Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Orchid87

Finally played Wolfenstein New Order...

I guess I am a bit late to the party. Anyway. This game could be my favorite shooter of this generation. It has nice levels, amazing art style, movie-quality writing and voice acting. But damn the shooter part is SO bad. Every enemy except basic soldiers and dogs is a freaking bullet sponge! Those shotgun and rocket laucher soldiers do not go down even after you spend a clip of assault rifle ammo on them. Even with auto shotgun you have to shoot them point plank for a clip of ammo to be enough. They take 3-4 rockets to the face! And then there are even bigger super soldiers and robots that are even more pain in the arse. A good chunk of the game I was forced to use that laser gun which is not fun to shoot by itself and even less fun to backtrack looking for a charger for it. AI is non-existent. Yeah, why use AI when you can just make everyone freaking invincible. I had fun shooting regular rifle soldiers and the game would be much nicer if there were more of them instead of those armored douchebags.

And I really like to have a nice nazi shooter game. I loved Medal of Honor Airborne back in the day.

Orchid87 said:

It has nice levels, amazing art style, movie-quality writing and voice acting. But damn the shooter part is SO bad.

This is literally the polar opposite of my opinion.

I loved it. I'm playing old blood now, also awesome. It's got some pretty damn funny moments.

Well I thought it was certainly better than that god awful Wolfenstein 2009, but compared to Return to Castle Wolfenstein I feel it still fell short by quite a bit.

Avoozl said:

Well I thought it was certainly better than that god awful Wolfenstein 2009

Wolf2009 wasn't terrible, it just seemed to sit in the middle of the road, solid, yet neither groundbreaking or an instant classic.

Avoozl said:

Well I thought it was certainly better than that god awful Wolfenstein 2009, but compared to Return to Castle Wolfenstein I feel it still fell short by quite a bit.

Wow...for some reason I don't agree with any of this. Wolf'09 was probably my favorite shooter that year, and The New Order was just really damn good in general. I think I only really got held up on a couple of specific scenes, usually with the heavily-armored troops.

I'm stuck on this one part with this big chain gunner dude, there's like 5 and I thought it would be fun to play on death incarnate, I am in pain

WildWeasel said:

Wow...for some reason I don't agree with any of this. Wolf'09 was probably my favorite shooter that year, and The New Order was just really damn good in general. I think I only really got held up on a couple of specific scenes, usually with the heavily-armored troops.

With W2009 I did play and enjoy it during its time, but after playing though it a few times I just don't enjoy it at all, I just couldn't stand its flaws anymore.

As for WTNO I feel it just focused far too much more on narrative, executions, and gore, and graphics than on everything else, and the narrative felt like something which should be in a CoD game, I pretty much prefer BJ as a silent protagonist. To me WTNO just didn't feel like what Wolfenstein should but it was still the next best thing to RTCW regardless.

RTCW is the one game in the series I have found myself able to replay time and time again unlike the later two games and never get sick of it, it feels like a timeless classic to me.

I thoroughly enjoyed The New Order, S-ranked all the achievements actually, and without cheating (playing the last chapter on hardest difficulty to get the achievement for beating it on the hardest)
I liked Old Blood too, but haven't S-Ranked it as I don't like score attack type game modes.

I try to play Wolfenstein 2009 about every other year, get halfway through, and end up not going back until I restart it again. I don't hate it or dislike it, there's a lot of cool stuff with it, its just so average in the gameplay department.

I was pleasantly surprised by W:NO. I loved it. I think my taste in FPS has changed a lot in recent years, and it's possible I wouldn't have liked W:NO if I had played it 5-10 years ago. But it was just what the doctor ordered.

The story lost me towards the end with the supernatural weapons of mass destruction. I know that the supernatural is pretty well embedded into Wolf's lore, but it seemed out of place given the serious tone of the rest of the game. Aside from that, the campaign felt rich enough where I didn't feel as though I had been shorted upon completion. Plenty of memorable scenes, characters and missions. Combat was a perfect mix of old and new school. It was actually the only game I played through twice in recent memory.

I thought Machine Games knocked it out of the park. Had Bethesda handed the Doom IP over to them, I feel like it would have been in good hands.

New Wolfenstein and it's addon was very mediocre games by game mechanics/gamedesign, but art design was really SOMETHING. Personally I hate shooting system in Wolfenstein, because it's fucking boring, storytelling isn't something special too, game is too linear, stealth system sucks and I hate to push everytime fucking "e" button on my keyboard. But at least I has good memories about this game - this is Starbreeze boys, muthafucka!

Ed said:

Had Bethesda handed the Doom IP over to them, I feel like it would have been in good hands.

At least in story and writing, Machine Games could do new Doom a big favor.

As for Wolf 2009, well that year I played Killzone 2 and that game was a much better nazi shooting game. Well, they are not nazis technically, but very close. I really dig KZ2, it is like they mixed Quake 2 story and alien planet (which feels industrial and oppressive very much like Quake 2 Strogoss, unlike that pathetic Quake 4 wannabe) with Wolf high tech nazis. Wolf 2009 was just not really close.

Ed said:

The story lost me towards the end with the supernatural weapons of mass destruction. I know that the supernatural is pretty well embedded into Wolf's lore, but it seemed out of place given the serious tone of the rest of the game. Aside from that, the campaign felt rich enough where I didn't feel as though I had been shorted upon completion. Plenty of memorable scenes, characters and missions. Combat was a perfect mix of old and new school. It was actually the only game I played through twice in recent memory.

I thought Machine Games knocked it out of the park. Had Bethesda handed the Doom IP over to them, I feel like it would have been in good hands.

Why isn't it in good hands right now?

Orchid87 said:

At least in story and writing, Machine Games could do new Doom a big favor.

Ugh, no thanks. I'd rather not have Doomguy monolgue throughout the game that he's tired of his life and wishes things could have been different. As dire as the storyline for Doom is, it was never this depressing to sit through.

As for the new Wolfenstein and its expansion, I haven't played them (computer can't run them), but I will say that they pretty much are what was needed to revitalize the franchise.
Had it been the same "Indiana Jones meets the X-Files" during semi-historical WW2, it would not have become a hit I think, so in this regard, I'm thankful.

Though saying that, I personally would have preferred another "Indiana Jones meets the X-Files" and less cinematic than The New Order (Old Blood seems slightly better in that regard).

DooM_RO said:

Why isn't it in good hands right now?

I do believe it is, but if for some reason Id were not able to meet the deadlines and the project were passed onto them, I think they could produce a great game that would be true to the source material.

As far as storyline goes, I don't think they would try to inject heaps of dialog and cutscenes into a Doom game as the essence of Doom is blood, guts and action. The nameless space marine is essentially criteria. Wolfensten never had that stigma and there is plenty more wiggle room to drive that kind of narrative without pissing all over the game's legacy.

really enjoyed 80% of the effort. the biggest drawbacks were trying to track black clad enemies in dark environments and that damn accent on one of the sidekicks, the scottish (?) guy. i cringed every time he spoke. for whatever reason, it just brought the whole suspension of disbelief to a grinding halt every single time.

rampancy said:

really enjoyed 80% of the effort. the biggest drawbacks were trying to track black clad enemies in dark environments and that damn accent on one of the sidekicks, the scottish (?) guy. i cringed every time he spoke. for whatever reason, it just brought the whole suspension of disbelief to a grinding halt every single time.

The scottish guy is literally the best thing about Wolf TNO.