Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

[NEVERMIND] How can I weaken my PC with software?

Is there any way to artificially limit my PC's abilities without changing the hardware? I want to force my PC to be underclocked and use less memory (including the video card), so that I can test a game with low-end specs without having to build a new PC.

EDIT: Apparently this isn't possible according to CSG. Feel free to delete this thread.

How is it not possible? You can certainly underclock your memory, cpu and gpu without hardware alteration.

Have you checked your BIOS settings? Sometimes there's an overclocking menu which can also be used to underclock.

Virtual machines maybe? Don't know how suitable they are for game testing, but VMware's Workstation Player (which is freeware) allows for some customization of its working environment, such as setting the amount of system RAM and how many CPU cores to use. There's little control over the video settings apart from 3D graphics acceleration, Workstation Pro might have more options to play with.

Also, mo'slo.
I guess it fell into disuse since the rise of dosbox, but it (and similar tools) used to be the only way to run very old DOS games.