Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

What is your job?

Just to kill the last hour of my shit shift.

So, what do you do, what do you like most about it, and what do you hate the most about it?

Job: Security Guard

Love: The easiness of it. Being a full time student, having a laid back job is nice.

Hate: Management plays favorites a lot.

Biology & chemistry translator (which some of you might find strange, given my sheer incompetence to communicate even the most basic ideas without sounding like an illiterate 10 year old).

EDIT: I fucked up.

I don't work anymore, which is a very long story...

But before mid 2013, I was working for my university as a system administrator (RedHat and Ubuntu Linux mainly) and programmer (C# and Common Lisp). Before that, I did A/V setups and live sound engineering for them, as well as classroom A/V maintenance. In total, I was there for 12 years. Interesting times... I got to meet Jane Goodall once.

*sigh* unemployed. I was in sales and retail before.

Need a Marketing job - my marketing degree and sales background isn't sufficient enough for even a graduates position. May need to send a letter to my Uni and request a refund :P

Chezza said:

May need to send a letter to my Uni and request a refund :P

If that was a possibility I'm sure 95% of students would claim! University is, in my personal opinion, one of the biggest ripoffs going.

Ontopic - My job role is 'Lead Web Designer'. I work for a small four-person team local to where I live, my main role is building websites for a vast variety of clients on an equally varied range of projects.

I manage numerous projects from start to finish offering most services someone in my industry should - Logo Design, Website Design, UX Design, Marketing, Social Networking and Printing, to name a few. Printing is a very broad topic - including but not limited to Business Cards, Stationary, Clothing, Exhibition Stands, Car Decals, so on and so forth.

Back on the education topic, I'm self-taught in the Web and Digital Design fields, having had an interest in them since I was a young kid (Thanks Neopets for introducing me to HTML, heh). I never went to a university as I felt education wasn't needed, I could learn everything on the fly as I do a job rather than slowly (and expensively) being educated in a school-like setting. I did go to a couple of Uni open days and asked the various lecturers and soon-to-be students "Why bother with Uni?". Nothing any of them said felt very convincing except the whole social/party aspects, but I'm not a 'partying kind of person'.

Instead, the very same day I finished at college I started full time at a company in the Greater London area as a Junior Web Designer, gaining commercial experience, which has helped me to land my current job, where I'm very happy. :)

Currently undertaking training in telecommunications. Repairing faults, maintenance, as well as designing future network infrastructure.

@yuki, pretty cool that you met Jane Goodall!

kristus said:

I'm an pre- and elementary-school teacher.

Seriously? I would never have guessed that! Awesome! (My wife is a secondary school teacher)

I'm a freelancer (photography, video, illustration, logo work, design, cartoons, music production) who is also running an Etsy store. I've made 32 bucks this year.

GoatLord said:

I'm a freelancer (photography, video, illustration, logo work, design, cartoons, music production) who is also running an Etsy store. I've made 32 bucks this year.

Maybe it's time to put the blunt down. You've been hitting that thing for days.

In a hardware warehouse working with pallets of stock, forklifts and managing various systems to keep track of the stock. The job is best when I am left to my own devices and can get shit done so time disappears and then I can go home to do more interesting things.

Software Engineer III by day, working in the health care industry. Freelance game programmer by night, currently focusing on contract projects for Night Dive Studios.

I'm aiming for a job in programming. Software or videogames.

But I have to finish my grade 9, 10 etc!

I am a senior administrator at a university, and the office manager of a doctoral and master’s program. We specialize in equipping educators with skills to utilize the technology in the classroom (i.e. drones, math bots, naobots, 3D-printers). I also play a role as an advisement officer for students in my department.

I do Doom 2 Dueling teaching sessions via Skype for $.
Nah just kidding I work part time at a software development company. I don't do any software development.

I fix broken, ancient machinery by salvaging and recomposing pieces of other broken, ancient machinery.

j4rio said:

I'm making money off your diseases.

I am in school to learn how to make money off diseases. I am graduating in august.