Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chewyninja69

What is the largest known Doom/Doom 2 map in existence?

As the subject states, I'm curious as to what the largest map ever built in Doom is. I guess I should add as a small caveat, one that can be completed in a person's lifetime, ha.

rdwpa said:

Planisphere 2 is huge.

Your other caveat should be "is an actual map meant to be played and isn't just an enormous sector or something stupid".

Yeah, you're right.

Chewyninja69 said:

As the subject states, I'm curious as to what the largest map ever built in Doom is. I guess I should add as a small caveat, one that can be completed in a person's lifetime, ha.

The Eternal Doom maps are freakin' enormous. If they're not the largest, they gotta be up there on the list.

joe-ilya said:

Doom2
MAP10 for UV-max
MAP17 for UV-speed

We're talking about large maps here, bud.

The average Vela Pax map is pretty frickin' huge. Not sure how Mechadon manages to find the patience for that sort of mapping, heh.

well, holy hell and okumap clock in at 3-4 hour max times, I think. There's also memorial.wad..

Any monstrous maps out there that capitalize on (the presumably expanded limits) zdoomy formats?

Well, it's technically possible to make wraparound maps, which thus appear "infinite" in extension. If you do this in both axes and use a blockmap-limit removing port, then you'll have a truly infinite (if repeating) playing field. If you litter them with Pain Elementals, Archviles and a few cube spawners, it will be literally impossible to keep any area of it clear for long.

Maes said:

Well, it's technically possible to make wraparound maps, which thus appear "infinite" in extension. If you do this in both axes and use a blockmap-limit removing port, then you'll have a truly infinite (if repeating) playing field. If you litter them with Pain Elementals, Archviles and a few cube spawners, it will be literally impossible to keep any area of it clear for long.

Preempting this sort of 'technicality' map is exactly what I had in mind with the added caveat. :D

rdwpa said:

Preempting this sort of 'technicality' map is exactly what I had in mind with the added caveat. :D

Well, even such a map can have a pretty normal exit and a clear path to it. However, as it will wrap around, it will literally have no boundaries, and with the monster spawning mechanism I mentioned, it could quickly become unmanageable. But at least it'd still be "normal" gameplay.

That's different IMO than e.g. forcing the player through endless delays, making navigation impossible by littering the map with teleporters to random locations or squeezing in a cramped maze filled with pinkies with only a chainsaw to slowly advance etc.

If you're okay with requiring ZDoom, you can just use hubs. While not technically a single map, it would allow you to create vastly larger landscapes than you would otherwise and it would help keep the performance steady because Doom wouldn't have to have it all running at once. It's too bad none of the Doom source ports from what I can tell have a draw distance for sectors, it makes the big maps like Planisphere prone to lag.

I believe there was a map hosted (probably not exclusive) on the Doom Wad Station that started off looking like a replica of E1M1's starting area, only to fool you, because the level is for Doom II and is suppose to be really large in size. I don't remember what it was called though.

rdwpa said:

Sometime around 2004-2005, there were some conceptual deathmatch maps utilizing wraparound that made the rounds on ZDaemon. The wad was called "Get Lost!" or something along those lines. They were sparsely detailed, usually with craters, holes, and bits of light cover. Mostly, you were intended to spam rockets while trying to find someone.

Still a technicality, but they were closer to "intended to be played" than not.

Zdoom Community Map Project Take-II is pretty huge. It feels like multiple maps jammed into one.

Angry Saint said:

What about the largest Vanilla map?

I think Master O answered that question already... ;)

I wonder if it would be possible to make maps that exceed the normal grid limit. Obviously, not Vanilla compatible but for UMDF or something.

Someone on here, some time ago, posted some ridiculous recreation of Manhattan or something, it was many square miles in size. It didn't look very fun because it was too big and I don't think there was much in the way of non-stock textures or even enemies and shit.

GoatLord said:

Someone on here, some time ago, posted some ridiculous recreation of Manhattan or something, it was many square miles in size. It didn't look very fun because it was too big and I don't think there was much in the way of non-stock textures or even enemies and shit.

Is Planisphere 2 by perro seco

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/61701-planisphere-2/

MetroidJunkie said:

I wonder if it would be possible to make maps that exceed the normal grid limit. Obviously, not Vanilla compatible but for UMDF or something.

The UDMF standard doesn't define any size limits, so that you can indeed make maps of unlimited size in UDMF (possibly editing them as plain text, since the format is fully text based), but our currently existing sourceports might not be able to load such maps then, because AFAIK, they do have size limits for variables like coordinates.

It's less the ports but the computers they run on that have limits. With a 64 bit executable and 8 GB of RAM you'll already get quite a bit of mileage.

It'd be interesting if there was a source port with unlimited map size but, to compensate, there's a draw distance that cuts off a certain distance away to keep things going smoothly.