Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Frisky

Is there a place where I can get Doom-styled midis?

So, you know how Doom uses midis, right? Of course you do. I want to know if there a place where I can get some Doom-styled midis.
Does anybody know a website or anything?

ChekaAgent said:

Just rip them from other wads..

That's honestly the least professional response I've ever gotten on this site.
No offense, but I'm not ripping them from other wads.

there's a number of great composers on these very boards, lurk a little :) just about everyone works for free, too. Jimmy's tunes are probably the most well-known and directly applicable to Doom usage. I have about thirty MIDIs knocking around myself but they're less like the original soundtrack

Frisky said:

That's honestly the least professional response I've ever gotten on this site.

To put it a little more professionally, it's usually kosher to use midis from other wads if you give credit for them in your wad's readme -- I'm hard pressed to think of any composer in the Doom community who puts any restrictions on the use of their music. Many of them, like Jimmy, have online libraries of their music that you can freely borrow from. Songs from Doom-era games, like Duke 3D, Blood, and ROTT, are almost universally considered to be in the Doom community's public domain. Midis by the community's early composers (Mark Klem, Tolwyn, Slayer, Tom Mustaine) have been so thoroughly reused that I can only assume it's ok to do so. Often, the best way to get any of the aforementioned music is to just take it from a wad you know it's used in.

If you're really set on finding Doomlike music from outside of the Doom community, I don't think you'll have much luck. The community is strong enough that anyone who wants to make music that sounds like Doom's is probably here. However, you might try Maxime Tondreau -- a more general midi composer whose work is publicly available and has been used in a few Doom wads.

It's threads like these that make me wish the DMG didn't disband. Some sort of de facto repository for Doom-specific midis and other formats that we could point at in addition to whatever personal space the composer has.