Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

birabuto.wad, Super Mario Land-inspired short map

download

Tested in prBoom+ complevel-9

I've had this knocking around my computer for years now, it was made right after Sigvatr made his Game Boy palette. (Which I've since lost and have no idea where to find) I let it sit unfinished for an eternity until I decided what the hell and threw the rest together. Don't expect an amazing level, just a small fun romp in Super Mario Land World 1.

I added Mario Doom for the complete experience.

Really cute map, though I prefer the Muda Kingdom theme, myself. I'd like if there weren't any invisible barriers blocking me from walking on the scenery (or falling to my death).

The map is really wide and open. The difficulty of the map is pretty nice though.
The third section looked really bland and needs some variety.

Other than that, you did a pretty nice job.

Haha cool. That screenshot brings me back -- I had that game for game boy and I played it all the time. Something about the graphics and sound of that game gave it a really strange atmosphere to me. The usually bright and sunny world of Mario was dull and grey in the game boy version...it was kinda creepy to me.

I'm not at all bothered by the many former humans, but I must agree with Impie and lament the invisible barriers. It was a fun map though, and I especially liked that if you managed to stay on the high ground, you were rewarded before the encounter with the first revenant.

Verdict: Well done!

I really like how you included these little nods to the mechanics of Super Mario Land, not just the visuals. (like how you can lock yourself out of the bonuses by failing to reach the high doors)

Pretty fun play in general. I didn't mind the hitscanners, as you can easily outwit them using blocks as cover. The restricted movement could be a little frustrating though, I agree on that. Made me take a few unnecessary hits.

Impie said:

I added Mario Doom for the complete experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJWs3-e2wHw&feature=youtu.be

Really cute map, though I prefer the Muda Kingdom theme, myself. I'd like if there weren't any invisible barriers blocking me from walking on the scenery (or falling to my death).

10/10 best video ever.

This map was fun. I don't tend to mind the impassable lines, though I suppose it might be a decent compromise to move them like 30 pixels away from the edge of the platforms so people hit them a bit less. Still, I didn't mind them. Didn't much mind the distant hitscanners at the start, tbh I found the second area's group to be worse, cover-wise.

I liked the multiple paths and the rewards on the top paths, but what's with the SSG only appearing on the bottom path? A SS and some armor are hardly a reward when an SSG is lost. Not that the SSG was needed, of course, but if I were to replay this map I'd say screw the first secret.

Speaking of secrets, the second one cannot be entered without crouching.

The switch at the end confused the Hell outta me; I just didn't see it. But it was kinda cool in retrospect.

I haven’t committed much time into playing this level yet but, what I have played I enjoyed. What I really did not like at all was the excessive use of impassable line-defs restricting movement of the player. I think that platforming in doom is tiring and bothersome but in this level it is a highlight of the level design. Why would you restrict the player from falling off the platform and falling to their deaths below?

That being said I would like to see this map expanded into a 4, 8 or 10 level episode set and bundled with Mario Doom to create a full gameplay experience.

Fonze said:

Speaking of secrets, the second one cannot be entered without crouching.

The switch at the end confused the Hell outta me; I just didn't see it. But it was kinda cool in retrospect.

Forgot to mention these, so I second them. Boss switch could be a bit more visible, maybe putting it against a lighter background, or just having the player walk over it in the middle of the alcove.