Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MistAche

Walk through textures/Walls/Liquid

Hi there, most likely a simple one but I haven't been able to find the answer I'm looking for after trawling back 5-6 pages.

I need to know how to make a wall viewable, but doesn't block anything... you can walk through it, fire through it etc. An example is slime leaking down from a hole in the ceiling. I've managed to do it by accident a few times, and it's one of the unexplained things I haven't worked out.

Also - is there anyway to alter the opacity?

Cheers!

Screw it... while I'm at it, why do some of my switches produce no sound when activated? (or even animate)

MistAche said:

I need to know how to make a wall viewable, but doesn't block anything... you can walk through it, fire through it etc. An example is slime leaking down from a hole in the ceiling. I've managed to do it by accident a few times, and it's one of the unexplained things I haven't worked out.

Also - is there anyway to alter the opacity?

That should be simple enough. Check out the settings in the screenshot:

MistAche said:

why do some of my switches produce no sound when activated? (or even animate)

How did you make those switches?

Thanks Kappes. I will try out your slides now.

Is there a way to show where in gzdoombuilder your secrets are? in game shows 7, but I know I only have 2. I've scanned the entire map and can't find them.

My Edit Linedef is different to yours... I don't have the same options as you:

That's because of different map format i guess, or because you're using a different editor, Kappes is using GZDoomBuilder, you have to make a middle texture for both front and back sides of your linedef, and uncheck impassable linedef effect .

It's because of a different map format / editor configuration that implies a certain map format. Kappes Buur is using UDMF, while you are apparently using Hexen format.

Ah right... damn. Thanks for clearing that up though. I guess the waterfall I have will have to remain solid haha.

Use a "Line Translucent" Action, it should be somewhere in the Action list. Or convert your map to UDMF, it's the ideal format for ZDoom-specific mapping.

MistAche said:

I guess the waterfall I have will have to remain solid haha.

You can always create swimmable 3D Floor instead .

MistAche said:

Ah right... damn. Thanks for clearing that up though. I guess the waterfall I have will have to remain solid haha.

The UDMF(ormat) offers many effects to be applied directly instead of throuigh a roundabout way as in Hexen format.
As you see from my screenshot above, GZDoom Builder makes mapping in this format extremely easy.

If you want to try it out, you can convert your map with GZDB:

Open map with GZDoom Builder.
    Press F2 (Map Options) and select UDMF.
    Hit OK, then Yes.

And just in case, run F4 (Map Analysis) to make sure that nothing untoward happened.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

you have to make a middle texture for both front and back sides of your linedef, and uncheck impassable linedef effect .

If it's a 2-sided linedef then it won't be necessary to "uncheck impassable".

If it's a 1-sided linedef then "unchecking impassable" will lead to a bug.