Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Civ

"The Return" - John Romero and Adrian Carmack's Announcement Video

I'm excited.

Although, I feel like the Star Wars reference would work better with the roles reversed as Carmack has been pretty much off the radar for a long time.

haha, that gave me a laugh. I'm more interested now.

Was hoping to see John Carmack pop up from behind some rocks and look about. :p

Good timing - since Doom is the popular subject in the gaming world many people will have the original id creators in mind. Anything they do will surely get free publicity.

Next vid: Tom Hall swoops down in a Millennium Falcon with Bobby Prince dressed in a Wookie suit.

Doom Dude said:

haha, that gave me a laugh. I'm more interested now.

Was hoping to see John Carmack pop up from behind some rocks and look about. :p

Ed said:

Next vid: Tom Hall swoops down in a Millennium Falcon with Bobby Prince dressed in a Wookie suit.

I want to see this evolve into a full-blown id Software reunion. My body is ready.

Doom's otherworldy atmosphere, exploration, action, speed, *art design*, level design, sound, vibrant colors and modifiability are what made it such an instant and enduring classic. I hope we are in store for something similarly brilliant!

That could mean anything, though. "MMO" is like "RPG" at this point -- it's kind of become meaningless.

jesus christ adrian carmack has aged poorly tho

I see they got Bobby Prince to do the Star Wars soundtrack

They talk about starting it in 2014, but then only actually creating it recently; I really hope this isn't a kickstarter project or something 2+ years out.
I'm hoping the 25th will blow me away

Why exactly is there a thread for this? There already is a thread for Night Work Games.

Also, I'm sick and tired of annoucements of announcements. Just freaking reveal it.

Who's next? Tom Hall? Bobby Prince? I just read not to long ago Romero found Adrian owned a fancy hotel or restaurant, but never suspected they'd ever reunite. Very cool!

CARRiON said:

Who's next? Tom Hall? Bobby Prince?

I really hope it'd be Sandy Petersen. This guy is master at level design!

ChekaAgent said:

I really hope it'd be Sandy Petersen. This guy is master at level design!

I couldve sworn there was a whole page of thread that said Sandy'a level design was dull .

"I do realise that a lot of the movement in new shooters is directly attributable to the console controller because you can't play well and fast with them so they had to come up with some design to make it so the player can do something else if they can't skillfully move quickly. They have to do something different.

"But I'm a PC mouse and keyboard type player," he countered.

"I love twitch 180s, fast targeting, fast firing, fast movement. So anything that's not like that - like current shooters that are basically a track going through a level to the exit and everything is closed off - is not interesting to me.

"I like to explore my levels, y'know? So I'm not a fan of on-rail shooting or slow-moving cover systems. That's not to say that Gears isn't a great game but as a player I'm more interested in speed and fast movement."

And this is why we love Doom/Romero.

boris said:

Gotta love announcements of announcements.

It actually helps, because more people will see the announcement proper on Monday. Also, it was released less than a week from the actual announcement so it's not that bad. I'm hyped!!! :)

I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out of this. It's nice to see Romero's passion reignited, especially after he's spent more than a decade fading out of existence. Having Adrian on board somehow further legitimizes this project to me too. Guess we'll see!

Now only if we can bring back Tom Hall. And American Mcgee would be nice too! And Petersen I guess.

Voros said:

I could have sworn there was a whole page of thread that said Sandy's level design was dull .

This