."

*chainsaw

While I don't disagree with the initial observations the Gameinformer article is from a later date. So ammo could very well be general in SP as well.

redrage said:

Not to rain on anyone's parade but remember the Gameinformer articles?

They also have a paid magazine (obviously) where they shared a little more info. Time to quote from the article:

"As if that wasn't enough, for every kill it* also rewards you with additional ammo for your other weapons (which all use the same projectiles)."

*chainsaw

While I don't disagree with the initial observations the Gameinformer article is from a later date. So ammo could very well be general in SP as well.

that was most obviously referring to ammo drops from enemies killed by the chainsaw.

there's no way they'd say the guns all share ammo when there's empyrical evidence of distinct ammo boxes present in the SP footage and leaks briefly mention energy cell packs.

Almonds said:

that was most obviously referring to ammo drops from enemies killed by the chainsaw.

there's no way they'd say the guns all share ammo when there's empyrical evidence of distinct ammo boxes present in the SP footage and leaks briefly mention energy cell packs.

I did not know about the energy cell packs. As I said I do not discount the evidence presented. In fact I hope ammo boxes/stacks are unique for each weapon and the models for them were simply placeholders untill they could come up with something a little more elaborate then yellow crates with slightly different icons on the sides. The fact that the exact same models are used in MP does not comfort me though.

I also hope your interpretation that the chainsaw offers unique "general ammo refills" is the correct one and the phrasing in the article was merely a little poor. It would make the most sense, all things considered.

HavoX said:

Yup I agree, Marty Stratton should have personally informed each and every one of us on their decisions behind the game.