* Hell
* Site 3
* Caverns Area 1
* Caverns Area 2
* Communications Transfer
* Central Processing
* Primary Excavation Site

Oh, cool idea for a thread.
I, to be honest, like absolutely all Doom 3 levels. I'm serious, each level has something truly memorable about it. Most people will probably call most levels bland and similar to each other, but I disagree. I have a lot of memories about each level!

Anyway.. My favourite would be.... I don't even know what to choose.. Ok, I'd go with Delta Labs Sector 1. I like how this level starts: absolutely no enemies for the first 10-15 minutes of gameplay, which is very unusual for Doom 3. You proceed through the empty rooms, and you hear enemies, but yet you don't encounter them until you do something, and they start to appear. And when monsters finally show themselves, it's almost like a relief after long tension.. This level gave me nightmares.
Oh, and by the way it features huge turbine reactor! Cool!
And also this level introduces chaingun commandos - one of my favourite and most challenging enemy to fight!

My favorite one was the one with that demon head that popped out of the door, you heard creepy backwards Latin chanting, a skeleton popped out at you in the airvents and scared the shit out of you, and other stuff in that level... I can't remember its name. But it was scary as hell and definitely my favorite Doom 3 level apart from Hell.

EDIT: It's called Communications Transfer. That level was pretty scary IMHO.

DoomzRules said:

EDIT: It's called Communications Transfer. That level was pretty scary IMHO.

Yeah, that was pretty scary level. It also had those chainsaw zombies! Boo!

ChekaAgent said:

Yeah, that was pretty scary level. It also had those chainsaw zombies! Boo!

I used to be scared of the chainsaw zombies, until I realized that they had chainsaws and then I would always play "Duel of the Fates" in the background while I pulled out my chainsaw and said "LET'S HAVE A DUEL! HENSHI A GO-GO BABY!" and then I would laugh hysterically as I chainsawed the chainsaw zombie... until the headless chainsaw zombie popped out of nowhere, I screamed and ran away as fast as I could...

I don't know what it is, but those headless chainsaw zombies always get me.... even to this day.

That and the Backwards Latin door that has the demon head pop out at you.... always made me wonder what kind of demon it was, and how big the demon was.... thoughts like that are what kinda scared me. =P

Like it's bigger than it actually seems. =3

All the way Delta levels, I like how it starts with no demons, how later You can play with portal pads and how it ends with two hellknights boss fight.

Gzegzolka said:

All the way Delta levels, I like how it starts with no demons, how later You can play with portal pads and how it ends with two hellknights boss fight.

They were a nice tribute to my favorite level from the first episode of Doom (Episode 1 Mission 8) so a big plus to that. =)

On my second through I also like Mars City and Alpha Labs, I like design, lot of interesting to watch machines. Plus You are under powered, so even imps and pinkys can be dangerous. You have weak guns and lot of weak zombies to fight with.

Cool topic:)

For me, the best level by far is HELL, which is very unique compared to the rest of the game and it is one of the best levels in any shooter i´ve played.

My other favorite levels would be:
MARS CITY UNDERGROUND with its spooky atmosphere. At the start tension is slowly building up as you try to find a lost scientist. And when you finally find him, Hell invasion begins (i love that cutscene.) Also, this level has a few cool secrets.

ENPRO PLANT - Cool level, lots of action and long and scary elevator ride. And i also like that cutscene when Lost Soul is being introduced.

CAVERNS 1 AND 2
CENTRAL PROCESSING + CENTRAL SERVER BANKS

I also like Delta Labs (my favorite probably Sector 3, where you get to use the teleports.)

I feel bad that I've played through Doom 3 twice and can't fucking remember any of the map names.

I found Alpha Labs - Sector 1 to be the scariest map in the entire game. It is my favorite for that reason. There are so many freaky and memorable things in that level. It is really dark and filled with terrifying ambience and plenty of zombies. Some parts still give me chills.

Pretty much just Hell. id really dropped the ball with making it one level and having 90% of the game be techbase.

The Hell level. Though to be honest I think they could have made it more interesting, for a lack of a better term. I think Hell was just missing something, but I don't know what that something would be.

RUSH said:

I found Alpha Labs - Sector 1 to be the scariest map in the entire game. It is my favorite for that reason. There are so many freaky and memorable things in that level. It is really dark and filled with terrifying ambience and plenty of zombies. Some parts still give me chills.

For me it was Communications Transfer. If only because that demon head pops out at you and you hear Latin chanting, and then you wonder if there's a huge demon behind that door, you crawl through the vents and a skeleton jumps out at you; then you hear little children, and it's just fucking creepy.....

But I agree with you Alpha Labs was certainly scary. As was the one level with cryotubes.

Cool thread, especially given it's all fresh in my mind having just played the game through for the first time. Tried it a few years ago without a lot of varied gaming experience and it's fair to say Alpha Labs Level 1 did for me. Same this time, but with the back catalogue of Silent Hill games played in the meantime the abject fear was manageable. The whole game is colossal, plays sooo smooth (love the 'bounce' as you manoeuvre around flipping out bigger guns than the last one etc), and for me the Martian ruins are a world apart....just plain 'alien'. I spent hours just taking it in (once the minions of Hades had been despatched, naturally). Am now starting RoE, one Boss offed and a lot of fun being had with the time-buggerer.

As a fan of the original back in the day, it was great to see 3 hit similar yet different heights. It's fair to say I'm rather excited for the new one :)

Soz, bit of a ramble, but there's some topic in there somewhere.

Andes Attack said:

Cool thread, especially given it's all fresh in my mind having just played the game through for the first time. Tried it a few years ago without a lot of varied gaming experience and it's fair to say Alpha Labs Level 1 did for me. Same this time, but with the back catalogue of Silent Hill games played in the meantime the abject fear was manageable. The whole game is colossal, plays sooo smooth (love the 'bounce' as you manoeuvre around flipping out bigger guns than the last one etc), and for me the Martian ruins are a world apart....just plain 'alien'. I spent hours just taking it in (once the minions of Hades had been despatched, naturally). Am now starting RoE, one Boss offed and a lot of fun being had with the time-buggerer.

As a fan of the original back in the day, it was great to see 3 hit similar yet different heights. It's fair to say I'm rather excited for the new one :)

Soz, bit of a ramble, but there's some topic in there somewhere.

Silent Hill is a great franchise. A shame they cancelled Silent Hills... a first-person Silent Hill game would be absolutely horrifying.

Anyway, one of the reasons I loved Doom 3 back in the day was the mystery around it... kinda like the original Dooms with the whole sense of mystery and atmosphere...

The new Doom seems to rekindle that feeling within me... so here's to hoping the new Doom is atmospheric, moody, and mysterious. :)

DoomzRules said:

Silent Hill is a great franchise. A shame they cancelled Silent Hills... a first-person Silent Hill game would be absolutely horrifying.

Anyway, one of the reasons I loved Doom 3 back in the day was the mystery around it... kinda like the original Dooms with the whole sense of mystery and atmosphere...

The new Doom seems to rekindle that feeling within me... so here's to hoping the new Doom is atmospheric, moody, and mysterious. :)

Aye a real shame about SHs, though tbh no developer got close to the originals, I guess only the Japanese can make western-styled horror with a Japanese folklore-inspired mindset. Not that Homecoming or Downpour aren't great games with delicious atmosphere, they just miss 'something' that made the first 4 so odd / edgy.

Atmosphere is everything to me in games, which comes from the first 2 games that caught my adult attention in a big way. Pretty much all of the first Tomb Raider, and the red skies / mountainscapes of Doom. When you emerge from a building to be confronted by that blood red sky, you suddenly know that the shit you're in is way deeper than previously imagined. It invokes just as strong feelings now as it did 20 years ago. That's when I know a game has me, when something about it makes every step forward a dreadful prospect, but you know that's the way you gotta go, and Doom 3 hit that perfectly.

DoomzRules said:

For me it was Communications Transfer. If only because that demon head pops out at you and you hear Latin chanting, and then you wonder if there's a huge demon behind that door, you crawl through the vents and a skeleton jumps out at you; then you hear little children, and it's just fucking creepy.....

Yeah, that level was fantastic as well. The second scariest I would say. Also, there's that moment where the lights go out and that headless zombie slowly stumbles down the hallway towards you in complete darkness. The Alpha Labs had a really lonely and desolate creepiness to them that is some of the scariest I've ever played of any level in any game, ever. I liked the cavern levels too. Being underground they had a dark "cold" feeling that was unique and sometimes claustrophobic.

Man, I love Doom 3.

My favorite Doom 3 levels? Lets see;

Mars City (When hells breaks loose literally)
Alpha Labs
Delta Labs
Hell (I adore Doom 3's hell, it's like something right out of Clive Barker)

Mostly the Hell level, that's when the game starts getting a Classic DOOM feel, and I love It.

Server Bank.
The first fight there takes place in a square-shaped corridor linked to two somewhat spacious (spacious for Doom 3, take note) chambers. A plethora of enemies spawns, ranging from Wraiths to Arch-Viles. This is one of the rare instances in the game where you can actually run'n'gun - and you pretty much have to, to avoid encirclement, like in Dead Simple. Of course, most of the game consists of monster traps or in-your-face demons waiting for you on the other end of corridor, making it horribly boring. But I remember Server Bank fondly - at least for once there is some space for actual Doom-esque action.
Other than that, Caverns 2 are similar to Server Bank - short, spacious and packed with strong monsters spawning constantly.
What a pity that the rest of game is such a chore...

Andes Attack said:

Aye a real shame about SHs, though tbh no developer got close to the originals, I guess only the Japanese can make western-styled horror with a Japanese folklore-inspired mindset. Not that Homecoming or Downpour aren't great games with delicious atmosphere, they just miss 'something' that made the first 4 so odd / edgy.

Atmosphere is everything to me in games, which comes from the first 2 games that caught my adult attention in a big way. Pretty much all of the first Tomb Raider, and the red skies / mountainscapes of Doom. When you emerge from a building to be confronted by that blood red sky, you suddenly know that the shit you're in is way deeper than previously imagined. It invokes just as strong feelings now as it did 20 years ago. That's when I know a game has me, when something about it makes every step forward a dreadful prospect, but you know that's the way you gotta go, and Doom 3 hit that perfectly.

Yup. Doom 3 is a good Doom game in it's own right. Sure it may not be as fast-paced, but it admirably made a good attempt to retell the Doom story and it did. Only complaint I have is this. Why was the Hell portion not extended? You need more Hell! Why no Spider Mastermind as the final boss? I mean after defeating the Cyberdemon you should have entered a portal back into Hell to confront the REAL Mastermind (Spider Mastermind) behind the operation!

That way it would really be a retelling of the original Doom.

I guess either it was time constraints, Activision, or id being lazy. One of the three...

Anyway, @RUSH

The cavern levels/excavation levels were pretty cool too! They really felt otherworldly, left you curious, and for the most part had me on edge. I was really fucking terrified playing those levels. Even now, I still get a bit creeped out! XD

@shotfan

I also like Server Bank, I think it's either that one or Central Processing since they are literally remakes of E1M6 from Doom which is pretty sweet IMHO.

And Hell was awesome, it really felt ominous and creepy like it should.

Damn, AirRaid is now a Moderator of this forum too ..
On topic i forgot to mention Delta Labs boss Level, I Like bosses like this that begin with Cool cutscene .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Damn, AirRaid is now a Moderator of this forum too ..
On topic i forgot to mention Delta Labs boss Level, I Like bosses like this that begin with Cool cutscene .

XD What's the matter? Bad blood between you and AirRaid or something? :P

Anyway, the boss fight between you and the Spider Lady was pretty intense. :3

Yeah that too .
Means i like every boss So far and Especially Betruger final Boss from ROE, Having to use the HellHeart and time your Attacks, by Far the most challenging Doom 3 Boss .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Yeah that too .
Means i like every boss So far and Especially Betruger final Boss from ROE, Having to use the HellHeart and time your Attacks, by Far the most challenging Doom 3 Boss .

Oh yeah definitely agree there. lol I don't know how I beat Betruger in Doom 3 ROE. To be fair though it was BFG Edition so maybe they nerfed him? IDK.