Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Julian

Get Music For Free

Bigdog sent us words about new DOOM music remixes hosted at Doomcenter:

Ashley Carr has released a large set of Doom music remixes that he has done. They include 23 songs total, all of Episode 1, Epsiode 2, and Episode 3. The format is MP3 and the file is approximately 65 Mb.

A small feature about the music and Ashley are available in addition to the file.

heh. I downloaded this yesterday. this guy likes to use flangering a lot. some of these sound great, some not so great. some worse than the originals, but you can get that with remixes. E1M1 sounded great. E2M8, one of my favourites, sounded like something from Dire Straits - great samples there. I give it a thumb up.

65 meg though, I'll wait for a few more opinions before I DL that monster. :p

Those remixes are pretty cool, I guess I'll keep them as in-game music. Now where are the Doom2 remixes? :D

Since people are concerned about file size, I must say this: it's probably not worth it, especially if you are looking for something new. Now, I really don't feel great about saying that, but I can't really think of any other way to put it. This pack offers an hour of good ol' Doom tunes...but they're just that: the same tunes.

Though there are some cool remixes in this pack, most of the songs seem completely unchanged -- sure, okay, maybe instead of a "violin" sound, there's now a "brass" sound -- but there's nothing terribly new or exciting (with the exception of the e1m1, which is a lot harder than the original and pretty damn cool). If you want to hear how e1m5 sounds with a ton of bass, or what happens when you turn the creepy e2m4 into a Mariachi trumpet tune, you will be disappointed. It's the same stuff you've heard before...almost.

That isn't to say it's bad: I applaud the author for this pack. I happen to be at the computer lab and have a lighting-fast connection, so it only took about 45 minutes to download, and I am enjoying it right now. But I thought I should mention that those expecting to hear something radically different will be disappointed.

Lightning fast? I downloaded it in less than 10 minutes, and I'm only on cable :)

NiGHTMARE said:

Lightning fast? I downloaded it in less than 10 minutes, and I'm only on cable :)

Probably a lightning fast connection for a *computer lab* :)

NiGHTMARE said:

Bah, it took me 30 minutes to get it. Stupid MGON.

NiGHTMARE said:

Well, I had some other shit going on -- constant recompilation of 40-file MSVC++ project located on a network drive probably ate some bandwidth. Here's a tip, kids: think long and hard about #include hierarchies, lest you end up with a lot of idle time thanks to the unnecessary compilation of unrelated code.

Well Shit Lut, you tells me not to download it, but then you get me all hot and bothered over E1M1.... :p Anyone wanna put the good tracks up somewhere for download? :-D No? Okay, I understand......