Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CyRaptor

The Dreaded First Level...

I just completed my very first level for Doom, which will be the first level in a megawad I plan on creating (alone, ATM).

Now, I know first levels are infamous for being completely horrendous, but I promise you mine is not as bad as most. At least in my mind it isn't.

The level is admittedly a bit small, but as I mentioned it's an introductory level, roughly the size of Doom II's Map01 (but not quite as linear).

Anyway, I'd really really appreciate if you guys try it out and LMKWYT. Questions, comments, and suggestions are welcome and encouraged.

The download link is http://www.geekshelf.com/gallery/CyRaptor/DOOM/rubicon.wad

Edit: BTW, the level is called "The Gatehouse"... the megawad will be called "Rubicon".

It's a pretty cool level. Way too much ammo though.
Is it your first ever released or first ever made level?

First created and released for Doom, although I've created levels for Duke3D before (never released any though).

I thought there might be too much ammo. I'll cut it down for the next release. Thanks for the tip.

Lets just hope if such a port is ever made, it doesn't keep trashing your levels like Build tends to... :|

Randy was saying once that he'd like to incorporate a build-style renderer for ZDoom, so I'd assume a build-style editor might come with it if it's ever done.

GooberMan said:

Randy was saying once that he'd like to incorporate a build-style renderer for ZDoom, so I'd assume a build-style editor might come with it if it's ever done.

imo the original build is an amazing build style editor.

but anyway, using build to render in doom would require a lot of work. i hate zdoom, therefore i doubt mr heit could port the build renderer into doom.

esayeek said:

i hate zdoom, therefore i doubt mr heit could port the build renderer into doom.

Now that sounds logical.

boris said:

Now that sounds logical.

sorry i didnt explain myself very well

i hate zdoom because i believe it is poorly designed, esp. with regard to advanced editing features. if this poor design is a reflection of mr. heit's abilities, then i doubt he could port the build renderer into zdoom.

but anyway, there wouldnt be much to gain by using the build renderer. what does it offer?

1. hires - is now present in zdoom
2. hires textures - is now present in zdoom
3. sprites that appear flat like a wall or a floor - would be simpler to code this functionality into the doom renderer than to port build
4. look up look down (yshear) - is now present in zdoom
5. slopes - are now present in zdoom
6. more bugs - zdoom benefits from the many coding geniouses combined together and is pretty stable at times. the build renderer on the other hand, has not seen much user modification since its release, and the source released is to an earlier build *editor* version, and the build renderer used in the games themselves had many bug fixes on this.
7. room over room - the only real advantage. however, this would also require a reworked doom physics engine, not just renderer, esp. with reguard to colisions and interactions between mobjs. and before you talk about z checking code that has been added to zdoom and other source ports, build allows room over rooms not even to be "over" eachother but to share the same x, y, and z space, and handles collisions correctly for things that occupy the same x, y, and z space, among other things. see E2L11 and E3L10 (iirc) of dn3d for good examples of this.

esayeek said:

i hate zdoom because i believe it is poorly designed, esp. with regard to advanced editing features.

how so?

It's a great level.

Good architecture.
Good level of detail.
Episode 1'ish.
Too much ammo, tho :P
It's a little short.

I'm looking forward to seing more maps from you.

Shaviro said:

It's a little short.

The level is admittedly a bit small, but as I mentioned it's an introductory level, roughly the size of Doom II's Map01 (but not quite as linear)

I thought it was great. The copious amounts of ammo didn't bother me much but it *was* pretty short. The thing with the rocket launcher was quite nice.

LordTrasher said:

If someone creates a build-style editor for Doom, I'll worship the ground they walk on.

why do you say that?

Because I can actually... you know... USE build. Well, build for Duke3d, anyways (I never got the hang of Shadow Warrior or Blood's versions)

LordTrasher said:

Because I can actually... you know... USE build. Well, build for Duke3d, anyways (I never got the hang of Shadow Warrior or Blood's versions)

I hate build for duke. It seemed weird and confusing. Nothing for me.

no build for me, dck all tha way

zdoom is just a glorified version of hexen for doom (without the big, black, 6-legged freak)

No. Instead it's a big, mostly metallic, 4-legged freak, heheh.