Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snapshot

Beta is over, thoughts ?

well, if making a real dm and not that 2 weapon 1 ammo thing will cost a 5 minutes in a snapmap, I will play it for a very long time

Had a blast with it. I really appreciated that ID added FOV Slider and Damage Number options to the beta. Shows that they are listening to us fans and are trying to make everyone happy.

I had a great fun time with the beta.Some tweaking and re-balancing here and there and its fine. Played around 12 hours or so, first hour was a bit painful but once you know the maps and the pickups its fun!
Only 1 month to go :)

I have been verbally defending Doom lately but I will stick with the "needs a bit more tweaking" option. However fun, it most definitely is.

My thought is that releasing the beta was a mistake because now the raging horde of Quake fanboys and arena ultra-conservatives have soured the public reaction to it by calling it the worst thing ever.

To be fair I think the multiplayer does suffer from many of the problems people have pointed out, but people are acting as if the whole game is going to suck now even though they have only played the multiplayer, which as far as I know wasn't even made by the same people as the ones that played the single player.

Enjoyed it. I feel a lot of the venom is coming from people who wanted
to bunnyhop, rocket boost around the game; and even though those elements are cool in the competitive world, I'm too busy with life to care to master it. I enjoyed casually jumping in for an hour or two of gaming.

I'm thinking just balancing weapons, and including a classic DM mode, with no loadouts would help.

I agree with the complaint that the multiplayer isn't bold enough. Either it needs to embrace classic Arena gameplay more fully or it needed to do something brand new (besides just playing as a demon).

But with that said, the game does feel pretty damn good for what it is, and ultimately I still think it's a lot of fun. It feels good to just move around the maps. Everything feels very fluid, which is vital. And while the multiplayer isn't a pure Arena shooter, it's still refreshing to play a shooter that incorporates a number of important Arena elements that we haven't seen for years (on consoles at least). There's a focus on constant movement since there's no need to reload, wait for health regeneration, aim down the sights, or sprint. And of course there's a number of important item pickups to encourage that movement.

It's also important to note how the game encourages using a quick combination of two different weapons, which is actually something pretty unique. Subtle, but unique.

I do think that a slight increase in movement speed, badass in-game music, and weapon pickups (to allow for more powerful weapon damage) would of course make the game feel a lot better, but oh well.

All in all, the multiplayer certainly won't be played for years to come, but I think it will be fun for a while and I can see myself coming back to it on occasion if there's no other good Arena shooter options on consoles anytime soon.