Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChickenOrBeef

Digital Foundry: PS4-1080p, Xbox One-900p

More like XO is just crap. Seriously, just about any game runs at 900p on it because it's not powerful enough to keep up.

Oh, come on, do you really care about such a small difference between 900p and 1080p? Only true graphics nerds care.. and they all play on PC.

Oh, and by the way, I just have to point that out: consoles suck.

ChekaAgent said:

Oh, come on, do you really care about such a small difference between 900p and 1080p?

If someone is deciding between the two console versions (or Xbox One vs a low-end PC) then this is good info to know.

ChekaAgent said:

Please don't start this shit.

MrDeAD1313 said:

Please don't start this shit.

In this modern Gen of consoles, it really is true though.
The lack of good exclusives, how far they are behind PCs in several aspects, and the fact that we still can't get FPS games to control really well on them kinda makes them suck a little.
It seems that every console had its own merits pre-360 and PS3.
Different and exclusive games, better ports, different features, etc.
But they all just blend together now, and most everything you can do on PS4 and XBox One, can be done better on PC.

I completely understand and for the most part agree with everything said here, but this is only gonna snowball into a shitfest as soon as the wrong people see the consoles suck post.

MrDeAD1313 said:

I completely understand and for the most part agree with everything said here, but this is only gonna snowball into a shitfest as soon as the wrong people see the consoles suck post.

Is it just me, or are people being unusually picky about anything Doom 2016 related?

I mean, all the griping and whining seems just more escalated for the new DOOM than most, and I honestly don't know why. Just gamers of today, I guess?

Also, I thought it was long acknowledged and accepted that XBONE was weaker than PS4 and most games that do 1080p on PS4 only do 900p on Xbox one due to that limitation... I wasn't expecting that any different in this case.

ChickenOrBeef said:

PS4: 1080p/60 FPS
Xbox One: 900p/60 FPS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LsH1jIbnO0

It looks like iD might not be able to achieve 1080p/60 FPS on all platforms after all.

Why would they? They'd just fry the poor unit. Not sure why people still obsess over things they think are big numbers but have virtually no fucking care of fluid gameplay. That shit is always transparent to the consumer in the end.

Careful guys you don't want this thread go into post hell because of shit posting.

Anyway
I agree with most of what you are saying regarding ps4 and xbone the ps4 is more powerful

Why am I not surprised XB1 yet gets bottlenecked AGAIN to 900p?

Glaice said:

Why am I not surprised XB1 yet gets bottlenecked AGAIN to 900p?

You would think being made by Microsoft would help

I played the beta on Xbox One with a projector on a 110 inch screen and it looked awesome. I also played on the same screen on my pc and it looked pretty much the same. And also did the same on a 55 inch tv between the 2. The difference was basically non existent to my eyes tbh.

As an Xbox One owner, I can tell there's no surprise there. And frankly I couldn't care less, my TV is quite old and its max resolution is of 720p, so it's not like the 900p resolution is gonna affect me in any way.

ChekaAgent said:

I think that console users should be very happy with this! Only middle end PC can perform on par with those in Doom. Budget cards wich shows most of the time to be the match for consoles barely handles Doom at 1080p/60....750 ti - 30/40fps 950 - 40/55fps
If XB can keep solid 60 at 900p -then it is an acheivment. Besides Sonyboys don't be sony elitists here....there's no garantee that PS 4 can handle singleplayer at 1080p all the time!

the main issue with consoles is that u will never get maximum quality, there will always be more optimizations on consoles, features turned down or off, and you will never be able to put in a new vid card and improve the results. i know a lot of people dont care, but ya.

rampancy said:

the main issue with consoles is that u will never get maximum quality, there will always be more optimizations on consoles, features turned down or off, and you will never be able to put in a new vid card and improve the results. i know a lot of people dont care, but ya.

This is actually one of the things I like about consoles. It's a fixed hardware configuration. When I sit down to play a game on a console, my mind automatically accepts that this is what I'm getting and there's no way to improve it except to wait for patches. When I play games on PC however, I'm always obsessed with framerate and spend hours tinkering with configs and cvars to squeeze all the juice out of my GPU, this obsession sometimes exhausts me and robs me of any desire to play the game.

It's weird. In the last generation, most multi-platform games were made for the 360 first thanks to its familiar architecture and then ported to PS3, due to being powerful yet utterly bizarre in its design and intent. A good PS3 port could be theoretically superior, but the amount of work it took usually meant the 360 versions of games were less buggy or more consistent.

Now both of this gen's systems have similar architecture, yet the Xbox One just can't keep up the pace or resolution capability with the Playstation 4. It makes me wonder just what the hell Microsoft underestimated along the way, especially considering the whole month long wait between the PS4's announcement and the XBO's that they specifically took a delay for to counter.

Spoiler

but then there's a multitude of other problems the xbox one initially had with its first announcements that had even casual consumers shit all over their rep and gave sony the edge this gen anyway, so whatever

The old head of Xbox (who is thankfully now replaced) thought it would be a smart, loyal, and genius idea to make the new Xbox more of an "entertainment" system with really shitty features. He got fired and the new head (who is significantly better, AND more attractive) has a new vision for what Xbox should be, it's just unfortunate that he has to do it on a failed entertainment system turned botched gaming platform (thankfully he's trying to give a lot of of support to pc, so hopefully future xboxes will be more pc like)

There are rumors that a system upgrade (for both consoles) will be revealed at E3

The Civ said:

In this modern Gen of consoles, it really is true though.
The lack of good exclusives, how far they are behind PCs in several aspects, and the fact that we still can't get FPS games to control really well on them kinda makes them suck a little.
It seems that every console had its own merits pre-360 and PS3.
Different and exclusive games, better ports, different features, etc.
But they all just blend together now, and most everything you can do on PS4 and XBox One, can be done better on PC.

They're basically budget PCs for people who can't be bothered to build one. I don't see the problem.

I prefer something trivial such as resolution differences instead of ye olde days of games being completely different in each console.
That, and exclusives are bad and in a perfect gaming world every game would be available for every system.

iirc, the reason for Xbox One ports usually being slightly worse than the PS4 versions has to do with the RAM being worse and the GPU being weaker.
Here's an article about the tech differences between both.

I was playing a very large Doom 2 map I have been tinkering with and had to reduce the resolution to 320x200, with the framerate being below 30. Didn't bug me much. In other words? Anyone who gets in a hissy fit about dipping to sub-50fps or losing 180 vertical pixels is a spoiled brat.

GoatLord said:

I was playing a very large Doom 2 map I have been tinkering with and had to reduce the resolution to 320x200, with the framerate being below 30. Didn't bug me much. In other words? Anyone who gets in a hissy fit about dipping to sub-50fps or losing 180 vertical pixels is a spoiled brat.

Except thanks to the dynamic scaling methods, people aren't actually losing pixels on technicality. The game's just going to render itself at a lower resolution, becoming a little bit blurrier as a result when it can't handle everything happening on-screen.

Buckshot said:

Is it just me, or are people being unusually picky about anything Doom 2016 related?

This I have noticed as well. Not exactly sure what it is about this game that draws the negativity out of most of the net. I personally think it looks great so far. Must be the false nostalgia in some of these people and the sense of this great entitlement (which I don't truely understand), but I also think it's partially because so many people believe this to be a game made by Bethesda and like to bash them as a company. I dunno. Hopefully these folks are blown away with the final product. High hopes for this game :P